The rice water is considered one of the best natural remedies for home treatment of various disorders, such as diarrhea. One of the most positive aspects of this product is that it can be used by people of any age, even babies, because its properties regulate intestinal function and prevent dehydration. However, it is always important to consult with the specialist before consuming it or giving it to babies and young children.
At the same time, this remedy has large amounts of B vitamins, vitamin E, antioxidants and minerals, which can also be ideal for caring for hair, skin and treating digestive system disorders. If you find yourself having liquid stools, in the following FastlyHealarticle, we detail everything about rice water for diarrhea: benefits and how to do it.
Table of Contents
Causes of diarrhea
Diarrhea is a very common intestinal disorder in the world population and is associated with numerous causes, being many times possible that it disappears on its own within 4 days and that the doctor has not been able to find the cause of it. A person can develop this alteration for the following causes:
- Infections , especially by viruses, although it can also be bacterial or parasites. It occurs when you eat food or water contaminated with these microorganisms.
- Traveler’s diarrhea , a common problem in people traveling to developing countries.
- Side effect of certain medications , such as some antibiotics, magnesium antacids, and cancer drugs.
- Food allergy or intolerance.
- Pathologies of the digestive system , including celiac disease , Crohn ‘s disease , ulcerative colitis and the irritable bowel syndrome .
Properties and benefits of rice water for diarrhea
One of the biggest complications when suffering from diarrhea, especially in children, is dehydration. When you have this condition, it is essential to ingest a large amount of fluid constantly so as not to generate this complication and that the patient becomes dehydrated.
One of the biggest benefits of rice water for those with diarrhea is that it helps to hydrate the body quickly. Thanks to all the nutrients and vitamins it offers, consuming rice water will not only help calm diarrhea, but also hydrate the body.
Avoid large losses of liquids
With the stools that are in such a liquid state, a large amount of fluids essential for the proper functioning of the body are lost. For this reason, the patient can also lose significant amounts of nutrients in this way, so it is possible that the person begins to feel worse and worse.
Rice water has starch , which is essential to help the body not lose so much fluids, since this nutrient has the ability to absorb part of the fluids , causing less loss of them and stool fecals gradually take shape and become more compact. Thanks to the starch, consuming rice water is totally beneficial to combat diarrhea.
Repairs the intestinal flora
When a person has diarrhea, the intestinal flora is affected, so it is necessary that it is in a better state so that the stools are not so liquid. Rice water, thanks to its properties, has the great benefit of repairing the intestinal flora and, after a short time, begin to give more shape to each stool.
Likewise, rice water is totally beneficial for those who suffer from diarrhea because it speeds up the healing process a bit because it has a demulcent effect , that is, it protects the internal mucous membranes of the digestive system , calms the discomfort and irritation that may have in the stomach or intestine. Due to the properties mentioned above, diarrhea can disappear in a short time if rice water is consumed in the right way.
Other benefits of rice water
Mainly, the astringent, anti-inflammatory and demulcent properties are what give the great benefits of rice water for the health of the organism. These benefits are:
- It helps regulate intestinal transit, since it considerably facilitates and improves digestion.
- It prevents aging thanks to its inositol content, which helps to form healthy cells.
- Take care of the skin, as it improves its texture and reduces the presence of wrinkles. In the following article, you can see how to make rice water for face .
- Accelerates recovery from mild sunburn or skin irritation from the sun.
- Improves the manifestations of acne: reduces pimples, blackheads and redness.
- Protects hair due to insitol, so it helps to repair and take care of it, even in cases of dandruff or seborrhea.
How To Make Rice Water To Fight Diarrhea
This rice water recipe is very simple and totally beneficial for many aspects, but mainly to eliminate diarrhea and protect the patient from various complications. To do it, simply, you need:
- 4 cups of water.
- 1 cup of rice, not whole grain.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Put the water with the 2 cloves of garlic, salt and a little oil over low or medium heat.
- Before the water comes to a boil, add a cup of unwashed rice and cook for 20 minutes over very low heat, stirring occasionally so that the starch is more easily released.
- Finally, it is removed from the heat and left to rest for a few minutes, then strain the content and save the water.
- As an option, when boiling the water, you can also add a lemon wedge, a bay leaf or a piece of cinnamon to flavor and enhance its astringent and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Drinking 2 or 3 glasses of rice water a day helps treat diarrhea and other intestinal diseases.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Rice water for diarrhea: benefits and how to make it , we recommend that you enter our Digestive system category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.