The contraceptive methods have become very important in, and not just in preventing pregnancy, but as a preventive measure of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) sexual sphere. Despite the variety of contraceptive methods, both female and male, the condom could be considered the most widely used. However, even though it is a well-known and popular element for having sex, doubts can always arise when using it, generating insecurity. Therefore, in this FastlyHealarticle, we teach you how to use a condom correctly.
Table of Contents
Why should we use a condom?
The condom, also known as a condom, is the most widely used contraceptive method. Made from latex, it is used in sexual intercourse by inserting it through the head of the penis and sliding it down. A condom is one of the most effective ways to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and control the woman from becoming pregnant. Its effectiveness in reducing sexually transmitted infections is 95%, so it has become a fundamental prevention measure to avoid HIV.
Today, you can find a wide variety of types, with different flavors, textures, colors, and some are even accompanied by other products such as lubricants.
Recommendations before using a condom
Although a condom is an effective and resistant contraceptive method, it is essential to ensure that it is reasonable. Depending on where they are stored, they can suffer scratches or scrapes that make some small, almost invisible perforations—the view.
Therefore, we must avoid as much as possible keeping condoms in the purse, the car, in the pocket of a jacket, or in any other place where they can be exposed to high temperatures. On the contrary, it is recommended that they be kept in areas where they are not exposed to the sun or high temperatures. In addition, it is essential not to use a condom in which any damage is detected and to remember that they only have one use.
I am using a condom correctly.
Even though the condom is easy to use, it is advisable to learn how to use it correctly to ensure the maximum possible effectiveness. First of all, you have to look at the expiration date since if the indicated date has passed, the effectiveness of the condom is not guaranteed since it will not be as safe. Likewise, we must ensure that the packaging is not open or spilled liquid, which would indicate that it has some perforation and therefore could not be used.
- Once we have verified that the condom is in good condition, we open the package that contains the condom. Typically, there is one extreme where a mark indicates that it should be opened there. We must avoid breaking in half since it could break or make a cut in the condom. We must remove the part of the wrapper straightforwardly, obtaining a piece of thin wrapper. Do not use scissors or any other element that leads to the possibility of piercing the condom.
- Once opened, we remove the condom, trying not to pinch it with our nails.
- After having removed the condom out of the wrapper, we must grasp the tip with the two fingers of one hand and squeeze to clear the air.
- Place the base of the condom, that is, the hole where the penis will enter, and place it on the head of the penis.
- We hold the tip of the condom with one hand, and with the other, we slide the condom, which should be on the head of the penis, down, reaching the base of the penis.
- You must insert the condom when the penis is erect; otherwise, it will be impossible.
- When you try to slide the condom over the penis, you detect it resists and does not go down. It will surely be upside down, so you have to turn it and repeat the above.
- After ejaculation, the condom should be removed with the penis still erect. When you do this, remove the condom by sliding the lower part of it, that is, the one at the base of the penis, and pull upwards, grasping the tip of the condom with the other hand so that the semen does not come out.
- Throw the condom in the trash, not down the toilet.
Advantages and disadvantages of the condom
As you may have noticed, using a condom correctly is simple; however, it may be tricky until you get some practice. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using a condom for contraception.
Advantages of using a condom
- It is 95% effective as a contraceptive method.
- It is an affordable contraceptive method.
- They can be bought in pharmacies, supermarkets, and even in some bars or nightclubs.
- No need to go to the doctor for a prescription.
- Avoid the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
- It has no side effects that some of the other methods involve producing hormonal changes.
Disadvantages of using a condom
- People allergic to latex cannot use it.
- Even though it is safe, it is possible to break.
- Many people see it as a barrier that limits pleasure.
- Some men may witness some discomfort, such as pressure on the penis.
- It is ineffective against some sexually transmitted diseases, such as genital warts.
- If flushed down the toilet, they can impact the environment since they can take up to 200 years to decompose completely.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Using a condom correctly, we recommend that you enter our Sexuality category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.