One of the most common fungal or fungal infections that occur in the digestive system is intestinal candidiasis. This condition usually occurs in the small intestine when Candida albicans, a very common fungus in our body, reproduces and increases its presence in an uncontrolled way in our intestines. This problem occurs when there is a drop in defenses or weakness of the immune system and, by reducing our body’s defenses, the usual flora in our intestines and other parts of the body tends to grow excessively. But, this immune weakness can be caused by many reasons and a doctor will need to perform tests to find this cause and not only treat the fungal infection but also the reason for the decrease in immunity.
If we want to improve as soon as possible and avoid complications, it is vital that we go to the doctor as soon as we notice the first symptom of discomfort and that we follow all the indications that the specialist tells us as a treatment. In addition, surely among the doctor’s guidelines it will be necessary to follow a diet designed to treat this problem and restore normality. If you want to know everything we need to know about intestinal candidiasis: symptoms and treatment , as well as contagion, diagnosis and the best diet to continue reading this FastlyHealarticle in which we reveal everything to you.
Table of Contents
Causes of intestinal yeast infection
The fungal infection produced by Candida albicans in the small intestine, known as intestinal candidiasis , is directly produced by the fact that this fungus has had an excessive growth soon. When our health is good, this fungus is found in our body in small amounts and it is beneficial for us by maintaining the balance in intestinal transit and in the absorption of nutrients, helping to eliminate waste and toxins more effectively. Specifically, it helps us get rid of carbohydrates and heavy metals that have not been absorbed, maintaining a good balance both in the digestive system and in the blood. But, as soon as there is an alteration in our immune system, the intestinal flora, including this fungus, grows excessively and infects the entire intestine, giving rise to intestinal candidiasis.
Thus, the possible causes of weakness of the immune system and, therefore, the factors that can cause candidiasis in the small intestine are the following:
- Poor diet: bad eating habits usually produce a deficit or lack of nutrients that cause a weakness in the immune system. Therefore, those who have a poor diet are more likely to ever suffer from this fungal infection. Within this unbalanced diet, the foods that most favor the appearance of this problem when taken in excess are simple carbohydrates, red meat, sausages, sugars and alcohol.
- Drinking tap water: many people have the habit of drinking tap water instead of bottled mineral water and due to the chlorine and lime content that this can have, it is detrimental to the intestinal flora and our defenses.
- Medications: the regular or prolonged use of medications such as cortisone or antibiotics or even hormonal contraceptive treatments can affect the defenses and flora of the small intestine.
- Pregnancy: Due to the increase in the hormone progesterone, insulin resistance can develop and there may be an increase in blood glucose that causes Candida albicans to reproduce rapidly.
- Immune system diseases: Health problems and diseases that directly attack the body’s defenses, such as HIV and AIDS, are one of the main reasons for secondary conditions such as this intestinal fungal infection.
- Other Conditions: Lack of digestive enzymes, being overweight, obesity, diabetes, stress and anxiety are other conditions and diseases that can cause a fungal infection of this type in our digestive system.
Main symptoms of intestinal candidiasis
If you wonder how to know if you have intestinal candidiasis, you should pay attention to the different signs and signals that your body sends you so that you recognize that you are getting sick or have a health problem. Thus, when fungi begin to increase in our intestines we can begin to feel some of the main physical symptoms of intestinal candidiasis :
- Bloating or abdominal swelling
- Feeling of stomach heaviness
- Difficult and heavy digestions
- Accumulation of gases
- Burning and gastroesophageal reflux
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Strange and very unpleasant stool odor
- Generalized itching
- Dry mouth
- Night sweats
- Exhaustion and weakness
Apart from the physical signs that can alert us that we suffer from this problem, there are some psychological or emotional symptoms of a fungal infection of this type:
- Difficult to focus
- Sudden mood swings
- Loss of self esteem
- Stress and anxiety
These last signs or signals usually appear when the disease has been suffered for a while and usually derive from the accumulation of prolonged fatigue, weakness and not having been able to identify the origin of the discomfort to treat it.
Contagion of intestinal candidiasis
Many people have doubts about the contagion of this type of fungus when it comes to intestinal infection, thinking that from this point there may be a better way to prevent it. But it must be clarified that in other types of infection by Candida albicans such as vaginal candidiasis it can be contagious, but that in the case of intestinal candidiasis it cannot be spread . As we have already explained before, this type of infection is produced directly by the uncontrolled increase of this fungus that normally inhabits our body and not externally.
Diagnosis of intestinal candidiasis
The doctor must perform a physical exam and several tests to detect this digestive tract infection. Mainly, a urinalysis should be done , and it must be the first urine in the morning, to more easily detect the presence of both fungi and possible bacteria. In addition, it may become necessary to do microbiological cultures which take longer to perform but are very effective not only to confirm or rule out the presence of this microorganism but also the exact type and species of it. But, in addition, you can perform a small test at home if you suspect that you have this condition and later consult your doctor. These are the steps to do thesaliva test for intestinal yeast infection :
- Take a clear crystal glass and fill it with bottled mineral water, not the tap.
- Spit a little saliva into the water just when you get up, as it is important that it is first thing in the morning when the fungus is usually more concentrated in the saliva.
- Observe the saliva for half an hour: if it is diluted well or remains floating on the surface then there is no infection by Candida albicans , but if it sinks, it even stays at the bottom of the glass or if it is not diluted and remains in threads or strands then a fungal infection can be suspected.
Treatment for intestinal yeast infection
Only the specialist doctor can recommend the best medical treatment for intestinal candidiasis in each case since the symptoms and factors that have led to the immune weakness and infection must be treated. Anyway, it is usual that the medical treatment includes antifungal or antifungal medications to eliminate the excess of fungi and stop the advance of the infection and also the taking of probiotics to regulate the intestinal flora.
Likewise, the specialist usually recommends following a specific diet and in some cases that doctors consider necessary it is possible to perform ozone therapy or colon hydrotherapy.
Natural treatment for intestinal candidiasis
Of course, if the specialist believes that there is a natural remedy that can serve as a reinforcement of the medical treatment, we can include it in the therapy to recover. For example, garlic treatment for intestinal candidiasis is a widely used remedy in natural medicine since garlic has great antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal properties. To do this, you just have to beat or blend a glass of water and a clove of garlic, strain to remove any pieces of garlic and drink on an empty stomach, or you can eat two raw garlic cloves a day.
Diet to treat intestinal yeast infection
As we have said, diet is vital to treat this infection and recover sooner and better. The specific function of this diet is to eliminate excess fungi or yeasts while restoring the intestinal flora. These are the phases of the intestinal yeast diet that doctors usually recommend:
In this phase, the intestines must be cleaned including enough daily water and also diuretic and detoxifying drinks, thus the elimination of yeasts or fungi will be favored. Regarding the food in this phase it should be light such as salads, white rice, grilled white fish in small quantities and steamed vegetables.
In this diet there are foods that should be included such as legumes, fish, white meat, light seeds (chia, sesame and flax), fresh vegetables and gluten-free cereals. On the other hand, there are others that should be avoided such as sugars, dairy products, sausages, red meat, mushrooms, refined cereals, fruits rich in fructose, vegetables rich in starch, caffeine, alcohol and yeast and flours.
Besides, you have to take supplements and probiotic and prebiotic foods that will help regulate the intestinal flora.
When the doctor tells us that the fungal infection has already passed and we are cured, we must begin to reintroduce the usual foods little by little. We can start with the most digestive foods and gradually include the rest until we regain our usual balanced diet.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Intestinal Candidiasis: symptoms and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.