It is known as diarrhea to loose and watery stools that everyone has experienced at some point in their life. Doctors diagnose a person with diarrhea when they evacuate at least 2 or 3 times a day with loose stools and without much form. It is generally a short-term alteration since it lasts for 1 or 2 days. However, sometimes it can show up for a little longer, depending on what’s causing it.
It is a widespread pathology and can have various causes that must be examined by a professional so that he is the one who prescribes the correct treatment. Although many times no medication is needed, it is possible that in certain situations, the diarrhea is very excessive and can lead to dehydration of the patient, which is why certain drugs are required. In the following FastlyHealarticle, we detail some medications for diarrhea in adults, although you must consult a doctor before consuming them.
Main causes of diarrhea
Among the most common causes of diarrhea are:
- Suffer contamination by some bacteria present in food or water.
- Although the former is much more common in children, getting certain viruses such as rotavirus or norovirus.
- Having parasites that can be found in food or water.
- Being under treatment using medicines or antacids that contain magnesium.
- Suffering from intolerance or sensitivity to some foods that cause problems digesting normally.
- Suffering from any stomach, colon, or small intestine pathology.
- Like those who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, the colon is not working perfectly.
Can other symptoms accompany diarrhea?
Those people who have diarrhea due to a particular pathology, it is possible they also have characteristic symptomatology of the disease; however, when the patient does not have a previous pathology and defecates loose stools, other symptoms may accompany them, such as:
- Stomach pains
- Feeling the urge to go to the bathroom urgently.
- Have loss of bowel control.
- If the patient is infected with a virus or bacteria, fever, chills, or blood in the stool.
- Dehydration when the diarrhea is terrible, and you don’t drink enough fluids.
Medicines for diarrhea in adults
To find out which drug is best suited to each case, it is essential to consult with a specialist. One of the drugs that the doctor may prescribe is loperamide, as it is one of the most widely used antidiarrheals due to its excellent efficacy . It is responsible for slowing down the intestinal action and reducing the number of stools that a person with loose stools can make; however, this drug may be contraindicated in some instances with diarrhea because it can worsen the situation in those patients who have an infection, for what is essential to consult with a doctor before ingesting.
Likewise, medicines containing bismuth subsalicylate can be of great help for certain people suffering from diarrhea. However, it is more recommended that it be ingested in cases where the patient is experiencing a mild episode of watery stools.
Suppose the situation with diarrhea is moderate or severe. In that case, professionals may advise ingesting, among other things, rehydrating fluids to recover both the nutrients lost with bowel movements and the essential fluid for the proper functioning of the body. Likewise, the consumption of probiotics can be recommended by the specialist to restore the intestinal flora; being necessary to follow their indications regarding the dose and duration of treatment.
Prevention of diarrhea
It is difficult to avoid the stool of watery stools, although two types of diarrhea can be prevented: that caused by rotavirus and that of the traveler. First, some vaccines must be administered to both babies and adults to avoid contracting this virus that causes diarrhea.
In the second case, traveler’s diarrhea, there are certain factors to consider to prevent the appearance of diarrhea . Among them, the following stand out:
- Consume only bottled or purified water, not only to drink but also to make ice or brush your teeth.
- Boil or treat the water with iodine tablets before consuming it if it comes from the tap.
- Be sure that the cooked food you eat is hot and properly cooked.
- Do not consume fruits and vegetables that are not washed or peeled.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Medications for diarrhea in adults , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.