The presence of fat balls on the neck can create uncertainty. However, they are harmless and do not require treatment in the vast majority of cases. These lesions can appear at any age and at any time. They are more common in women than in men.
Often people may complain about more than one fat ball in different parts of the body. The vast majority of them are asymptomatic, so their removal is unnecessary unless their condition changes due to their location and causes pain or is unsightly.
These little balls of fat are known as lipomas and are formed by an accumulation of fat cells from adipose tissue. If you want to learn more about the causes of the b wavelets of fat in the neck and how to eliminate them , keep reading this article FastlyHeal .
Why are fastballs coming out of my neck?
The reason for the appearance of fat balls on the neck is not yet apparent. However, certain factors predispose their appearance:
- Age: lipomas are peculiar that they can appear at any age, although their appearance is more common between 40 and 60 years.
- Hereditary factors: heredity is the most common cause of these lesions, especially in those patients who have direct relatives who have suffered from lipomas since their probability of presenting them is higher.
- Gender: the fat balls in the neck can appear in both men and women; despite this, women have a greater risk of developing them due to the high predisposition to accumulate fat in specific body areas, such as the abdomen, thigh, and neck and breasts.
- Obesity: scientifically, it is not proven, but it is believed that being overweight or obese has to do with the appearance of fat balls since they are due to an accumulation of fat from adipose tissue.
- Pathological history: the patient’s medical history can reference the appearance of these lesions in cases of liver disease. Poor control of blood sugar levels can increase the risk of lipomas.
How are the fat balls under the skin
The characteristics of these injuries are as follows:
- They are found under the skin, in addition to the neck, on the abdomen, shoulders, arms, back, and thighs.
- They are usually located on the side and back of the neck.
- They are generally small; they can measure 5 cm in diameter, and in some cases, they can grow much more significantly, causing discomfort in the neck, such as difficulty breathing.
- They have a soft, doughy consistency to the touch, which allows them to be easily moved by applying pressure with your fingers.
- In some cases, these fat balls are painful; this occurs when they grow and pressure nerves that are nearby or in areas with many blood vessels around them.
Diagnosis of fat balls in the neck
To diagnose why you have fat balls in the neck, it is necessary to go to a doctor. Through physical examination, the presence of the lesion will be confirmed, and with the help of palpation, the volume and consistency of the lesion will be examined. In addition, the patient will be questioned about family history or diseases suffered previously; these will help establish differential diagnoses concerning other pathologies that may present with increased volume in the neck region.
- The ultrasound is an imaging study that is very helpful in diagnosing lipoma, exceptionally when large, and ruling that it adheres to deep planes.
- The biopsy is a survey through which the fabric of the lipoma is studied to confirm the content of the lesion is fatty tissue.
- In cases where other types of tumor lesions are suspected, other studies such as magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography are used.
How to remove fat balls from the neck
No medical treatment is necessary in cases where the lipoma on the neck is asymptomatic. When it is an injury that causes discomfort, the surgeon will recommend the removal of the damage, which is carried out through a surgical procedure that consists of the total removal of the fat balls in the neck. The system consists of making an incision in the neck region, where the lipoma is located after anesthesia. It is a straightforward procedure that can last from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the number of lipomas to be removed and the size of each lesion.
Liposuction is another method used to remove fat balls; this technique uses a syringe to remove lipoma by resection of the fat present in the lesion.
The neck is a sensitive area, so it should be given proper care once the presence of fat balls is detected. It is essential to bear in mind that the elimination of the fat balls will depend on the discomfort that you present due to the location of the injury. Due to this, it is necessary to diagnose a specialist doctor and evaluate it according to the type of injury you have in the neck.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Fat balls on the neck: causes and how to eliminate them, we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.