Disorders and problems in the anus can be very annoying, and if left untreated they can become more serious. Incomprehensibly, there are people who out of fear or shame, when they present a problem in the anus they do not give the same importance as if it were in another part of the body. However, whenever something is not going well in the body, we must pay attention to it and go to a doctor to find out what is happening to us.
Do you have the sensation that something is moving in the anus , palpitations, a buzzing or that the anus vibrates? In the following FastlyHealarticle we explain what the causes of this sensation are.
Sensation that something is moving in the anus due to proctitis
In most cases, the sensation that something is moving in the anus is due to proctitis. The proctitis is inflammation of the membrane lining the rectum , the final part of the colon connecting the anus and by which stool passes before being expelled.
In addition to the sensation of having movements or a buzzing in the anus, other symptoms of proctitis are:
- Continually feeling the need to have a bowel movement, medically known as rectal urgency .
- Bleeding from the anus
- Rectal pain
- Pain in the left part of the abdomen.
Proctitis must be treated by a doctor, not only because it can be caused by basic conditions – as we will see below – but also because if it is not treated it can become a chronic condition that is increasingly difficult to eliminate. There are several conditions and diseases that can cause proctitis . Some of the main ones are the following:
- Inflammatory bowel disease : It is estimated that about 30% of people who suffer from inflammatory bowel diseases, such as colitis or Crohn’s disease, end up developing inflammation in the rectum.
- Sexually transmitted infections : especially those acquired through anal sexual practices, can cause inflammation of the rectum. Some of the main ones are chlamydia, genital herpes or gonorrhea.
- Radiation therapy : when performed in nearby areas, such as the rectum itself or on the prostate, it can cause proctitis that can last for months once it is finished.
- Ingestion of antibiotics : as a side effect they can also eliminate part of the intestinal flora, causing other bacteria to colonize the rectum.
However, many times, these internal irritations that end up causing the sensation that something is moving in the anus are due to simpler reasons. Many people have a bad habit of cleaning the anus excessively, even cleaning it from the inside. This causes irritation of the membrane and inflammation of the rectum. On the other hand, if you have suffered from diarrhea, it is possible that the rectum has become irritated and causes this symptom.
Discomfort in the anus as if it had something inside: worms
When we speak of intestinal worms we refer to the parasitic infection of enterobius vermicularis , a parasite also known by the name of pinworms. This infection causes the appearance of a species of white worms and very fine in the large intestine, something that causes intense itching in the rectum and anus. Although it is very common during school age , anyone can be affected by worms.
The infection begins with the ingestion of the microscopic eggs of this type of parasite, eggs that can be on the hands or on any object that an infected person has touched. At first, these eggs settle in the small intestine, where the larvae hatch and move to the large intestine. There, the larvae will develop until they become white worms of less than one centimeter.
After 2 months, the female worms will reproduce and lay their eggs around the anus, causing great itching and discomfort . This will make the person scratch, passing the eggs to the person’s hands and making it easier for it to spread to another person.
It is not uncommon for someone to have worms and not be aware of it, since sometimes there are no symptoms or they are not enough for the person to notice it. In the event that they do cause symptoms , the usual thing is the following:
- Itching in the anus, an itch that becomes more intense at night.
- Vibration in the rest.
- Difficulties sleeping and insomnia.
- Irritation of the skin around the anus.
- Women and girls may feel itchy in the vagina.
- When it is severe, you can suffer from loss of weight and appetite.
In the following FastlyHealarticle we explain the home remedies to eliminate intestinal worms .
I notice that something is moving in my anus: hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids, which are also popularly known by the name of piles, are the dilation of the veins found in the rectum or anus. This dilation causes lumps that can be itchy, painful and bleeding, something that affects about 36% of the general population  .
When they are mild, we can have hemorrhoids and not even be aware of it. However, as its inflammation increases, the symptoms become more noticeable. Generally, these are the most common:
- Palpitations or feeling that something is moving in the anus.
- Pain and itching in the anus, even more so when you are sitting or when you are defecating.
- Tender and hard lumps in and around the anus, if they come out from inside the anus it is a prolapse.
- Bleeding, something that usually occurs while defecating.
- Mucus secretions that cause itching and irritation in the anus.
Hemorrhoids appear because of an increase in pressure in that area , which causes the veins to dilate. Some of the most common causes of hemorrhoids are as follows:
- Bad nutrition.
- Circulation problems.
- Anal intercourse practice.
- Chronic diarrhea.
If you want more information about hemorrhoids: types, symptoms and treatments , we will explain it to you in the following FastlyHealarticle.
Vibration in the anus due to fissure
Less well known than hemorrhoids, but even more annoying and painful than these are anal fissures . Anal fissures are tears or small wounds that occur in the tissue that lines the inside of the anus, usually in the posterior area of the anus.
On many occasions, anal fissures appear as a result of constipation . In people who suffer from constipation, the pressure and tension caused by the passage of such hard and large stools through the anus will cause cracks and small wounds. But this is not the only thing that can cause cracks, below we explain other possible causes behind this condition:
- Chronic diarrhea : if the diarrhea is prolonged it will cause a burn that will weaken the mucosa and can lead to an anal tear.
- Age : in older people it is common for blood flow to be reduced in that area.
- Hemorrhoids : if left untreated, they can end up leading to anal fissure.
- Childbirth : the effort that is made can cause anal fissures.
- Other diseases : Gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis cause symptoms such as diarrhea that can end up causing fissures.
Anal fissures are usually very painful, especially at the time of defecation. This pain is sharp, as if a knife were being passed through your rectum, and it can remain for several minutes after a bowel movement. Here we explain the rest of the symptoms of this condition:
- Sphincter contracture : a weight is felt in the rectum, as if something were moving.
- Blood in the bundles : or blood on the paper at the time of cleaning.
- Itching and stinging in the anus .
- Constipation : it may already be present or that, because of the pain caused by the evacuation, we interrupt the defecation.
In the following FastlyHealarticle we explain the symptoms and treatments of anal fissure .
Why do I feel palpitations in my anus: levator ani syndrome
The levator ani syndrome is a condition in which the patient may have the sensation of something pressing on the rectum and anus, as well as palpitations in the anus and pain . This pain is usually sharp and brief, usually a few seconds, although in other situations it can end up lasting for hours. On the other hand, this pain is usually worse when sitting and relieved when standing, worse when you are going to defecate and relieved when lying down. Likewise, people with levator ani syndrome often describe this condition as the sensation of sitting on a ball .
There is no clear cause for levator ani syndrome, however, it is thought to be due to muscle contracture of the puborectalis , a muscle that surrounds the posterior wall of the anus. However, when tests are performed, no anatomical alterations are usually found to support it. What is known is that this condition is usually aggravated in periods of stress and anxiety. It can also appear after inflammation or infection of the pelvic area.
Be that as it may, you should know that it is a benign pathology and that, beyond the annoying of its symptoms, it does not cause major problems.
The diagnosis of levator ani syndrome is usually made through symptoms. In addition, a rectal examination should be done, whereby the person will notice pain when the levator muscle beats, basically on the left side. The numbers that are handled speak that 6% of adults  suffer from this condition, however, it is an underrepresented pathology so that those affected could be many more.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Sensation that something moves in the anus , we recommend that you enter our category of Digestive system .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.