Acne is one of the most common skin conditions, especially among adolescents, although it can also occur in adulthood or during certain stages, such as pregnancy. Various causes produce it, and without a doubt, diet is one of the factors related to the increase in the production of fat in our skin, which could significantly increase the intensity of outbreaks. The food alone does not produce grains. However, it is a factor to consider because it could make them worse or appear more frequently. In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain some foods that cause acne and their link with the health of our skin.
Causes of acne and factors that increase its presence
Acne is one of the most common skin diseases; it occurs when the pilosebaceous units of our skin become inflamed as a result of the interaction of various hormones that stimulate the production of sebum in the skin and the bacteria that are in the dermis that They convert these lipids into fatty acids, giving rise to comedones that in many cases can have an intense and very noticeable presence on the skin.
The genetic factor is one of the most important causes of acne, but it is not the only one. There are other triggers for this condition, for example:
- Age, acne is more common during adolescence, a stage in which we experience various and significant hormonal changes.
- Sex, men have more intense acne than women.
- Emotional stress can be one of the triggers for this condition.
- Certain practices that can increase the accumulation of sebum on the skin, such as poor hygiene, inappropriate products rich in fat, or frequently touching the face, can worsen its presence.
- The intake of certain drugs such as corticosteroids, lithium, or hormonal contraceptives can increase their presence.
Relationship between diet and acne
For years, many specialists have affirmed that there is no relationship between acne and the food eaten, all based on a series of studies carried out many decades ago and whose results are currently being questioned. Although it is true that what we eat alone is not a cause of acne but that several additional conditions must be met, certain foods make acne worse in people prone to this condition.
Eating a diet that is especially rich in fat and sugar can increase the intensity and frequency of outbreaks by increasing the amount of fat in our body and our skin, making acne noticeably worse. If you have identified that by eating a food or food group, your acne worsens, then you must eliminate these ingredients or dishes from your diet. This type of reaction usually frequently occurs with foods that are very high in fat, such as pizza or fried foods, and dairy products or products that include milk, such as most chocolates.
Foods that make acne worse
Based on what has been explained above, it is convenient to keep those foods that make acne worse out of our diet, among which the following stand out:
- Foods rich in sugar
This ingredient is a trigger that worsens the appearance of pimples and increases the intensity of breakouts. The excessive consumption of sugar affects our skin. This is not a secret for dermatologists, so we recommend eating naturally sweet products such as fruit and leaving aside the abuse of ingredients such as cookies, cakes, pastries, gummies, etc.
- Milk and dairy derivatives
We know that milk and many foods derived from this product are rich in fat, so its excessive consumption, especially whole milk, butter, and aged or very fatty cheeses, could worsen acne. It is best to opt for light cheeses and fat-free milk or vegetable drinks, always in moderation.
- Junk food and trans fats
They are harmful to our health, but these foods provide fats that are difficult for our body to process and digest and that, consumed in excess, can increase the amount of sebum in our skin. Ultimately, you’ll do a massive favor by saying goodbye to junk food, fried foods, and trans fats.
- Fried foods
A diet rich in fried foods, breaded, battered, and snacks of this type is a diet rich in fat, which can affect the health of your skin in the medium term and worsen acne problems.
- Milk chocolate
Chocolate is a food full of benefits for our health, but these can only be enjoyed when it comes to dark chocolate, one that is 70% or more pure cocoa. The most common chocolate, one that contains milk, fat, and large amounts of sugar, far from benefiting us, harms us, and can increase the intensity of acne breakouts due to the dairy content.
Diet changes to fight acne
If you suffer from acne, you must be clear that the treatment of this condition must be approached from different points of view. The first and most important thing is to visit a dermatologist to receive the appropriate medical treatment; it is also essential to optimize your facial cleansing by cleaning your skin twice a day: upon waking and at the end of the day. Removing dirt, oil, and makeup residue will help prevent pores from getting even more clogged.
Additionally, some changes in your diet can help improve the condition of your skin and prevent acne breakouts from intensifying:
- Replace white flours with whole grains, which are much healthier and rich in fiber, which will help you control the absorption of fat in your body and keep intestinal transit active.
- Control your carbohydrate intake and opt for whole-grain alternatives such as whole wheat pasta or rice of this type. Do not forget that simple carbohydrates such as sweets or pastries have high sugar content; better opt for complex carbohydrates such as whole-wheat bread, cereals, and the foods mentioned above.
- Avoid soft drinks, packaged juices, sweets and pastries, and any food rich in sugar. You will benefit your general health and also your skin.
- In general, it is advisable to control the intake of all foods that are harmful to acne. A good option is to eat dark chocolate instead of the classic with milk, eat fresh or light cheeses and opt for vegetable drinks instead of dairy.
- Drink more water! This is essential for healthy skin and the body; as water is an excellent body cleanser, it is recommended to consume at least 2 liters of liquid a day.
- Increase your intake of foods rich in omega 3. In addition to promoting the production of good cholesterol, this nutrient helps reduce inflammation naturally, so it can favor your skin and reduce the swelling caused by acne. You will find it in blue fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, trout, egg yolk, shellfish, or seeds such as chia or flaxseed.
- Consume more antioxidant foods, the perfect cleansers for our body. Citrus fruits, tomatoes, garlic, or avocado are excellent alternatives.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet, and you will begin to notice the benefits of these changes on your skin.
In addition, some natural solutions can help you improve the appearance of pimples; in our article home remedies for pimples, we explain what they are.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Foods that cause acne , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.