Bunions are a bulge in the external bone of the big toe, caused by different factors, such as genetics, sex, which is why it is usually more common in women who wear high-heeled and narrow shoes; age, especially at 40 when symptoms begin to appear; due to other podiatric problems such as flat feet or the use of inappropriate footwear. Although the treatment for bunions is very varied and will depend on how deformed the finger is, there are natural remedies and preventive measures that can help you improve this condition, you should also visit the podiatrist to make the diagnosis. At FastlyHealwe give you some home remedies for bunions .
Table of Contents
What are these home remedies for?
It is important that before knowing some home remedies for bunions , you know that these will not eliminate the deformation of the bone . It will be the podiatrist who will indicate the treatment that you should follow depending on the severity of it. Once the bunion is formed, we can take measures such as the use of splints and patches that will prevent it from getting worse , but in no way will home remedies eliminate this deformation.
The most common symptom of bunions is the inclination of the big toe, which is progressive, generating a bony protrusion in that area, other symptoms related to bunions are:
- Swelling of the joint
- Inclination of the big toe towards the other toes.
- Irritation to the skin around the edge of the finger.
- Difficulty and pain when trying to move the big toe.
Lavender oil is popular for its anti-inflammatory properties , it also acts as a sedative which will help reduce pain and help you relax. To treat bunions with lavender oil you must massage the area with the essential oil, you can also prepare it yourself, heating over low heat in a water bath, a teaspoon of dried lavender flowers and olive or almond oil. Strain it and store it in a glass jar with a tight lid. Apply it every night.
The composition of laurel gives it properties that will allow better blood circulation, reducing inflammation and relieving bunion pain. This home remedy is also ideal if you suffer from a rheumatic disease such as gout or arthritis, you can benefit from all these properties, both internally and externally.
This home remedy for bunions consists of applying 4 drops of bay leaf essential oil to the affected area, three times a day. Another way to take laurel is through an infusion, which you should prepare with some dry leaves and keep overnight, the next day strain it and drink it for three days in a row and rest for a week. Additionally, you can soak some bay leaves in alcohol for a week and apply to the bunion, after soaking your feet in warm water.
Taking foot baths with different herbs and elements that help reduce symptoms is another home remedy for bunions:
- Cook 50 grams of flax seeds , 30 grams of marshmallow and 50 grams of comfrey in 1 liter of water. Dip your feet when the water is warm. The astringent and anti-inflammatory properties of these plants will help you with redness and pain.
- Soak your feet for 20 minutes in warm water with epsom salts . This salt is composed of magnesium and produces a calming effect.
- Rue is another plant that you can use, as it will help reduce inflammation in the area. Prepare an infusion with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of dried rue, which you should add when the water is boiling. Wash your feet with this one
Tips to prevent bunions
Unless bunions have a genetic cause, there are ways to avoid them, here are some tips to prevent bunions :
- Avoid tight shoes or very high heels, a comfortable shoe will guarantee good support and you will feel more comfortable.
- Balance your weight, as bunions can get worse if you are overweight.
- Get calcium and vitamin A, C and D to strengthen your bones.
- In case you have flat feet, consult your podiatrist about the use of insoles to protect your feet.
- If you already have bunions, use a splint to correct the deformity.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for bunions , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.