Related to a hormonal imbalance and without distinguishing ages, polycystic ovary syndrome affects women of childbearing age from adolescence, causing different symptoms such as irregular menstruation, pelvic pain, acne, infertility, and weight gain.
Women who suffer from polycystic ovary wonder how they can lose weight with this condition; this reason motivates them to go to the doctor in search of quick solutions for this common problem among women who suffer from this syndrome. In the following FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about what to do if you have this condition, and, in addition, we will explain how to lose weight if you have polycystic ovaries.
Table of Contents
Polycystic ovaries: what is it, and what are the symptoms
Mayo Clinic defines polycystic ovarian syndrome as a hormonal disorder in which small collections of fluid form in the ovaries, and consequently, eggs cannot be released regularly .
The frequency with which this condition appears is approximately 5 to 10% of women. Those with this syndrome are characterized by having multiple cysts in the ovaries that are diagnosed in addition to the pelvic or transvaginal ultrasound with the clinic. Similarly, in the diagnosis, the symptoms produced by the presence of these cysts are also significant:
- Irregular menstrual periods and sometimes amenorrhea, that is, the absence of menstruation, implies that there is no ovulation.
- Hirsutism is hair growth on the face, chest, and abdomen.
- Weight gain or mild obesity, there is the difficulty maintaining average weight, and it accumulates most of the time around the waist.
- It reproduces something called alopecia which is hair loss.
- In addition, polycystic ovary syndrome manifests itself by presenting acne.
- Acanthosis nigricans consist of the skin’s darkening and thickening in the regions of the neck, armpits, and breasts.
How to lose weight with polycystic ovaries
One of the manifestations of this syndrome is the presence of increased fat that accumulates in the waist region. Some women have mild obesity and are concerned about how to lose those extra kilos.
In its informative guide for patients, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine  explains that weight loss improves hormonal status in all patients suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome, significantly impacting physical activities.
The problem is that women who suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome most of the time are related to a pathology called insulin resistance. This implies that hunger and cravings for food increase, which, in turn, causes weight gain.
The best way to start losing weight with a polycystic ovary is:
- Eating correctly: Avoid all foods that contain processed sugar, salty foods, and foods with high-fat content, in which case you said to include it in the diet. The recommendation is that they represent less than 20% of the diet. It is also recommended that the protein portion should be set between 30 and 40% and the carbohydrate portion represents less than 50%. These were the ideal proportions to achieve weight loss in the presence of polycystic ovary syndrome. Along with a balanced diet, foods such as white beans, potatoes, and bananas should be included.
- Even with the polycystic ovary, exercising daily is another way to lose weight effectively. This allows the body to use insulin properly. It is recommended to practice 30 minutes of exercise a day, including the routine of walking, practicing yoga, or even dance therapy.
Other ways to lose weight with polycystic ovary
Here are some tips to lose weight with polycystic ovaries :
- To try to eat less, it is recommended to minimize distractions. The time to eat is exclusively for that. This implies concentration to make you feel more satisfied and reduce calories. This, in turn, allows you to reduce body weight.
- Rest the necessary hours during the night. Sleeping 8 hours a night without depriving sleep is recommended, making the rest time restorative.
- Avoid eating outside the home; this allows you to cook and eat healthier meals with less fat and the necessary calories to feel satisfied, also considering the proportions of each ingredient in each dish.
- Includes supplements such as minerals, vitamins, antioxidants (magnesium, zinc, calcium, vitamin B3, biotin, vitamin B6).
- Eat regularly and on time, including snacks between meals such as low-fat yogurt with vegetables, whole wheat bread with cheese, strawberry yogurt.
- Control stress is the worst enemy with insulin resistance, ideally managing stress.
- Avoid addictive habits, mainly smoking.
- Finally, it is important to record how much you have progressed in weight, always keeping short and long-term goals in mind.
Fight polycystic ovaries naturally.
To treat polycystic ovaries naturally and, in turn, contribute to weight loss, it is recommended to prepare the following home remedy with raw beets and cane honey. It is indicated to take half a cup in the morning and half a cup at night, rest for one week and continue the process.
The preparation is straightforward; the beets must be peeled, chopped into medium pieces, and blended with one glass of water and a measure of cane honey. Finally, it is strained to extract the juice.
Improve the condition of the polycystic ovary. Your body weight will surely improve, so do not hesitate to consult the gynecologist and the endocrinologist. This requires simultaneous evaluation between specialists to achieve proper weight loss, even if you have a polycystic ovary.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to lose weight if I have polycystic ovaries, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
- Mayo Clínic, disponible en https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pcos/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353443
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.