Gout is a condition caused by the accumulation of uric acid in the blood. It is a type of arthritis that mainly affects the big toe; If not diagnosed and treated in time, it causes very intense pain, and can even cause kidney stones, gouty arthritis or accumulations in the kidneys that cause kidney failure. Natural remedies are a treatment option, both to help you eliminate toxins from the body and to relieve pain in the affected joint. At FastlyHealwe show you some home remedies for gout .
Causes of gout
The causes of gout are unknown, however it may be associated with high levels of uric acid in the blood or it may be hereditary. There are also risk factors, which increase the chances of suffering from this disease:
- The obesity.
- Have diabetes
- Consumption of medications such as diuretics, aspirin, and some vitamins.
- Having some type of anemia .
- Suffering from kidney disease.
- Leukemias or some type of cancer in the blood.
Joints that can be affected by gout
The joint mainly affected by a gout attack is the big toe, however the acute pain and swelling that this condition produces can influence other joints such as:
- The heels.
- The arch of the foot.
- The knees.
- The elbows.
- The fingers in the hand.
- The dolls.
The gout begins with a very intense pain that does not last more than 12 hours , if you have taken the treatment recommended by your doctor, the attacks without treatment usually appear for 48 hours. From the first gout attack, it could recur within the next 6 or 12 months.
Home remedies for external use
If you’ve already had gout attacks, try these remedies to relieve pain in the joint where it occurs.
- Hops : this plant has sedative properties that will relieve pain. In this case you should use the tincture of hops, which you can buy at the herbalist, dilute two drops in a glass of water and with a gauze or cotton apply it where you feel pain.
- Juniper oil : has antirheumatic and cleansing properties. Apply a few drops of the oil on the affected area and massage.
- Epson salts : it is composed of magnesium and sulfate, essential ingredients for the formation of proteins that constitute the joints. Fill a tub with hot water and dissolve two cups of these salts. Place your feet in the water until it cools down, you can repeat it three times a week or when you feel a lot of inflammation.
- Fern : it is very effective in treating joint pain. You can use it by boiling a bunch of fern in two liters of water and apply that infusion on the sore area with a cotton ball. Another way is by crushing the fresh leaves and wrapping them in gauze. Place it on the joint overnight.
Home remedies for internal use
Natural remedies are an option for the treatment of gout , since they will reduce uric acid in the body, helping to prevent this condition or reducing its effect. Some of the home remedies for gout are:
- Ginger : it is a natural pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. Prepare an infusion with a piece of peeled and cut ginger root. Drink it twice a day, you can also use the same infusion to place it as a compress.
- Artichoke : its potassium content allows the elimination of fluid from the body and its composition helps reduce purines in food. Cook 60 grams of dried artichoke root in a liter of water, let it reduce a little and drink two glasses a day. You can also prepare an infusion with a teaspoon of dried leaves for each cup of water and drink up to twice a day.
- Horsetail : stimulates urine production due to its diuretic effect, reducing swelling. One of its active principles is silicon, which helps tissue regeneration. Cook a tablespoon of dried plant in a liter of water for about 30 minutes. Drink a cup of infusion up to three times a day.
- Onion : it also provides a diuretic effect and reduces uric acid levels . In a liter of boiling water cook a peeled and cut onion for 5 minutes. Let it rest, strain it and drink three cups a day, you can add honey to reduce the flavor of the onion.
Healthy eating and habits
Food is a very important point when it comes to lowering uric acid, so we must take into account the foods that most favor this condition, in order to reduce the effects of gout. Here are some suggestions and healthy habits:
- Avoid being overweight, since it is one of the risk factors for suffering from gout, and you are more likely to develop other diseases such as diabetes .
- Drink plenty of water , not only is it a healthy habit, but it will also allow you to eliminate toxins that accumulate from food from your body.
- Include in your diet fruits such as strawberries, pineapple, grapes, blueberries and cherries, in addition to their contribution of vitamin C they have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Use olive or sunflower oil for cooking.
- Cut down on sauces and dressings.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Avoid eating foods like pastries, cold cuts, and vegetables like asparagus, mushrooms, and cauliflower.
If you want to know more about how to eat to lower uric acid, we recommend the article foods to lower uric acid
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for gout , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.