The knee is one of the most important joints in the body, it is located between the femur and the tibia, it is the part where the thigh meets the leg. It is one of the most injured during exercise or sports. There are many injuries to which the knee is exposed, therefore, it is very common to see patients with conditions in said joint as a result of trauma, blows that affect soft tissue, such as ligaments or tendons, or the bony part.
In the following FastlyHealarticle, we explain in detail how to heal a blow to the knee , showing what is the proper medical treatment and what natural remedies can be used to deflate the knee and relieve pain.
Causes of blows to the knee
Knee blows are sudden trauma caused by sudden flexion or extension, abnormal movement, or direct trauma to the knee that can be caused by a fall on the knee.
Each of these traumas can have the following consequences:
- Compression, damage to a nerve or a blood vessel during the blow.
- Sprains or strains of ligaments that are part of the knee joint.
- Ligament tears.
- Fractures, better known as bone breaks at the level of the patella, femur or the tibia and fibula.
Symptoms of a blow to the knee
The vast majority of knee injuries resulting from a blow or trauma give rise to the following symptoms:
- Pain in the knee.
- Loss of knee stability.
- Noises in the joint (clicking).
How to cure a blow to the knee: medical treatment
The treatment to heal a blow to the knee will depend on the severity of the injury that you present, the traumatologist will be in charge of evaluating the injury that you present and will indicate the therapy to follow, which may include the following:
- The first thing is to protect the soft parts of the knee, such as the ligaments and tendons, with rest, reducing physical activity until the symptoms of the injury improve.
- Ice should be applied through cold compresses. With this, it is possible to deflate the knee, in addition to avoiding the appearance of bruises.
- You must compress the affected area through the placement of bandages to reduce inflammation.
- The drugs required in the treatment of a blow to the knee will be analgesics and anti-inflammatories, such as Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, to relieve pain.
- In addition, the doctor will indicate physiotherapy according to the degree of knee injury. Through it, a series of rehabilitation exercises will be put into practice to strengthen the knee, thus achieving a gradual stretching of the muscles.
There are cases where after having implemented all of the above, symptom relief is not achieved and it is when knee surgery is used , it will be implemented in the following cases:
- If you have suffered a tear of the external lateral ligament.
- Damage to the anterior cruciate ligament.
- In those cases where reconstructive surgery is needed to replace a damaged ligament.
- If a patellar tendon tear occurs.
- In cases where meniscus injury occurs.
How to reduce inflammation of a blow to the knee with home remedies
Among the most effective home remedies for knee pain and inflammation we can mention the following:
- Arnica: Arnica has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and even antibacterial properties, it prevents the appearance of infections. It is used for bumps and bruises, it is an excellent option to prevent the appearance of bruises, inflammation and, in addition, it reduces pain. The leaves of this plant are boiled once the infusion is at room temperature, it can be placed on the site of the injury with moistened compresses and left on the knee for 30 minutes. This is repeated until the symptoms disappear.
- Clay and mango leaves: both have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, making them an excellent option to heal a blow to the knee naturally. You should take the leaves of the mango tree, crush them in a mortar to mix them with the clay until they become a paste. Then, it is applied to the affected area, leaving it to act until it dries, then, it is removed with plenty of water.
- Olive oil: it is a great anti-inflammatory, stimulates circulation and improves pain significantly. For its application, it must be heated a little to apply it to the knee with circular massages.
- Aloe vera: aloe vera gel has anti-inflammatory properties that will help reduce inflammation of the affected knee. This gel is extracted from the aloe leaf, the crystal inside it is liquefied and with it the gel is obtained, which you must apply to the knee. It is left to act for an hour to later remove it with plenty of water.
- Turmeric: it is known as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it is used to relieve pain in the knee. Turmeric can be applied at the level of the knee, after making an infusion, a compress is soaked and applied to the affected area as many times as necessary until the symptoms disappear.
In the following FastlyHealarticle, you can discover more home remedies for swollen knee .
The knee is a joint prone to many injuries, both in daily activity and in the practice of some exercise. For this reason, it is important to know the options that exist both at a medical and natural level to cure blows to the knee.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to heal a blow to the knee , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.