The genital lips are part of the external genitalia of women, and these are responsible for protecting the internal genital organs from infectious agents and, in addition, providing pleasure. Due to their location, they are in contact with different germs, so they are highly likely to be affected by infections that generate sores or ulcers.
These lesions indicate an underlying disease, so it is essential to know much more about the l lagas on the labia: its causes and treatment. We invite you to continue reading this FastlyHealarticle.
Why do sores appear on the genital lips?
The causes capable of triggering the presence of sores on the genital lips range from infectious sexually transmitted diseases to allergic reactions. Among them are:
- Genital herpes is an infectious process of viral origin that can cause sores in the mouth and on the genital lips. This disease is transmitted by direct contact with the virus sexually or by contact with the hands with a lesion in the mouth or on the lips of the genital area. These lesions frequently appear in the vulvar region and at the entrance to the vagina.
- Soft chancre: This disease is transmitted by bacteria during sexual intercourse when it comes into contact with the partner’s lesions. This ulcer is characterized by being very painful and accompanied by palpable swollen glands, which in some cases can ooze.
- Lymphogranuloma venereum: a bacterium known as Chlamydia, transmitted sexually, causes this disease. It generates the presence of a sore or ulcerative lesion at the genital level accompanied by swollen inguinal and femoral ganglions that form unilateral abscesses.
- Inguinal granuloma is caused by a bacterium that generates the appearance of painless ulcers that progressively increase in size without swollen glands. These lesions bleed easily, unlike the others, and are transmitted through sexual contact.
- Human papillomavirus: an infection that is transmitted exclusively through sex. Human papillomavirus infection gives rise to genital warts, which, in some cases, can develop into sores on the genital lips.
- Atopic dermatitis: chronic skin disorders are a triggering factor in the appearance of red and itchy rashes on the genital lips, which can become ulcerations due to handling and frequent scratching.
- Allergic reaction: to vaginal perfumes, softeners, detergents, creams, or ointments for genital use, and vaginal douches can trigger the appearance of sores or wounds on the female genitalia.
- The presence of a Bartholin cyst or abscess or any other gland can generate lesions or increase in volume. These become complicated abscesses by producing more significant alterations in the genital lips.
- Scratches or trauma can lead to genital ulcers.
Sores on the genital lips: associated symptoms
The manifestation of the following symptoms characterizes the presence of sores or ulcers on the genital lips:
- Color changes in the genital lips.
- Pain when touching them or rubbing them with underwear.
- Intense itching
- Redness of the genital area.
- Tingling sensation.
- Pain when urinating or during sexual intercourse.
- Presence of fluid or vaginal discharge.
Sores on the genital lips: medical treatment
If you have presented some of the symptoms mentioned above, you should go to the gynecologist. Through a medical examination, he will indicate the treatment to follow.
If there are doubts about the cause that gave rise to the presence of sores on the genital lips, a blood test or culture should be requested to take a sample of the affected area and thus be able to determine the causative bacteria of the problem. In this way, the precise treatment to eliminate it will be indicated with those antibiotics to which the bacteria are sensitive.
- Suppose the lesion or sore on the genital lips is the product of herpes. The indicated treatment will be orally or locally at the injury site with antivirals such as Acyclovir. These injuries are harrowing, so the use of pain relievers is recommended, and the application of cold water compresses to relieve pain.
- To treat these lesions caused by the soft chancre infection, a doctor’s prescription of antibiotics for seven days is required. The infected person’s partner should also receive treatment even if they do not have injuries.
- Suppose the sore is the product of a venereal lymphogranuloma. In that case, the treatment to follow is with antibiotics for three weeks, and, in some cases, it is necessary to drain the abscessed adenopathy.
- When the ulcer is due to an inguinal granuloma, the treatment to follow is based on antibiotics for three weeks, at the same time the couples with whom they have had contact during the 60 days before the symptoms appear.
- In the case of human papillomavirus (HPV) lesions, the doctor will indicate the treatment to be followed depending on the type of lesion present. Often, wart removal is done in the operating room by resecting lesions on the genitals.
In addition to pharmacological treatment, specific personal care must be followed to accelerate the healing process.
Care in case of sores on the genital lips
If you practice the following care, you can alleviate the symptoms of genital canker sores:
- Apply cold compresses several times a day or do sitz baths. With this, you will be able to relieve the itching and pain.
- The area of the genital lips should be kept well cleaned, washing the area with plenty of water, neutral soap, and then drying gently.
- The bandage should not be placed on the intimate area, and it should be left in the open air to accelerate healing.
- The sores should not be touched or scratched, and they can become infected and become severe.
- You should only apply cream or ointment if your specialist doctor has indicated it to you.
- To heal sores on the genital lips more quickly, it is recommended to wear comfortable cotton underwear and not close to the body.
- The use of nylon stockings or any other synthetic fiber is not recommended.
- Baggy pants should be worn, not close to the body.
Home remedies for genital lip sores
Home remedies are an excellent help to naturally treat genital lip sores, although always combined with drug treatment and medical indications. Some of the most effective remedies are:
- Calendula: this plant acts as an anti-inflammatory, healing, and antiseptic. It allows the wounds to be clean, disinfected, and defamed. For its application, the dried flowers are used, they are added in 150 ml of boiling water, let it rest for about 10 or 15 minutes, a cotton ball is dipped in the tea and applied to the sore three times a day, leaving let it act for about 10 minutes.
- Nightshade: this herb has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it helps to calm the symptoms of the sore on the genital lips or injury that you present. This plant is used to dry wounds and heal them. You should prepare a tea with five leaves of this herb in a cup of boiling water, let it simmer for 10 minutes and once it cools, apply it to the area where the sore is located with the help of a cotton ball. The leaves can also be used as a poultice after being boiled, placing them directly on the affected area and allowing them to act for about 10 minutes.
- Sarsaparilla: this plant has excellent healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it reduces inflammation and stimulates the healing of lesions caused by herpes. For its use, tea must be made, for which you will need to place the leaves of this plant in a cup of boiling water, let it rest, and drink or wash the affected area with it when it has cooled down.
- Propolis: it is a natural remedy with excellent regenerative and antiviral properties. It is used for wound healing. This product is prepared and packaged in a direct natural way to be used in the form of an extract. You must apply 3 to 4 drops three times a day on the injury.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Sores on the genital lips: causes and treatment, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.