Few people know about the existence of black garlic , and the truth is that this food has many health benefits. Black garlic is the product of the fermentation of common garlic and is widely used to flavor gastronomic preparations in Asian and recently in North American cuisine, its flavor is very different, since fermentation gives it a sweet and acid touch at the same time.
Black garlic is very famous because of the 20 amino acids that exist, it contains 18, including all the essential ones, in addition to having a powerful antioxidant effect . The cooking process of this food increases all the properties of ordinary garlic 10 times, which makes it even more appreciated. Do you want to know more about this product? In this FastlyHealarticle we will explain the benefits of black garlic and how to obtain them.
Table of Contents
Properties and benefits of black garlic
Due to its particular flavor, which is usually compared to that of candied blackberry, black garlic took over Asian cuisine, specifically Korean and Thai, and made its way to the United States, where it is currently considered an indispensable ingredient characteristic of haute cuisine.
But how was black garlic discovered? We can say that it was an accidental discovery, since it arose from the interest of a Japanese cook to diminish the strong flavor of common garlic. In his experiment, this Asian chef decided to subject a whole garlic to a smoking and fermentation process for a month. After monitoring the temperature and humidity for 30 days, he found a food that had indeed lost the intensity of its aroma, but that offered a totally different flavor.
However, although it is its flavor that defines this food as a culinary gem, its health benefits make it a natural treasure that enhances the properties of ordinary garlic 10 times . Let’s know then what are the benefits of black garlic for health:
- Black garlic is 10 times more antioxidant than regular garlic, so its power to reverse the effect of free radicals on damaging cells in the body is even more powerful. This property also helps fight premature aging and helps prevent cancer, being considered by the National Cancer Institute as one of the 48 best foods to prevent this disease.
- It is an excellent energizer for the body , since a clove of black garlic contains all the energizing power of a common garlic head, which is why it is recommended to consume it on an empty stomach before doing any sports practice. Its effect is so powerful that it lasts up to eight hours.
- Another benefit of black garlic is that it provides the body with all the essential amino acids that the body does not produce. Consuming it and receiving these amino acids helps to keep the immune system healthy, since it allows to raise the defenses and help the body to fight infections, viruses or diseases that want to attack it.
- For people who suffer from high blood pressure or hypertension , it is an excellent natural remedy since it has a hypotensive effect that allows regulating high levels or sudden rises in blood pressure. This benefit, together with its power to lower blood lipids, favors cardiovascular health by helping to prevent heart attacks or clogging of the arteries due to the accumulation of cholesterol in them.
- One of the main components of black garlic is allicin, a compound that also raises the body’s defenses and has a great effect to calm allergies.
- It should also be noted that it prevents calcification, which favors kidney function, allowing the kidneys to work properly and preventing fluid retention in the body.
- When it comes to anxiety and nerves, black garlic acts as a sedative due to its high sulfur and phosphorus content. Decreasing stress and depression is also among its properties.
- Black garlic allicin also has the power to lower blood sugar and helps promote insulin secretion, making it an excellent food for people with diabetes or a history of this disease. Likewise, this compound also promotes the proper functioning of red blood cells, responsible for transporting oxygen throughout the body.
- Black garlic is rich in thiosulfinates, which stimulate the production of collagen in the body, promoting osteoarticular health and helping to improve skin diseases such as dermatitis and psoriasis.
How to consume black garlic
Black garlic can be used in the same way as ordinary garlic , so it is recommended to consume it through food, the minimum suggested dose to obtain all its benefits is three cloves of black garlic a day . Here are some alternatives to consume this product:
- Substitute black garlic for ordinary garlic in all your recipes that use this food as an ingredient.
- Season your meals such as meat or fish with black garlic by preparing the following combination: a clove of crushed black garlic, olive oil, pepper and oregano.
- On an empty stomach, the benefits of black garlic are more powerful for the body, so experts suggest chewing two cloves of black garlic when waking up .
- Black garlic is a flavor that will offer a differentiating touch to all your meals, but especially to salads. Adding a clove of black garlic to the common vinaigrette will give it that nutty flavor that only this food can offer you.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Benefits of black garlic , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.