One of the most desperate and disappointing moments is when you are looking for a pregnancy, and it does not come. Formerly women did not have so many options and alternatives within their reach. However, today on the market, some drugs help in infertility cases or difficulties in conceiving. One of them is Omifin, a drug created to stimulate the production of eggs in women and help in infertility cases. In some cases, it is also prescribed for some men. The effectiveness of Omifin will depend on the situation and the woman, and it can likely lead to multiple pregnancies. If you want to know how it works, in this FastlyHealarticle, we explain how to take Omifin to get pregnant, always going to your doctor and following their instructions.
How does Omifin works, and for whom is it recommended?
Omifin is used when a woman has problems with her ovulation cycle and is prescribed to achieve pregnancy. Its active principle is clomiphene citrate, which aims to induce ovulation.
During the ovulation period, the ovary releases an egg so that it can be fertilized, which occurs every 28 days and is known as the ovulation cycle. If the egg is not fertilized, then menstruation occurs. Some women have irregular cycles for various reasons, or they may not have enough eggs. Omifin works by stimulating the ovaries to begin to mature eggs and thus increases the number of fertile periods in women, which increases the chances of pregnancy.
Omifin is recommended on the following occasions:
- Women who do not ovulate or have a hard time ovulating. Every woman’s ovulation is different. In some cases, some women do not ovulate regularly or have a hard time ovulating due to various causes. When this happens, the production of eggs is not enough for the pregnancy to occur, and that is where Omifin can act.
- Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). In many cases, this produces anovulation (lack of eggs) and hormonal changes that affect ovulation and the menstrual cycle. Omifin will help egg production in these cases.
- Irregular ovulation. An irregular cycle can make the eggs insufficient when the pregnancy is sought, and it is more challenging to achieve it, although not impossible. Omifin can help the process when it has been tried many times and fails. Irregular ovulation can also be due to polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Women who are going to be inseminated in vitro. On many occasions, the action of Omifin is complementary to another treatment, such as in-vitro fertilization or artificial insemination. It will help produce more eggs so that there is a better chance of finding one that meets the requirements for fertilization.
- Some cases of sterile men. Omifin will also work in some men, for example, in hormonal imbalance with low sperm levels or poor quality or mobility of sperm.
How to take Omifin to get pregnant
Faced with any fertility problem, it is essential to go to the gynecologist to conduct the examination and corresponding tests and thus detect the problem. He will know what to prescribe in each case. If Omifin is the chosen drug, you must follow the instructions he gives you. You must bear in mind that Omifin, both in Spain and many other countries, cannot be purchased without a prescription.
Once prescribed for you, you should always follow the instructions of the doctor or prospectus and do not take more than you should since it will not help you get pregnant. Still, on the contrary, hyperstimulation of the ovaries can cause serious health problems.
Omifin treatment starts five days after the first day of menstruation, and one pill will be taken a day until day 9. In irregular cycles or polycystic ovary syndrome, it is safest for your doctor to prescribe the contraceptive pill before treatment with Omifin, usually for a month. This will create false menstruation.
The doses of each pill are 50 mg, and it is taken once a day until day 9. Medication will be taken daily for five days in a row. Explained better, the day your menstruation comes, you start counting five days, and on day 5, you start taking a pill, which you will continue taking for the next five days. In such a way that, since the menstruation began until the last day of the medication, nine days have passed, of which four have been with Omifin-free menstruation and five days taking it. In this way, in a week, you will ovulate again. The number of cycles in which you have to take Omifin will depend on the gynecologist’s decision, taking into account the analytics and situation of each woman.
In the cases of in vitro fertilization, it will be carried out the same way, but a follow-up with ultrasound will be added to locate the ovum that can be fertilized. In the case of polycystic ovary syndrome, it will also be accompanied by ultrasound scans to prevent the formation of an ectopic pregnancy (which develops outside the uterus).
Omifin effectiveness and precautions
The effectiveness of Omifin will also depend on the woman’s condition since, although it stimulates the production of eggs, it will not act in the same way in one or the other. However, it is estimated that it has an efficiency of 80%, and in terms of the success of fertilization, it is between 10 and 20%.
If the pregnancy does not come through several cycles, do not despair because you can go to other treatments or keep trying. The important thing is to stay calm and not stressed because, in many cases, the woman’s emotional state also affects her.
It would be best never to take a higher dose since the excess can affect the cervical mucus. In the case of polycystic ovary syndrome, the follicles (ovaries that have not yet matured) can increase, and hyperstimulation of the ovaries can occur. What is intended is to release eggs and not grow in size as this could increase the cysts. It should be borne in mind that Omifin treatment can cause multiple pregnancies, with its risks and complications.
Omifin side effects
Like any other medicine, Omifin also has adverse effects. The most common are:
- Nausea and vomiting can be mistaken for pregnancy symptoms, so it is advisable to consult your doctor.
- Enlargement of the ovaries.
- Vaginal dryness
- Pain in the chest, abdomen, or stitches in the ovaries.
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Weight gain.
Faced with these symptoms, it is essential to go to the gynecologist and ultimately stop treatment if the doctor considers it appropriate, but never on your own.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to take Omifin to get pregnant, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.