It’s always been said that when you can’t do something for any reason, you want to do it more. Whatever it is. The same happens during pregnancy, a time of life when certain habits must be changed, which in some cases can cost a lot. The main thing is to eat a healthy diet without excesses or gastronomic whims, since they could be harmful, especially if they are consumed frequently.
Sweets are not advisable during pregnancy, but the truth is that all women end up falling into temptation at some point during pregnancy. As much as it is not recommended to eat sweets during pregnancy, the truth is that one does not harm anyone, but one. Chocolate, cakes, industrial pastries, soft drinks …, all this must be limited during pregnancy to avoid complications such as suffering from gestational diabetes. In the following FastlyHealarticle we answer the question: is it bad to eat sweets during pregnancy?
Consequences of eating a lot of sugar in pregnancy
Eating a lot of sweets in pregnancy will not only affect the weight of the future mother, but also has very negative consequences for both the health of the pregnant woman and that of the baby.
It has been suggested that having high blood glucose levels during pregnancy can increase the risk of complications during pregnancy and at the time of delivery. These possible complications include the following:
- Babies born larger.
- Babies who suffer from hypoglycemia during the first days of life.
- Your chances of having a cesarean delivery increase.
- More at risk of injury to the birth canal.
On the other hand, one of the most dangerous consequences of eating a lot of sweets during pregnancy is suffering from gestational diabetes , which is one of the most common conditions in pregnancy, since around 10% of pregnant women suffer from it. Although it is a condition that progresses slowly and does not cause red flags, the affected person may be more fatigued, with blurred vision, more appetite and thirst, and have more frequent bladder or skin infections .
Therefore, we can conclude that it is not advisable to eat a lot of sweets during pregnancy, because in addition to increasing the weight of the woman, her blood glucose and insulin levels will also change, causing her to suffer from gestational diabetes and the baby to present certain problems at birth.
Healthy alternatives to not eating a lot of sweets during pregnancy
The best alternative for when you have a sweet tooth in pregnancy is to opt for those products or foods that have a low content of simple sugars. Some good ideas are listed below:
- Fruits: Fruits provide little sugar and many vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Nuts: Nuts are very good, especially walnuts, since they also provide folic acid, an essential element in the gestation months.
- Juices or yogurts, always choosing the containers labeled with “no added sugar”.
- Wholemeal cookies.
- Fresh cheese toasts with a little jam.
- Light or zero sugar soft drinks.
- Low sugar artisan ice cream.
- Natural smoothies with milk and fruit.
Tips to prevent gestational diabetes
Now that we have answered the question of whether it is bad to eat sweets in pregnancy and know what the best alternatives to these cravings may be, we are going to detail the tips that should be taken into account to prevent gestational diabetes:
- Follow a balanced and healthy diet at all times in which vegetables, fruits, legumes and the consumption of lean proteins and complex carbohydrates abound.
- Reduce fat in the diet as much as possible, as well as foods with added sugars or a lot of sugar.
- Eat five light meals a day to facilitate digestion.
- Eat slowly and chew your food well.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Perform physical exercise. It should be an appropriate activity, such as walking, Pilates, yoga, or swimming.
We recommend that you also consult the article What should I eat during pregnancy to avoid gaining weight .
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is it bad to eat sweets during pregnancy? , we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.