Although thanks to the development of medical sciences, especially in urban living environments, the number of diseases that affect humans has drastically decreased in recent years compared to past times or, at least, we have managed to control their symptoms and improve your forecasts. But everything has its negative side, and due to the characteristics of the lifestyle in big cities imposed by modern society, certain conditions began to become much more common a few years ago.
One of these conditions is stress, which all of us have suffered at some point due to the demands of our work, studies or for whatever reason. Some people are even subjected to excessive levels of stress on a daily basis, producing a rather chronic condition. One of the main consequences of stress is its impact on the stomach and digestive tract, creating symptoms that we relate to nerves. In this FastlyHealarticle we will talk about the nerves in the stomach: causes, symptoms and remedies so that you know how to avoid them and what to do when it occurs.
What Causes Nerves In The Stomach
When a person is exposed to a situation that produces high levels of stress or anxiety, there are a series of changes, mainly at the hormonal level , that prepare the body to face this situation. These hormonal changes predispose the body to fight or flight in the face of what is understood to be a survival situation, a danger from which it is necessary to either escape or face. Basically this response lowers the blood levels of the organs that are not involved in fighting or escape actions to increase the amount of blood in the muscles and thus be better prepared to deal with the situation.
Part of the organs that decrease its blood supply are those of the digestive system, specifically the stomach, because the digestion process is not considered vital in this situation, so it is suspended until after the stress stage, and as a result of decreased blood supply produces nerve-related symptoms in the stomach.
What are the symptoms of nerves in the stomach
The stomach symptoms that a person may feel as a result of the nerves can be various and more or less serious depending on whether there are conditions that worsen the situation, for example, that the affected person suffers from gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux . The most common symptoms include the following:
- Stomach noises
- Excessive belching
- Cramps and pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
There may also be a series of psychological symptoms due to the emotional origin of this condition:
How to relieve the nerves in the stomach
There are some foods and drinks that you can consume to alleviate the symptoms of stomach nerves when you are under constant stress or about to have a stressful event:
- Medicinal plant teas such as chamomile , valerian, poppy, kava kava and others have sedative effects, so they reduce nerves and also reduce spasms, thus producing a decrease in pain. In the following article we will talk about medicinal plants for anxiety .
- The honey may create a protective layer in the stomach by decreasing the effects of acids.
- Similarly, a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of hot water reduces stomach acidity and therefore improves symptoms.
- The mint and ginger can help relax the muscles of the stomach and reduce symptoms of nausea.
How to avoid stomach nerves
Modifying certain attitudes and acquiring new habits to apply them when you are going through a stressful situation can go a long way to help you avoid symptoms of stomach nerves:
- Rehearse with enough time : many times the nerves in the stomach originate from the fear of giving a talk, seminar or something similar. Practicing your dialogues with enough time will make you feel much more confident at the time of your presentation and will lessen the symptoms.
- Speak positively to yourself : in these stressful situations many negative thoughts cross our minds. Avoiding these thoughts is essential to avoid the consequences of nerves and a good way to do it is by saying positive things to yourself.
- Do not consume caffeine : the effects of caffeine can further enhance the fight or flight response that the body tends to undergo stressful situations, which can enhance the effects of the stomach on the nerves.
- Take it easy : There is no situation that a positive mind and good preparation cannot cope with adequately. If you know that you will face a difficult situation soon, prepare well in advance and do not leave it until the last moment. Try to clear that last moment to relax with some slow breathing exercises, which can be quite effective.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Nerves in the stomach: causes, symptoms and remedies , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.