you have any doubt about how it is placed? The life of the woman goes through important changes, a frequent condition is the presence of the fearsome vaginal infections produced by factors such as sexual activity, poor intimate hygiene or simply changes in vaginal pH, manifesting itself with changes in vaginal discharge both in the color, appearance and smell also generating discomfort such as itching, this represents a reason for frequent consultation with the gynecologist who, depending on the symptoms, will indicate metronidazole ovules as treatment. Do you want to know what metronidazole ovules are , what are they for and how are they used ? In the following FastlyHealarticle we will explain it to you.
Table of Contents
Metrodinazole: what is it for?
Metronidazole is a drug that belongs to the group of nitroimidazoles that is responsible for modifying the DNA of susceptible germs, thus preventing their synthesis and replication. It belongs to the group of drugs that has antibacterial and antiprotozoal properties .
Metronidazole vaginal suppositories or ovules allow an exact dose of the drug to be administered directly into the vagina, thereby eliminating bacterial growth. That is why metronidazole ovules are used to treat vaginal infections such as:
- Bacterial vaginosis.
Vaginal infections in which metrodinazole is used
The bacterial vaginosis is a common infectious process that affects women of childbearing age and is caused by an imbalance in the amount of bacteria that are normally inhabiting the vagina. The discharge that characterizes vaginosis is cloudy white and sometimes milky. On the other hand, trichomoniasis is considered a sexually transmitted disease caused by a parasite called trichomonas vaginalis that lives and multiplies in the genital area. The characteristic of this sexual disease is that it manifests as a frothy discharge of yellowish or grayish-green color.
Although the secretions of each of the vaginal infections are different, both manifest with similar symptoms :
- Unpleasant vaginal odor.
- Itching in the vaginal area.
- Burning in the intimate area.
- Pain when urinating or during sexual intercourse, dysuria and dyspareunia respectively.
The Revista Médica Herediana published a study in relation to the prevalence of vaginitis and bacterial vaginosis in patients with abnormal vaginal discharge  in which 370 patients from the gynecological consultation were studied, obtaining as a result that bacterial vaginosis is the most common vaginal infection. common in 23.24%, followed by vaginal candidiasis in 16.2% and finally trichomoniasis in 7.8%. In this study, bacterial vaginosis was associated with fetid, milky whitish vaginal discharge.
How to use metronidazole ovules
There are many women who wonder how to use metronidazole ovules , here are some tips that you should take into account when using them:
- It is important that the use of metronidazole ovules is indicated by the specialist doctor after the previous evaluation carried out in women who present specific symptoms.
- All the directions that the medicine package explains must be followed.
- The ideal time to apply metronidazole ovules is just before going to sleep.
- The dose that is regularly indicated is an egg of 500 mg once a day deep intravaginally, at night for 7 days.
- Before starting the process of applying vaginal ovules, you should wash your hands well before handling the medicine.
- The vaginal area should also be clean before applying the metronidazole ovum.
- Sometimes the metronidazole ovule comes with an applicator with which it allows the introduction of the drug much easier vaginally, but there are times when the applicator is not reusable. In these cases, the applicator must be discarded after use.
- In cases where the applicator is reusable, it should be washed and rinsed properly after each use to prevent the infection from worsening.Recommendations for using metronidazole ovules
Before applying metronidazole ovules , you should take into account the following recommendations:
- It is recommended that during the administration of the metronidazole ovules and 24 hours after the last dose, you should avoid ingesting any alcoholic beverage .
- It is important to wear cotton or natural fiber underwear until the vaginal infection has healed, avoiding the use of tight nylon garments that interfere with air circulation.
- Finally, it is recommended that for the treatment to be beneficial, avoid having sexual intercourse until the vaginal infection has been completely cured or at least 24 or 48 hours after the treatment with the metronidazole ovules is completed.
Metronidazole ovules: side effects
Although the greatest advantage of the use of metronidazole (ovules) is its few adverse effects , the possibility of manifesting some of them should not be overlooked:
- Discharge or burning in the vaginal area
- Blistering or peeling of the skin in the vaginal area.
- Lower belly pain.
- Breast pain
- Burning when urinating.
- Itching in the genital area.
Other side effects considered serious are:
- Numbness in the hands or feet.
In case this happens it is important to suspend the treatment and go immediately to the doctor to make the respective evaluation.
Metronidazole ovules and pregnancy
Regarding the use of metronidazole ovules during pregnancy , it is known that until now there is no scientific evidence of a direct relationship between the risk of spontaneous abortion and the use of metronidazole in ovules.
Its use has been controversial for many years, however, it is difficult to affirm that there is a relationship between fetal malformations and the use of metronidazole ovules. It is important to have a good prenatal control throughout the pregnancy, administering the treatment that is necessary and that the specialist has indicated.
The use of metronidazole ovules has been used over the years as the treatment of choice for bacterial vaginosis and vaginal trichomonas, since it generates few adverse effects to which the patient is normally seen after using it. oral treatment.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Metronidazole ovules: what they are for and how they are used , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.