Simple remedies or measures such as applying cold, resting, taking natural diuretics or the use of anti-inflammatory products and ingredients can be of great help in case of suffering the discomfort caused by the spillage of synovial fluid in the knee. This fluid is present in most joints of the body and is responsible for keeping the joint in question well lubricated, however, when an injury or trauma occurs in it, the production and absorption of this fluid in that area can be seen altered. Faced with increased production of synovial fluid in the knee and poor reabsorption of it, what is called joint effusion can occur and lead to knee swelling and other symptoms such as joint stiffness, tenderness and pain. It is important,
In this FastlyHealarticle, we are going to focus on the natural treatment of this condition by revealing which are the best home remedies for fluid spillage on the knee.
Table of Contents
Causes of Synovial Fluid Leak in the Knee
There are several causes that can cause the accumulation of synovial fluid to be excessive in the knee and, consequently, to produce the so-called joint effusion. Let’s see below in detail what are the most common causes of synovial fluid leakage in the knee:
- Blows or trauma to the knee: Any direct impact on the joint or twisting mechanism that injures internal structures of the knee can cause excessive fluid accumulation and lead to effusion. Some of the most common injuries of this type are sprains and meniscal injuries, such as a knee meniscus tear .
- Knee osteoarthritis: it is a degenerative rheumatic disease that occurs due to the wear of the cartilage of the joint and that causes symptoms such as pain, inflammation, stiffness and even deformation of the knee.
- Infections: Infections such as septic arthritis can also be the cause of a joint effusion in the knee. In this case, the knee becomes inflamed due to a bacterial or fungal infection and symptoms such as fever, joint swelling, inability to move the joint, severe pain, and redness occur.
- Gout or gouty arthritis : metabolic disease caused by an excessive accumulation of uric acid in the body, which leads to joint swelling and severe joint pain attacks.
- Reactive arthritis: This is a condition that causes arthritis, red eyes, and urinary tract problems. It can affect the knee joint causing swelling and pain.
- Osteoporosis : disease that affects the bones causing them to weaken and make them more susceptible to fractures and breaks.
How to know if I have fluid in my knee
The main symptoms of synovial fluid spill in the knee that can alert you that you suffer from this condition are the following:
- Swollen knee.
- Hot knee.
- Stiffness in the joint.
- Joint pain when flexing or extending the knee.
- Presence of bruises or bruises.
In addition to the above symptoms, there is an exercise that you can carry out to find out if you have a joint effusion in the knee. Take note of the following steps to get it right:
- Stand in front of a mirror. Then slowly sit on a chair and place the soles of your feet flat on the floor. From this position, see if one of your knees is swollen relative to the other.
- Then carefully and slowly lift the leg with the swollen knee, then lift the other leg. By doing this, you can quickly see the difference, as the swollen knee will cause you pain and therefore the movement will be slower.
- Press your fingers against the swollen knee. If there is a build-up of synovial fluid, you will see how your finger will be marked for a few seconds after you stop pressing.
Faced with these symptoms or the suspicion of having fluid in the knee, it is important that you consult a traumatologist to indicate the medical treatment to follow. The natural remedies and treatments that we show below can be a good complement to alleviate symptoms and discomfort, but in no case should they replace the treatments indicated by a specialist.
RICE method, home remedy to reduce fluid in the knee
One of the best home remedies for knee fluid spill is the so-called RICE method. This consists of the combination of rest, icing, compression, and elevation of the affected leg, and is excellent for reducing knee inflammation. To carry it out correctly, keep the following tips in mind:
- Rest and rest to prevent joint effusion from worsening and joint complications.
- Wrap an ice cube in a cloth or towel and apply it to the swollen knee for at least 20 minutes. After this time, take a 5-minute break and repeat the process. This treatment can be done several times a day if you need it.
- Compression should be done with a bandage, which will help reduce irrigation and reduce inflammation in the area.
- Finally, at the time of rest, keep your leg elevated to help lower blood pressure and thus help reduce inflammation and relieve discomfort.
Diuretic infusions to drain fluid from the knee
Natural diuretics can also be included in the natural treatment of synovial fluid spillage in the knee , since these have the property of helping to eliminate accumulated fluid more quickly from the body and therefore favor an earlier recovery . There are several very diuretic medicinal plants with which you can prepare infusions that help you eliminate fluid from the knee more quickly ; among them, we find the following:
- Green tea
- Horse tail
Apart from taking these medicinal plants as an infusion, you can also include in your daily diet the foods that we detail in the article What are the most diuretic foods .
Natural anti-inflammatories to relieve swollen knee
On the other hand, you can also take advantage of the properties of natural anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling of the affected knee and get greater relief. There are several ingredients or products that can help you, but some of the most effective are:
- Apple cider vinegar: massage the swollen knee with a little apple cider vinegar to reduce inflammation and reduce pain.
- Aloe vera: buy a pure aloe vera gel and apply a generous amount to the inflamed and sore area, massaging until the lotion is completely absorbed.
- Chamomile: it is anti-inflammatory and soothing. You can add a chamomile infusion to the bath water and take a relaxing bath or apply it directly to the knee with liquid as a poultice.
- Sage: prepare an infusion of sage and then, when it cools, soak a gauze in it and place it on the knee, leaving it to act for about 20 minutes.
On the other hand, you can also incorporate foods with anti-inflammatory properties into your diet such as green leafy vegetables, blueberries, tomatoes, cherries, papaya, oily fish, ginger, turmeric, soybeans, beets, garlic, onion, etc.
Drainage, excellent treatment for fluid in the knee
We finalize the list of natural remedies to remove fluid from the knee with lymphatic drainage. This is a therapeutic massage that is performed to stimulate lymphatic circulation in the area, helping to empty excess fluid and accumulated fat, as well as to eliminate toxins and waste that in the long term can compromise the health of the body. In the following article, you can see in more detail all the benefits of lymphatic drainage for health .
In this case and for best results, it is best to go to a professional therapist to perform several sessions of lymphatic drainage and to be able to drain the fluid from the knee naturally.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for fluid spill on the knee , we recommend that you enter our category of Bones, Joints and Muscles .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.