The stomach is an essential organ in the body, so its proper functioning is necessary to maintain a good level of health. It joins the small intestine with the esophagus and has a very significant function when it comes to the digestion of food that is consumed on a daily basis. Being so linked to this procedure when eating, it can suffer various alterations due to a large number of causes that a professional will identify after a visit that the patient must perform as soon as they feel any symptoms.
One of the most common and frequent complaints in many people is the well-known stomach spasms. These pains can be very annoying and difficult to eliminate, especially if the origin of them is not found or treatment is not carried out. That is why in the following FastlyHealarticle, we detail some home remedies for stomach spasms to get rid of the discomfort.
Table of Contents
Symptoms and causes of stomach spasms
Although stomach spasms are not usually a serious situation in themselves, their frequency, duration and acute discomfort could affect the performance of the person suffering from them and many times it may be indicating the presence of an alteration that requires medical attention. Therefore, it is necessary to know how to identify the symptoms that accompany them, including:
- Swelling in the abdominal area.
- Sharp pain in the stomach.
- Feeling of having eaten a lot.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Intestinal transit disorders, with episodes of diarrhea and constipation .
- Excessive sweating
Likewise, it is considered as spasms in the stomach to the involuntary and continuous contraction of the abdominal muscles due to the inflammation of the stomach lining, the excessive accumulation of gases or poor digestion. These gastrointestinal disorders that cause spasms can occur for various causes , the most common being:
- Bacterial infection.
- Intolerance to any ingested food.
- Suffering from irritable bowel .
- Infectious colitis.
- Kidney stones .
- Consuming excess alcohol or carbonated drinks.
- Muscle tension.
- Going through high moments of nervousness, anxiety or stress.
When these spasms are strong or constant, it is necessary to go to the specialist to determine the cause and be able to combat it with the correct treatment. However, many people resort to the use of home remedies for stomach cramps, which are very effective in reducing symptoms and as a complement to help medical treatment, favoring a faster recovery.
Black tea with lemon for stomach spasms and gas
Drinking black tea with lemon can have a great anti-inflammatory and detoxifying effect that considerably improves digestion, thus greatly reducing the recurrence of stomach aches that a person can suffer. This is because both ingredients have a great effect on heartburn caused by gastric juices because it helps to neutralize it and, in turn, promote the expulsion of gases.
- ½ tablespoon or 5 gr. of black tea.
- 250 ml or a cup of water.
- 10 ml or a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add the teaspoon of black tea to the cup of water to bring it to a boil.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Finally, strain the drink and add the spoonful of lemon juice.
This infusion should be drunk warm at the same time that the spasms begin to be felt, although its consumption can be repeated 2 times a day.
Lemon rind, reduces symptoms of stomach spasms
Many people discard lemon peel without knowing the incredible benefits it offers. This product has a high concentration of dietary fiber and essential oils from lemon that are excellent for relieving cramps and improving symptoms caused by slow digestion.
- The rind of 1 lemon.
- 250 ml of water or a cup.
- Bring the water to a boil to add the lemon rind until it reaches a boil.
- Finally, you have to remove the mixture from the heat to cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Its consumption is recommended on an empty stomach in the morning or when you feel spasms. This drink can be taken up to 3 times every day.
Infusion of mint and basil, relieves digestive discomfort
Another of the best remedies for intestinal spasms is the infusion of mint and basil. The digestive effects of mint leaf are combined with the antispasmodic properties of basil, which helps fight abdominal inflammation and pain caused by spasms. This is because both products improve bowel movement and reduce the accumulation of gases and toxins.
- 5 g or ½ tablespoon mint.
- 5 g or ½ tablespoon of basil.
- 250 ml or 1 cup of water.
- Place the leaves of both plants in a cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, cover and let it rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Finally, strain.
- When a slight sign of spasms is felt, a full cup should be ingested and, if deemed necessary, consumption can be repeated 2 times a day.
Rice water, good home remedy for stomach problems
Thanks mainly to its rich starch content, rice water is one of the best home remedies for stomach spasms due to gas accumulation, poor digestion or inflammation, since this nutrient acts as a demulcent substance protecting the mucosa that covers the digestive system. It also reduces inflammation and calms discomfort and irritation in both the stomach and intestines.
- 1 cup of rice.
- 4 cups of water.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Put the 4 cups of water with a little oil, a pinch of salt and the 2 cloves of garlic on the fire.
- Before this mixture begins to boil, add the cup of rice and cook for 20 minutes over low heat, stirring it constantly with a spoon to achieve the best possible starch in the water.
- To drink this remedy you have to wait until it is warm. It is recommended to drink 2 to 3 glasses a day to get the benefits of rice water. Also, when heating the water with the garlic, it can be complemented with bay leaves or cinnamon and lemon peel, which also have properties to combat stomach problems.
Chamomile for nerve stomach spasms
To reduce inflammation, expel accumulated gases, facilitate digestion and relieve anxiety or other disorders associated with nervousness that favor the production of cramps in the stomach, it is recommended to drink chamomile infusions as a natural remedy and complementary to medical treatment. These properties are thanks, especially, to its active principles, its composition in flavonoids and antémic acid.
- 250 ml or 1 cup of water.
- 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers.
- Heat the water and at the first boil add the teaspoon of chamomile to leave it on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Then remove from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes until it is warm, strain and serve.
- It is highly recommended to drink it after every meal to improve digestion and prevent stomach cramps.
- You can also add other herbs to alleviate digestive problems, such as anise or lemon. If you want to sweeten the chamomile infusion, the most natural and healthy way is by adding some pieces of fruit such as apple.
Other home remedies for stomach spasms
There are several plants that have excellent properties to reduce digestive and nervous disorders that tend to favor the presence of stomach cramps. However, it is important to always consult with a specialist before ingesting them and not consider them as a substitute for medical treatment, especially if it occurs constantly. Some of them are:
- Cumin seeds in infusion.
- Infusion of bay leaves.
- Cinnamon infusion.
- Infusion of lemon balm.
- Lavender infusion.
- Tila infusion.
- Fennel infusion.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for stomach spasms , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.