Nails are a great reflection of our state of health and say a lot about our image, and if we do not take care of them as they deserve, they can quickly become dehydrated, weak, and very brittle. To keep them in good condition and always have beautiful and healthy hands, it is essential to pay attention to daily nutrition and hygiene, and personal care habits because sometimes modifying these last aspects can be enough to have stronger and stronger nails. Long. However, it is always possible to get extra help and strengthen them quickly by using some natural products with repairing and moisturizing properties. Let’s see in this FastlyHealarticle how to harden nails and make them grow with the best home remedies.
Causes of brittle, brittle, and scaly nails
We know that nails are fragile when they tend to open in layers, are very soft, break at the slightest contact and look ridged. This low resistance can be the consequence of various factors, but among the most common are the following:
- We are using poor-quality polishes or subjecting the nails to continuous manicures.
- We are using poor-quality files or using them in the wrong way.
- They subject the nails to continuous and excessive contact with cleaning products or aggressive chemicals.
- Bad eating habits, mainly eating a diet poor in essential nutrients.
- I am suffering from nail infections, such as fungus or onychomycosis.
- Get in the habit of biting your nails.
- I am having problems with calcium retention.
- You are suffering from diseases that can affect the health of the nails, such as anemia, thyroid problems, kidney or liver diseases, etc.
- Have a weakened immune system.
Whenever brittle nails are the consequence of a health problem or the suffering of a specific condition, it is essential to carry out the treatment indicated by the specialist doctor in each case.
Harden brittle and flaky nails with natural oils
There are several natural oils with suitable properties to harden the nails and make them grow faster; let’s see below what they are and what benefits each of them can offer us:
- Castor oil is very rich in vitamin E, an excellent nutrient to strengthen nails and prevent enamels from weakening them excessively.
- Olive oil: hydrates them from the innermost layers and, in this way, hardens them, preventing them from breaking easily.
- Almond oil: it is a great natural moisturizer that prevents nails from becoming dehydrated, flaking, and breaking.
- Coconut oil: contains vitamin E and is moisturizing and antimicrobial, so, in addition to treating brittle nails, it protects them from infections and prevents the appearance of stretch marks on them.
The treatment consists of applying a few drops of the selected oil on the surfaces of all weak nails and leaving it to act overnight. The process can be repeated every day until the expected results are achieved.
How to toughen nails with lemon
Other of the most effective treatments that we can use to harden soft nails and make them grow stronger and healthier include lemon. In addition to strengthening them and preventing breakage, this fruit is ideal for whitening them and keeping them healthy at all times. Some of the best treatments are:
- Cut a lemon in half and rub the nails directly with one of the halves.
- Mix 1/2 cup of milk with the juice of 1 lemon and soak the nails in preparation for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze two lemons and dip your nails in the juice for a few minutes about two times a day.
Strengthen nails with garlic
Garlic stands out as a natural treatment to grow nails fast and keep them resistant. This widely consumed food contains sulfur and exerts an antioxidant and antibiotic action, so it not only accelerates the growth of nails but also helps prevent infections caused by fungi; In the case of suffering from this condition, there are suitable home treatments such as those shown in the article Home remedies for nail fungus. It can be used in the following ways:
- Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the garlic directly on the nails, leaving it to act for about 10 to 15 minutes each day.
- Chop two cloves of garlic and add them to a glass of water. Put your hands in the mixture and wait about 20 minutes.
- Crush one garlic clove and then boil it in 1/2 cup of water. When it has reached the boiling point, could you remove it from heat and let it cool? Add one teaspoon of lemon juice, mix and apply to the nails before going to sleep to act at night.
Apple cider vinegar for brittle nails
Apple cider vinegar is a product with many medicinal and aesthetic uses, and it has also turned out to be an excellent remedy for nail health. Mainly, it stands out for its antifungal and antimicrobial properties, but it also helps combat the fragility of the nails, making them grow healthy and strong. This is due to the vitamins, minerals, and acids in its composition.
To use apple cider vinegar as a remedy to harden brittle and scaly nails, the following steps should be followed:
- In 1 glass of mineral water, dilute 1/2 drink of apple cider vinegar and stir.
- Pour the mixture obtained into a container.
- Dip your nails in the resulting liquid and let them rest for about 15 minutes.
Hardening soft nails with a ponytail
Although it is known as one of the best infusions to eliminate retained liquids, horsetail can also be used to harden soft nails and even bites. The reason is that this plant contains a mineral called silica, which is perfect for strengthening them and achieving faster growth. After its application, the nails become much more resistant and do not break at the slightest contact or rubbing. The steps to follow for its application are:
- Prepare an infusion of horsetail.
- Wait for the information to cool down.
- Pour it into a bowl and soak your hands for about 15 minutes.
Homemade nail polish to harden and grow nails
In addition to the above home remedies for brittle nails, it is possible to prepare a natural polish by combining some natural products. This homemade polish can be used both as a treatment to harden the pins daily and as a protector before applying any polish.
- Three garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon
- One vitamin E capsule
- A transparent nail polish. This should be only half full.
- Open the vitamin E capsule carefully and pour the liquid into the transparent nail polish.
- Peel the garlic cloves, mince them, and then crush them with the blender.
- Add the garlic juice obtained in the enamel jar.
- Squeeze the lemon and add 20 drops of it to the nail polish.
- Close the glaze well and shake so that all the ingredients finish integrating.
Foods to harden nails
The fragility and weakness of the nails can also be motivated by a significant lack of nutrients in the daily diet, so it is essential to take care of your diet and eat foods such as the following always to keep them strong and beautiful:
- High protein foods
- Foods rich in vitamin A
- Biotin-rich foods
- Foods rich in folic acid
- Foods rich in vitamin C
- Foods rich in calcium
- Iron-rich foods
- Foods rich in zinc
In addition, we recommend consulting the article Vitamins for brittle nails.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to harden nails and make them grow , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.