What do yellow toenails indicate and how can we whiten them? We are going to solve these questions in this FastlyHealarticle, and it is that the change in nail color is a sign that we must pay attention to, as it can indicate the suffering of some disorder or health problem. On many occasions, that yellow tone in the nails is due to external agents, bad habits in nail care or aging but, in others, it can be the result of a fungal infection or other type of condition that compromises our health general, in addition to that of the nails. For this reason, it is important to know, first, what is the origin of this new coloration in order to start a specific treatment if necessary.
For those people who have healthy nails and want to lighten their tone, fighting yellowish stripes or spots, in the following lines we reveal how to whiten yellow toenails effectively and quickly.
Table of Contents
Why do toenails turn yellow and thick
Yellowish nails are characterized by losing their original pink color and acquiring a yellow or darker hue than normal, which may be accompanied by other signs, depending on the cause, such as thickening, the appearance of stretch marks or spots, fragility , disassembly, etc. It is important to pay attention to the origin of this condition, since in some cases, it may be related to a health problem that requires specific medical treatment. Next, we are going to detail what are the possible causes of yellow toenails:
- Nail fungus : called onychomycosis, a fungal infection of the nails usually causes yellowing of the nails, as well as brittleness, thickening, breakage and even loss of the nails in advanced infections.
- Nail psoriasis : when psoriasis affects the nails, they can present holes in its surface, thickening of the lower skin, yellow hue, reddish or brown and detachment.
- Liver problems: liver diseases, such as hepatitis, can cause jaundice, which refers to the yellowish hue that nails, skin, white part of the eye and mucous membranes acquire due to excess bilirubin in the blood.
- Diabetes: this disease can cause, on some occasions, that the nails acquire a yellow tone due to the sugar molecules attacking the proteins, since the latter are responsible for keeping the nails strong and healthy.
- Use of poor quality enamels: the chemical components of these products can damage the keratin of the nails and cause them to turn yellow.
- Aging: With age, nails can weaken and become more yellow and hard.
- Diet lacking in some nutrients , such as vitamin A, B, zinc, calcium, iron or protein.
- Consumption of certain medications.
In the event that yellow toenails are the consequence of an underlying health problem, it is important to consult with your doctor to receive the appropriate treatment in each case.
Quickly whiten toenails with lemon and milk
When toenails turn yellow due to poor lifestyle habits, aging or the use of poor quality enamels, it is possible to promote their whitening by means of some natural products that we will point out below.
One of the most effective home remedies to remove yellow toenails is the mixture of lemon and milk. Lemon is a food with powerful whitening properties , helping to naturally lighten the skin and nails, while milk will hydrate them and keep them stronger and healthier.
2 lemons should be squeezed to extract the juice and mix it with 1/2 cup of water. Soak the feet in this preparation for 10 minutes and, after this time, remove and dry. Then pour 1/2 cup of milk into a container and soak your nails in it for another 10 minutes. Finally, rinse with plenty of warm water. It can be repeated daily for good results.
How to whiten your nails with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a product that allows you to whiten yellow nails quickly due to its powerful lightening properties , in addition to being a highly disinfectant product that will help keep nails from infections that can be caused by some microorganisms.
The treatment consists of heating 1/2 glass of water until it is tempered. Then remove and pour into a container. Add 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and soak your nails for at least 10 minutes.
How to whiten toenails with baking soda
It is also possible to whiten toenails with baking soda , as this popular product acts as a good natural whitener when applied to the surface of the nails, as well as having exfoliating properties that can help to renew and leave nails. with a prettier appearance.
There are two possible ways to lighten dark nails with baking soda:
- Mix equal parts bicarbonate and water, soak a cotton ball with the mixture and rub it directly on the nails. Leave on for about 20 minutes and rinse.
- Make a mixture of 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 small tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. Apply to the nails by rubbing with a soft bristle brush and leave for 20 minutes.
Aloe vera to lighten dark toenails
The aloe vera or aloe vera is a plant that has many health benefits and beauty of nails and is also a great remedy for yellow nail. Mainly, it cleanses, nourishes, hydrates, strengthens, regenerates and favors their healing when they are affected by fungal infections, as it has antifungal and antiseptic properties.
In this case, there are also two possible treatments that can be carried out:
- Pour the gel of 1 aloe vera leaf into a container with the equivalent of 1/4 cup of water and soak your feet for about 10 minutes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice and, with the help of a brush, apply to the nails, leaving it to take effect for about 15 minutes.
In the following article we also show how to remove spots on the skin with aloe vera .
White vinegar for instant nail whitening
Another way to remove yellow toenails naturally is by using a treatment with white vinegar , as this has antiseptic agents in its composition that help prevent the formation of yellowish spots or stripes on the surface of the nails, in addition that helps them clear up and stay healthy free of infections.
- Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into a bowl and soak your feet for about 5 minutes. After that time, rinse and wash your feet with plenty of soap and water.
- Make a mixture of 4 tablespoons of white vinegar with 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and apply the solution obtained on the nails with a brush or brush.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to whiten yellow toenails , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.