Magnificent disciplines such as yoga have become popular today serving the human being in order to know himself and remain whole and healthy physically, mentally and spiritually. There is a label or social prejudice that this practice is mainly designed with physical objectives, when in truth it considers exercises and postures as one of the many ways to reach more harmonious levels of consciousness, to live with peace and integral well-being.
For this reason, at FastlyHealwe explain the main yoga exercises at home for beginners , explaining their effects not only on the physical body, but their relationship with our emotional health.
Table of Contents
Easy Yoga Exercises for the Back: Cat-Cow
This exercise called “cat-cow” is performed by leaning on the floor with both knees and hands open, separated at the width of the hips and shoulders respectively. The hands should be wide open, with the fingers apart. In such a pose, you should practically form a square. From there, proceed to the following:
- Inhale and hunch your back down, keeping your shoulders and hips in place. The head tilts back a little as a result of the movement of the back.
- Exhale, contracting the navel to the maximum and bend inwards. Your head follows the movement, in such a way that you are looking towards your belly.
- Continue the cycle for about 26 repetitions, inhaling and exhaling through your nose.
This is one of the main yoga exercises that involves few risks and quite easy for beginners, it is very effective in relieving back pain and also relieving the stress of the day, since our brain and nervous system achieve better oxygenation and reception. of nutrients, thanks to it by mobilizing the encephalo-spinal fluid, relaxing the muscle blockages (tensions) that interrupt its flow. Once you gain confidence with the movement, you can increase the speed of the movement.
People with recent accidents or serious cervical problems, as well as patients who have recently operated on the lumbar back, should use caution or consult with their trusted professional.
Platform pose for abdomen, legs and buttocks
For this yoga exercise to do at home , start by lying on your back, legs hip-width apart, and bringing your heels as close to your buttocks as possible so that you can grasp or at least touch them. From this position:
- Inhale and raise your torso until a straight line is formed from the knees to the neck.
- Hold up for a second, contracting your glutes and abdomen.
- Exhale as you come down to the starting position while maintaining control of the movement, that is, without dropping down.
- Repeat 26 times.
Keep your hands flat on the floor or held by your heels. It is crucial to respect the indication of the alignment of the knees to the neck. Raising the pelvis too much is useless and raising it incompletely can cause discomfort, as it is a sign that you are not doing the exercise correctly, since you are not contracting the indicated muscles.
This exercise works primarily for the following purposes:
- Adjust and tone buttocks, abdomen and lower back,
- Relieve lumbar tension and reduce sciatica pain .
- Fight circulation problems and varicose veins in the legs without the difficulty of other inverted postures.
- Reduce stress.
- Improve intestinal health if you contract the abdomen when reaching up and while descending.
- On an emotional level: alleviate accumulated fears and reduce anxiety about sex.
Relaxing post-meal yoga posture
This is a very simple remedy that you can use after at least 5 minutes after all your meals. Simply lie on your back and hug your knees bringing them to your chest. In this pose, just close your eyes and focus on taking deep breaths and applying moderate pressure with your legs on your abdomen as you make your hug tighter.
This posture is excellent to calm the agitated heart, face moments of anxiety, help sleep and is indicated by physiotherapists against lumbar stenosis , because if you emphasize the strength of the hug, you will allow the compressions in that area of the back to relax .
The estimated basic time is 3 to 5 minutes, although it can be so relaxing that it will surely cause you to stay that way for much longer.
Yoga exercise to open the chest and breathe better: spinal twists
This movement is done sitting, so that you can stay upright in order to breathe at your maximum capacity. Ideally, you should be sitting on the floor with your legs crossed in front of you, but if that way you are unable to maintain an upright and comfortable posture, place a cushion under your buttocks or, in cases of greater difficulty, sit on the end of a chair.
Take hold of the shoulders with your hands (the thumbs behind and long fingers in front of the shoulders) and without releasing them, begin to perform spinal twists as follows:
- Inhale turning your torso to the left side,
- Exhale turning to the right side.
- Suggested number of repetitions: 13 twists to each side.
The movement is not only of the chest, as the head follows the turns to the sides. Breathing is ideally through the nose and it is crucial that you breathe at your maximum capacity to relax tensions in the rib cage, which are often underestimated but affect our health by not allowing us to breathe fully.
Keep the elbows at the sides of the body (without closing forward) so that the opening of the chest is fulfilled and also relaxes the pain in the middle back.
Simple meditation for beginners
The act of meditation is central to yoga , considered a habit that we should all have, as well as bathing, only that it works on a mental level and changes what you attract in your life. Spending at least 5 minutes listening to your breathing and making it deep and conscious, palpating your heart pulse or observing your own thoughts, are necessary resources if we want a full life.
The technique of observation of thoughts is very useful when there is something that we do not understand in our own lives due to beliefs that we do not realize that automatically condition or when there are reactions and attitudes that we do not like about ourselves. Here are the steps to do it:
- Close your eyes focusing your gaze upward, between the eyebrows.
- Take about 5 deep breaths through your nose.
- Being aware of deep breathing: Internally “observe” all the thoughts and beliefs that go through your head.
- Just dedicate yourself to watching them go by and not identifying with any of them. No matter how much you agree or disagree with one or another belief or emotion, let them go.
- After about 5 minutes, remember or think about specific situations and attitudes that you want to correct or reflect on and keep applying this visualization technique. Daring to question your beliefs and self-limitations is a fundamental step for happiness.
- If your meditation is in the morning, then dedicate yourself to projecting with the greatest of daring and mental clarity what you want for your day. Visualize as much detail as possible.
It is important that you respect the steps so that your mind is relaxed and not reactive when starting the visualization, but you will not respond from true consciousness, but from pride or emotional impulse and what you project will be contaminated by fears and self-limitations.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Yoga exercises at home for beginners , we recommend that you enter our Wellbeing category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.