I was wondering how to lighten dark armpits? There are safe dermatological treatments that can help you end this cosmetic problem, as well as some home remedies that can help reduce the darkening of the skin. However, in the first place, it is essential to discover what is the cause of the dark spots in the armpits, since although most of the time it is due to easily adjustable habits, on other occasions, it can be the consequence of a health problem or disease underlying.
In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain in detail how to lighten dark armpits, the leading causes of hyperpigmentation in this area, and what are the best existing treatments to bring back healthy and clear skin.
Table of Contents
Dark armpits: causes
Before knowing how to lighten dark armpits, let’s see what the causes related to the darkening of the skin in this area are:
- Constant shaving: by not removing the hair from the armpit by the roots, it is normal for some hair to remain there and darken this area. In addition, as they have not been removed from the sources, they tend to grow much faster than with waxing, which means that you will soon have to do a new shave, which can irritate the skin and darken it.
- Lack of exfoliation: this area, in addition to being sensitive, tends to accumulate impurities and dead cells, so if it is not exfoliated frequently, the skin is likely to darken.
- Acanthosis nigricans: a clinical sign that is associated with diseases such as diabetes mellitus and obesity. It presents dark spots in some body areas, such as the neck, groin, and armpits.
- Ultraviolet rays: a common cause of underarm spots is overexposure to the sun, which stimulates melanin production and, therefore, causes dark spots or pigmentation on the skin.
- Pregnancy: the hormonal changes during pregnancy are proportionally related to the darkening of some body areas, including the armpits, areolas, genitals, and abdomen.
- Use of deodorants: not all deodorants favor our skin, the armpits are delicate, and there are entirely aggressive antiperspirants. These products tend to irritate this area and can stain or darken it. It is advisable to use neutral deodorants without fragrance or alcohol.
- Genetic factors: the probability of having dark armpits increases if there is a family history of extra melanin production.
- Moisture and sweat can cause skin pigmentation.
- The use of some clothes can cause injuries that, over time, turn into dark spots in the armpits.
How to lighten dark armpits: dermatological treatment
Knowing all the possible causes of the darkening of the armpits, we will mention all the dermatological treatments available to clarify them effectively. Although, indeed, it is not a severe health problem, anyone who suffers from it usually looks for a quick solution to improve their aesthetics.
There are at least six effective treatments to lighten dark armpits, including:
- Chemical peeling: it is a dermatological treatment in which, using a chemical application of glycolic, salicylic or lactic acid, the outermost layer of the skin of the armpit is removed. With this procedure, dead cells and all damaged tissue in this area are removed. It is possible that with this treatment, the complete elimination of the stain can be achieved, showing, later, a clean armpit and a renewed skin.
- Retinoids: in this case, creams or pills with these active ingredients are beneficial for lightening the armpits. Some drugs with these substances can be purchased without a prescription.
- Dermabrasion: This procedure is performed by health professionals and is carried out with creams or abrasive substances with which deep peels can be achieved.
- Calcipotriene: It is known as a synthetic form of vitamin D effective in dermatological treatment to treat skin blemishes.
- Cryotherapy: treatment in which skin conditions are treated by applying low temperatures. In this case, it can be through the application of liquid nitrogen, a substance that freezes the dermis tissues and then removes them without any inconvenience. Dermatologists should only perform this procedure.
- Hydroquinone: finally, within the dermatological treatments to lighten the armpits, we find hydroquinone, a substance that reduces the synthesis of melanosomes, which generate melanin and give the skin tone.
Home remedies for dark armpits
Multiple home remedies can also help you whiten your armpits quickly as long as the darkening of the skin is not a disease or health problem.
How to whiten your armpits with baking soda
This home remedy is straightforward and serves to lighten dark armpits and combat odor problems in this area. The bicarbonate acts as a natural exfoliant, eliminating dead cells and fighting the bacteria present.
- Mix 1 and ½ tablespoons of baking soda with the juice of 1 lemon in a bowl to form a smooth paste
- Apply the mixture obtained on the armpits and leave it to act for 30 minutes.
- Diego, remove it with warm water.
- Apply this treatment every day consecutively until your armpits have cleared.
How to lighten your armpits with potato
Another home remedy to remove underarm stains is sliced white potato since the starch in this food can help lighten darkened skin.
- Rub a slice of raw potato on the dark skin for 3 minutes.
- Leave it on for 30 more minutes and wash the armpits with soap and water.
- Perform this treatment two times a week until the armpits have cleared up.
How to lighten your armpits with coconut oil
Just as you read it, coconut oil is also effective in lightening the armpits as it helps remove dead cells.
- Apply a few drops of coconut oil to the armpits.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Remove with lukewarm water.
- Perform the treatment 2 times a day until the armpits have cleared.
Other home remedies
- Orange peel: after removing the peel from the orange, dry it in the sun until it can be ground. You must mix the smooth powder with milk and apply it to the armpits for the soft powder you get. Leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse with cold water. Perform this treatment four days a week.
- Oatmeal: a mixture made with oats, honey, and lemon is effective in lightening these unpleasant stains; leave it on for 1 hour before removing it. Apply it two times a week.
- Lim ng: lemon can help remove stains on the skin if applied only at night and in the morning completely removed.
- Lemon and glycerin: Lemon juice mixed with glycerin and even almond oil helps lighten the armpits. Apply the mixture for 20 minutes on your armpits before taking a shower.
- Yogurt: in addition to refreshing and disinfecting, yogurt cleanses your armpits; you can apply it with glycerin and lemon to enhance its lightning effect.
- Sugar: you can use it as a natural exfoliant; it allows to unclog pores and promote cell renewal. Three tablespoons of sugar mixed with lemon juice and applied for 20 minutes on the armpits will enable you to rinse them, do not forget to remove it well with warm water.
- Sa bila: aloe vera is used par excellence for the skin; it regenerates, moisturizes, and is antiseptic; apply it on the armpits and remove very well with water and neutral soap every day for a few weeks.
Keep discovering suitable natural treatments in the article Home remedies to remove underarm spots.
How to avoid dark armpits
In addition to the above treatments to lighten the armpits, there are a series of tips that you can follow in your daily routine to prevent the skin in this area from darkening:
- Wax your armpits instead of shaving your hair.
- Use deodorants that are alcohol-free and do not irritate the skin.
- Use neutral soaps to shower.
- Moisturize underarm skin every day with nourishing and soothing body creams.
- Exfoliate your underarm skin at least once a week.
- Wear loose-fitting shirts that promote perspiration in the area.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to lighten dark armpits, we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.