Perhaps you have heard of all the properties not only in the kitchen, but also for health, that the consumption of garlic has. However, many people do not like the smell it leaves on their breath, which is why the well-known garlic capsules or garlic pearls have appeared on the market . For many years, garlic has been used against acne, to lower cholesterol, against Alzheimer’s and to treat infections regardless of how it is used, as it has many health benefits .
Garlic capsules, in addition to providing the many benefits of this food, soften the taste and smell by mixing it with other essential oils that preserve the most important thing: their medicinal properties. To expand this information, we invite you to continue reading this FastlyHealarticle in which we will explain what garlic capsules are for .
What are garlic capsules for?
Allium sativum is the name of this plant, the most used in the world for both cooking and health. It is part of the liliaceae family and has a high content of selenium, sulfur, arginine and flavonoids. These last 2 become highly beneficial compounds for the body. Garlic has been used for thousands of years to treat acne, leprosy or infections .
A good alternative, if you are one of those who like the smell that garlic leaves in your mouth, is to include garlic pearls or capsules in your diet every day to enjoy all its benefits. As described, garlic capsules contain concentrated garlic powder mixed with oils or extracts that enhance its benefits but with a softened flavor. But do you know for sure what garlic capsules are for? Next, we explain it to you:
- Cholesterol control : this is one of the main benefits of garlic capsules. Garlic pearls help keep cholesterol levels normal.
- Lowers blood pressure : Garlic has been reported to be effective in keeping blood pressure within normal range, which should generally be 120 mmHg systolic and 80 mmHg diastolic.
- Strengthens the immune system : Garlic capsules strengthen the immune system, thus preventing the prevalence of recurrent viral or infectious diseases when there is a weak immune system.
- It acts against brain tumors : especially by slowing their evolution, being effective in one of the most deadly brain tumors that exist, glioblastoma.
- Improves memory : Garlic capsules improve memory and learning ability that tend to deteriorate with age. This is because with aging, cerebral blood flow decreases.
- Effective for the brain : taking garlic capsules will bring health to your brain, reducing inflammation caused by aging and free radicals.
- Works against Alzheimer’s : consumption of garlic can prevent Alzheimer’s disease, which involves progressive neurological deterioration. This disease is characterized by progressive memory loss, difficulty communicating, and difficulty making decisions.
- Improves blood flow : garlic is beneficial especially for those who suffer from cardiovascular diseases. Garlic, in addition to promoting good blood flow, is a natural anticoagulant that has an effect similar to acetylsalicylic acid or aspirin.
- Prevents metabolic syndrome : this condition is associated with a series of disorders that involve increased blood pressure, high cholesterol, and increased blood glucose concentration. For its part, garlic generates protection against metabolic syndrome . All these clinical symptoms are related to obesity, which, together, increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and endocrinological diseases such as diabetes mellitus.
- Prevents heart disease : By preventing a number of clinical manifestations, garlic capsules reduce the likelihood of heart disease. This is possible as it lowers cholesterol, prevents blood clots, and lowers blood pressure.
- Effective against cancer : Garlic capsules are also beneficial for treating some types of cancers due to their protective components.
A review article about the therapeutic effects of garlic  , states that it lowers cholesterol by at least 12%. This can be easily perceived after 4 weeks of treatment. In patients with hypercholesterolemia, a decrease of at least 29% in total cholesterol was demonstrated after 2 months of treatment.
How to take garlic capsules
Each garlic capsule contains 500 mg of garlic powder . As described, it has 4 main components: arginine, sulfur, selenium and flavonoids.
Taking garlic capsules is a good idea especially for those who want to take advantage of all the benefits that garlic has, but without having to notice its unpleasant natural taste. It is recommended to take 2 to 3 capsules a day with enough liquid at least 40 minutes before main meals.
Do not exceed consumption if you do not fully know the characteristics of garlic capsules, including their contraindications, adverse effects and precautions, which we will explain below. If in doubt, consult your GP.
You may also be interested in knowing what are the benefits of black garlic .
Garlic capsules: contraindications
Although garlic is beneficial in most cases, there are some contraindications that everyone should know before starting to take garlic capsules:
- Hypotension : if you are a person whose normal blood pressure is low, the use of garlic capsules is contraindicated. Recall that within its properties is to lower blood pressure, regardless of whether you have high or low blood pressure, it simply reduces the values you have at that time. To lead a healthier life, you may be interested in reading this other article on Diet for low blood pressure .
- Before a surgical intervention : due to its anticoagulant effect, its consumption in this case could increase the probability of bleeding during the operation.
- If you suffer from thyroid : if you are taking any treatment for the thyroid, it is contraindicated to take garlic capsules, since this component can interfere with the uptake of iodine and, therefore, in the regulation of thyroid hormones.
- If you suffer from allergic reactions : it is also contraindicated to take garlic capsules in this case, which can even cause severe damage.
Taking excess doses of garlic capsules can cause:
- Bad body odor
The consumption of garlic capsules can act with other medications , such as the following:
- Protease inhibitors.
- Blood thinners.
- Antivirals for HIV.
- Muscle relaxants.
- Vitamin E.
If you have started taking garlic capsules, you should be aware of all the possible reactions that may appear. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose of 2 to 3 capsules a day to avoid adverse effects due to overdose.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to What are garlic capsules for , we recommend that you enter our Medication and medical tests category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.