It is known as parasitosis to diseases caused by some parasite, that is, by organisms that live at the expense of another, feeding on different elements that originate in the host, causing health problems. There are parasites of different sizes and types, which can be found inside the body or living on the skin.
Most of the parasitosis are registered in children, but they affect all types of people and of any age. Parasites are transmitted in various ways, frequently by ingesting contaminated food or water, by the bite of an infected insect, coming into contact with its natural environment or with another animal that carries it, such as lice.
The highest incidence of parasitosis cases is in tropical areas and in developing countries, but they can occur in any area of the planet and it is important to be informed about the effects they produce and how to combat them. For this reason, at FastlyHealwe inform you about parasitosis: symptoms and treatment .
Table of Contents
Types of parasitosis
There are many organisms that can harm the body of another living being by obtaining their food and way of life from it, but it is possible to divide them into three groups, according to the area in which they are found:
- Intestinal parasites: parasites attach to the wall of the host’s large or small intestine, sometimes in other parts of the digestive tract. They can be unicellular organisms to some type of worm and cause diseases such as amoebiasis, taeniasis and ascariasis.
- Hematic and tissue parasitosis : the parasites live or reproduce in the bloodstream or in some of the host’s tissues. They are single-celled organisms and cause important pathologies, including malaria, toxoplasmosis , Chagas disease, and leishmaniasis.
- Cutaneous parasitosis : in this case the parasites are found in some area outside the body of the host, but they still depend on it to live. Usually arthropod organisms and most recognized conditions are scabies or scabies and pediculosis.
Main symptoms of parasitosis
The possible symptoms of parasitosis will depend on the type of parasite , the area it affects and the predisposition of the host. In some cases, such as amebiasis , the patient may not present signs of the disease, but in general, some of the symptoms of intestinal parasites that may be observed are: acute or chronic diarrhea, bloody or mucus stools, abdominal pain, inflammation of the abdomen from intestinal gas, nausea, vomiting, fever, weight loss, dehydration, inflammation of the large intestine, respiratory problems, anal, nasal or genital irritation or itching.
On the other hand, in hematic and tissue parasitosis, some of the symptoms that stand out are headaches, fever, swollen lymph nodes, cardiac problems, persistent nodules or hives, and generalized fluid accumulation.
In cutaneous parasitosis, symptoms such as intense itching in the affected area, rashes or pimples, and scratching lesions can be found.
Treatments to combat parasitosis
It is important that if you detect any of the symptoms of parasitosis you go to the doctor as soon as possible so that he makes the correct diagnosis and gives you the appropriate treatment, since some medications are directed for certain species of parasites.
In general, treatments are not long and usually include drugs in tablets or solutions , medicated shampoos and creams. However, depending on your health condition and if you have developed another disorder, your doctor may prescribe intravenous fluids or other remedies to combat complications, such as respiratory or heart problems.
In addition, the most advisable thing is that people who live mostly with the patient are treated for parasitosis even if they do not suffer from symptoms, in order to prevent it from being infected again.
Preventive measures against parasites
To keep parasites out of the body, it is advisable to:
- Clean your hands with plenty of water before cooking or eating and after using the bathroom.
- Wash fruits, vegetables and vegetables before consuming.
- In places without drinking water, boil it for 10 minutes.
- Always keep your nails short to avoid the transmission of parasites that enter through the mouth when placing your fingers in this cavity.
- Always keep the house clean and dry.
- If the area you live in is prone to parasites, it is recommended that you deworm yourself several times a year. Go to the doctor to tell you the dose.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Parasitosis: symptoms and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.