The almond oil is a liquid obtained by cold pressing the dried fruit of the almond, from which the fat is extracted. It is practically transparent in color with a yellowish hue and does not have a strong odor if it has been previously refined. Although almond oil is well known in the cosmetic field, its high content of fatty acids and oleic acids can also benefit your health and well-being, even in food use. At FastlyHealwe let you know everything about the health benefits of almond oil.
Table of Contents
Almond oil varieties
Before using almond oil, it is essential to take note of the varieties that exist since not all types of almonds are beneficial to our health. Thus, the following combinations should be emphasized:
- Sweet almonds. Sweet almond oil is generally for external use, but some are also suitable for consumption and can be used to remedy constipation . Although it is not advisable to overuse it, sweet almonds are not toxic. In this article, we will talk precisely about the properties of the oil of this variety.
- Bitter almonds . Bitter almond oil is not suitable for human consumption due to its toxicity. It is only used as a perfume and aroma, although sometimes used as an expectorant in small doses.
Sweet almond oil is an excellent moisturizer.
Sweet almond oil comprises approximately 60% monounsaturated oleic acid and 25% polyunsaturated fatty acids such as omega 6, excellent moisturizing and anti-inflammatory agents.
For this reason, applying it to the skin provides the following benefits:
- Reduces the feeling of dryness. It is an excellent emollient and softens the skin. A few drops can be applied daily to help hydrate the most sensitive areas of the skin that tend to suffer the most during pregnancy.
- Reduces the size of stretch marks. It is only necessary to apply a few drops to the affected area daily and massage briefly until completely absorbed. Its regenerating effect works mainly with red stretch marks. For pregnant women, it is ideal to use it on the abdomen to prevent the stretching itself from causing the skin to stretch.
- Relieves irritations . It is used for eczema, herpes, and more relevant skin reactions such as dermatitis. It has also been shown to ease psoriasis symptoms. For babies, it can treat redness and irritation as long as approved by the pediatrician.
Almond oil for skin and hair
- Its moisturizing power helps to soften the skin, in addition to giving it more excellent elasticity. This is because the benefits of almond oil have positive effects that deflate the skin so that results can be obtained quickly.
- Reduces stretch marks on the skin that can appear after pregnancy or after losing weight.
- It can be used for people with damaged hair, giving it more shine and softness. Therefore, a good option is to use it as a hair mask, benefiting from its moisturizing properties.
- Treat minor wounds or burns. Thanks to its moisturizing effect, almond oil hydrates and softens the skin. In addition, well-hydrated skin is less prone to damage due to external aggressions.
A laxative for constipation
Taking a teaspoon of sweet almond oil can act against constipation and help regulate intestinal transit. This is because one of the benefits of almond oil is to lubricate, and in this case, it facilitates the movements in the intestine during digestion. It is essential to ensure that almond oil is suitable for ingestion since not all of them can be consumed.
Contraindications of almond oil
First of all, we must consider the different varieties of almond oil so as not to confuse them if we are thinking of using it. As we explained at the beginning of the article, sweet almonds are the most widely used and do not have toxic effects on our bodies. However, excessive use can lead to atopic reactions, especially in people with sensitive skin. On the other hand, the bitter ones should not be consumed since they are toxic and are only used for their aroma in some perfumes. Also, people allergic to nuts should avoid using any product made with almonds.
Lastly, almond oil should be kept in a cool, dry place. Otherwise, it can quickly deteriorate.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Benefits of almond oil for health, we recommend that you enter our Well-being category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.