The skin of the armpits is extremely sensitive and delicate and due to the continuous friction that occurs in the area, its tone is slightly darker than that of other parts of the body. However, this slight coloration can be accentuated for various reasons, from poor hygiene habits, the use of inappropriate deodorants, excessive sun exposure, to hormonal imbalances or conditions such as excessive sweating. When this happens, dark spots may appearquite unsightly that generate great discomfort to the person who presents them by not being able to raise their arms or show their armpits safely. If you are looking for good solutions to this problem, pay attention to the following lines of this FastlyHealarticle and discover the best home remedies to remove underarm spots.
Causes of underarm spots
The appearance of dark spots in the armpits is something that can be caused by different factors or by some of them as a whole; Among the most frequent causes of dark armpits are those detailed below:
- Excessive exposure to the sun, since UV rays favor the production of melanin in the skin and the result is a darker tone that can end up causing spots that are difficult to remove.
- Use frequent razors or blades to pluck the armpits. These types of hair removal methods do not remove the hair by the roots and cause dryness, as well as changes in the color of the skin.
- Use of aggressive deodorants, of poor quality or that contain alcohol and many chemical components.
- Accumulation of dead cells in the underarm area and lack of hydration, which can eventually lead to a temporary darkening of the skin.
- Excessive perspiration or hyperhidrosis.
- Hormonal alterations In pregnancy, for example, due to hormonal changes there is likely to be an overproduction of melanin and this can lead to darker areas, including the armpits.
- Genetic factors.
In the event that the dark spots in the armpits are accompanied by other symptoms such as irritation, itching or scales on the skin, it will be advisable that you go to the doctor or dermatologist to find out what the exact cause is, since it could be some type of skin infection or allergic reaction.
Baking soda and lemon
The combination of baking soda and lemon is one of the most effective in lightening dark armpits and returning the skin in this area to its original tone. On the one hand, bicarbonate has very powerful whitening properties and is excellent for fighting also bad odor problems in the armpits , since it acts against the bacteria responsible for these. On the other hand, lemon inhibits the production of melanin in the skin, making it lighten, and it is astringent, so it cleans the area in depth and removes impurities.
Make a paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of baking soda with the freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon and apply the paste to the armpits using a gentle circular massage. Let it work for about 10 minutes and repeat the treatment every day for a week. It is important that you do not expose the skin of the armpits to the sun when you finish doing it, since unsightly spots could appear in the area. And if you have very sensitive skin, it is important that you make sure that the mixture will not be harmful to you and that, previously, you reduce the lemon juice with a little water.
Another of your allied products to remove underarm stains in a completely harmless way can be apple cider vinegar. Its natural acid has a very effective whitening action, it is a cleanser and a disinfectant. In addition, it helps prevent and combat excessive sweating and neutralize the unpleasant odors that result from it.
To take advantage of its lightening properties, we recommend applying a little apple cider vinegar with a cotton pad to your armpits once or twice a week. You can also mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of rice flour and apply the resulting paste on the blemished skin, leaving it to take effect for about 15 minutes. After this time, remove with plenty of warm water.
Oatmeal, honey and lemon scrub
Carrying out a regular exfoliation in the underarm area will eliminate all the dead cells and accumulated toxins, and this translates into a very smooth but also clearer skin with a uniform tone.
One of the homemade lotions that offers better results since it also deeply hydrates the skin, is the one made with oatmeal, honey and lemon. The recipe is very simple, in a bowl mix 2 tablespoons of ground rolled oats with 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice of half a lemon. Just when you are in the shower and with damp skin, spread the resulting paste on the armpits and massage in circular motions for a few seconds. Let it rest for approximately 10 minutes and remove with warm water. This is a treatment that you can repeat up to 2 times a week.
Other similar scrubs that you can prepare are those that combine sugar or coarse salt with olive oil, almond oil or honey.
Yogurt and turmeric
In this list of home remedies to remove underarm spots , we also have to include the mixture of yogurt and turmeric. Yogurt, yes in its natural version, is refreshing, disinfectant and the lactic acid it contains allows to lighten the dark tone of blemished skin, either due to sun exposure, excessive use of razors, bad deodorants, etc. . Similarly, turmeric is a spice that also helps whiten the skin and reduce dark pigmentation spots, especially when they are the result of age or hormonal changes.
We suggest you prepare a mask by mixing 2 tablespoons of natural yogurt with 1 tablespoon of turmeric and applying it to the skin of the armpits, preferably before showering. You have to wait for it to act for about 30 minutes and then rinse with warm water. You can repeat the procedure once a day until you notice the difference.
The starch found in potatoes is perfect for naturally whitening dark armpits and making them look just as beautiful and healthy as before. To use this popular food as a remedy, you will first have to peel a potato and process it in a blender. Spread the potato juice you get on the armpits by applying it with a cotton ball, let it sit for 15 minutes and, finally, remove it with warm water.
Another option is to rub a few slices of potato directly on the darkened skin once a week, at least.
Tips to prevent dark armpits
- Take care of and wash the armpits daily with soap and warm water.
- Hydrate them by spreading your usual body cream over the skin in that area.
- Exfoliate your armpits once a week to prevent the accumulation of dead cells, which can end up dulling your skin and making it appear darker.
- Instead of shaving your armpits with razor blades, use methods that pull hair out by the roots like cold, warm, or hot wax, as these don’t tend to create unsightly shading.
- Use mild, alcohol-free deodorants that don’t contain many chemicals.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes, made of natural fibers and that favor perspiration if you are going to sweat or suffer from excessive sweating.
- Do not forget to apply sun cream in the armpit area when you go to expose yourself to the sun.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies to remove underarm spots , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.