Did you wake up with a hangover? So you sure are wanting to relieve headaches, dizziness, and nausea, right? You should know that there are a series of remedies that help you alleviate the discomfort of excess alcohol, re-balancing your body and recovering the lost vitamins and minerals.
In this FastlyHealarticle we are going to discover the best home remedies for hangovers that will help you feel good again in no time. In addition, we are also going to indicate a series of tricks so that you can avoid the hangover another day in which the party lasts longer.
Why the hangover occurs
After ingesting alcohol, a series of residual substances called congeners accumulate in our body , which are composed, above all, of methanol, histamine, acetaldehyde and polygenols. As congeners decompose, they in turn generate other substances that are just as harmful to our body. These are the causes of the famous hangovers.
However, there are alcoholic beverages with a higher percentage of congeners than others. The ones that contain the greatest amount of these substances are the less distilled and darker colored beverages. Therefore, the spirits that generate the most hangovers are , in this order:
- Red wines
- White wine
However, mixing different alcoholic beverages has not been proven to cause major hangovers.
Effects of alcohol on men and women
Women are considered to be more prone to hangovers and it affects them more than men, since their liver breaks down alcohol residues much better.
On the other hand, as a general rule, men tend to drink more than women, and it has been shown that regular consumption of alcohol creates a certain tolerance to spirits because they increase the enzymes that metabolize congeners.
For its part, age is also an important factor when hangover occurs, since around the age of 20 the liver has more enzymes to break down alcohol, while after 30 these enzymes begin to be less effective. With which, it is not surprising that the more you grow, the less alcohol your body will tolerate .
What are the symptoms of a hangover
The hangover has very characteristic symptoms that are difficult to forget, which are:
- Muscle pains
- Redness in the eyes
- Burning eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Increased heartbeat
- Mood disorders
- Stomach ache
- Decreased sleep
- Decreased attention span
- REM (rapid eye movements) decline
- Soft spot
- Loss of appetite
- Increased body temperature
- Brain dullness
How long does the hangover last?
As a general rule, the hangover, as well as its intensity, usually lasts one or two days, depending on the person, age and the amount of alcohol consumed. According to some experts, on average the hangover lasts about 20 hours .
However, the dehydration caused by spirits can last much longer, so it is not surprising if after two days we are still very thirsty and other discomforts.
How to Relieve a Hangover Quickly
Having a hangover is not pleasant at all. In the future, you are sure to be a little more careful with excesses. What can you do to reduce the severity of the symptoms that we told you about earlier? Take note:
- Sleep all you can.
- Drink lots of water as it will become your best friend. Alcohol dehydrates.
- Take some vitamin C supplement. It reduces the alcohol content in the body.
- The intake (if you don’t have a bad body) of some raw almonds is highly recommended.
- Shower with hot and then cold water to regulate body temperature.
However, if you go to Amsterdam, you will find some small containers with water and mineral salts specially created for hangovers and, according to their manufacturers, it disappears in 5 minutes . Of course, at the moment they do not sell it anywhere else in the world.
How to get rid of a hangover with home remedies
There are some home remedies that are ideal to eliminate a hangover, like the ones we bring you below:
- Ginger tea : ginger is ideal for eliminating nausea or vomiting caused by alcohol, since it exerts a stimulus on the pancreas, increasing the production of digestive enzymes, thus reducing heaviness, discomfort and nausea. At FastlyHealwe discover the properties of ginger and its contraindications.
- Lemon with warm water : to clean our liver naturally there is nothing better than taking lemon. It is considered a liver tonic that restores the minerals that we have lost due to alcoholic beverages. Although this fruit has an acid flavor, it is an alkaline food that regulates the pH of our body, something ideal to improve hangovers.
- Mint Infusion : Mint is a perfect hangover plant because it protects the liver. It contains properties that get gas from the intestines to be eliminated and, therefore, tummy aches and discomfort are relieved. It also manages to relax the intestines, thus allowing the toxins accumulated with the intake of alcohol to be eliminated.
- Honey for hangovers : another of the best home remedies for hangovers is honey, since it contains fructose, that is, the natural sugar that our body loses when we drink excess alcohol. In addition, it is also rich in potassium, so it also balances our levels making us recover before general malaise.
If you feel a lot of nausea, at FastlyHealwe recommend that you first choose one of the remedies that we have indicated that will help you feel better and then eat some of the hangover foods that we discover below:
- Dairy : milk and its derivatives are one of the infallible foods to relieve hangovers. The reason is that they have a large amount of calcium and this reduces the gastritis caused by alcohol. In addition, it also contains cysteine, an amino acid that digests the traces that alcohol has left in our body. So a glass of milk, a yogurt or a piece of cheese is a great option to get rid of a hangover.
- Asparagus : the amino acids and minerals contained in asparagus protect liver cells against alcohol toxins and, therefore, reduce the effects of hangovers. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, so it works perfectly to ease digestion and make your tummy feel much better.
- Banana : as we have explained in previous sections, alcohol dehydrates our body. The reason is that it inhibits a hormone that is responsible for reserving fluids in our body. This causes the level of potassium in the blood to be reduced and, therefore, it is necessary to restore it through the intake of foods rich in this nutrient, and the banana is one of them.
- Tomato juice : tomato is rich in sugars, so it can prevent the drop in sugar that we always suffer when we have a hangover. In addition, thanks to its high water content, it also manages to rehydrate us. It is also rich in lycopene, an anti-inflammatory property that will relieve gas and make you feel much more relieved.
- Eggs – This is one of the best hangover foods because it contains cysteine, an amino acid that helps flush toxins out of the body. In addition, it is rich in multiple vitamins such as B2, B6, B12, etc., something that is perfect for us to recover from excesses and get to feel better in less time.
- Orange juice : citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, something that manages to better metabolize alcohol and eliminate it from the liver. Therefore, there is nothing better than getting up in the morning and having a freshly squeezed orange juice: it will do you great and, besides, your body will really appreciate it.
- Bacon sandwich : the amino acids in bacon can alleviate the effects of a hangover. Rich in protein, bacon manages to restore the amino acids that your body has lost during the party and if, in addition, you accompany it with bread, you are adding carbohydrates to your menu, ideal to regain energy and feel recovered. Mind you: this sandwich is high in calories!
- Chickpeas : one of the best vitamins for hangovers is B6, as it helps alcohol to be better metabolized by our body. In this sense, you should know that chickpeas are rich in this vitamin, so you will be able to eliminate the excesses from your body and feel better.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for hangovers , we recommend that you enter our Wellbeing category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.