Purines are substances that are produced when we consume foods such as meat, sausages, pastries or alcoholic beverages. Our body is responsible for breaking down purines and it is at that moment that uric acid is formed, which by itself is not a problem, but when it begins to be produced in excess, the kidneys do not process it in the proper way and later eliminate it through urine, bringing serious consequences to our health. At FastlyHealwe explain what are the foods to lower uric acid .
Table of Contents
Why is it important to lower uric acid?
An excess of uric acid in our body can cause ailments such as arthritis, gout and kidney diseases, for this reason it is important to maintain normal uric acid values, which for women is between 2.4 and 6.0 mg / dL and in men 3.4 and 7.0 mg / dL. The extraction of a blood sample will be the way to diagnose it, it must be borne in mind that it is not healthy to keep uric acid below these values, this condition is generally due to genetics and can cause diseases such as Fanconi syndrome or Wilson’s disease.
Food will be the main treatment to reduce uric acid levels, so a change in your habits and diets is essential. Next you will know the foods to lower uric acid due to its low purine content:
- Green leafy vegetables : such as artichoke and lettuce, as they have diuretic properties, which facilitate the elimination of uric acid in the urine. The artichoke has a double function, not only will you take advantage of the vegetable but you will be able to drink the broth that results after cooking them, as a natural remedy to lower uric acid .
- Hydration : it is necessary to absorb the nutrients from the food we eat. In the same way, it helps circulation, prevents toxins from accumulating in our body and fluid retention.
- Vegetables : carrots and onions, these have cleansing properties and also help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. In the case of onion, you can also prepare a home remedy by boiling it and mixing the broth with the juice of a lemon , take two cups a day.
- Other vegetables and greens : like pumpkin and celery, they have low calories, diuretic properties and are high in fiber. It improves circulation because it makes the arteries dilate, additionally they have flavonoids that allow the tissue to renew itself, for this reason it is ideal for the treatment of gout or arthritis.
- Fruits : strawberries, apples, cherries, blueberries, tangerines, grapefruits, oranges, grapefruits, and lemons. Not only will they favor our body due to its contribution of vitamin C but it will also balance the effect of purines in the body and the elimination of toxins. Some of these fruits have anti-inflammatory properties which will reduce pain in case of gout.
- Skimmed milk and products
- Meats : chicken, turkey and beef
- Cereals: such as pasta, rice, and cornbread
- Nuts : such as peanuts and natural walnuts, with no added salt or seasonings
It is necessary to cook with the least amount of fat possible and only use olive or sunflower oil, avoid mayonnaise-based dressings, replace them with vinegar or lemon and minimize the consumption of alcoholic beverages, especially beer.
Foods to avoid
The prohibited foods , if you have been diagnosed with high uric acid are the following:
- Red meat
- Blue fish.
- Industrial pastries.
- Vegetables and vegetables such as: mushrooms, asparagus, spinach and cauliflower.
- Alcoholic and carbonated drinks.
Diet to lower uric acid
Here are some menu options to lower uric acid :
- 40 gr of cereal
- 1 glass of skim milk
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- Jam of the flavor you prefer
- 1 orange
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 turkey breast
- Steamed chard
- 5 strawberries
- Apple juice
- 1 chicken breast
- Lettuce, onion and carrot salad
- Skimmed yogurt of the fruit of your choice
Although food is the most important point to lower uric acid , it will also be necessary to practice physical exercise daily. If you suffer from gout, you can use cold compresses to reduce joint pain , your doctor may also prescribe some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, diclofenac or naproxen). Although there is no established time to treat uric acid, it is estimated that after 6 months of having started a healthy diet, an improvement in the results will be noticed.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Foods to lower uric acid , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.