Tubal ligation is a very effective method of permanently preventing unwanted pregnancies. It is a method from which you can rarely go back. Therefore, knowing if you are a candidate or not to perform this procedure is very important when deciding. A frequent question is whether tubal ligation can make you gain weight.
That is why we made this article in FastlyHeal so that you can know if the tubal ligation makes you fat or not, how to lose weight by having a tubal ligation, and some tips that will help you decide whether to perform it or not.
Table of Contents
What is tubal ligation?
Tubal ligation is a permanent contraceptive method. It prevents unwanted pregnancies and has no turning back in the vast majority of cases.
The fallopian tubes are small tubes that carry the egg from the ovary to the uterus, and it is the place where fertilization usually occurs, that is, the union of the egg with the sperm. Tubal ligation is a surgical intervention in which, through small incisions, the lumen is narrowed, or the fallopian tubes are cut directly, and this is with two objectives:
- That the ovum does not travel to the uterus.
- That the sperm do not ascend through them.
It is a reasonably effective method since it is considered that it can fail (that is, a pregnancy can occur) in a few cases (about 0.4%), so the woman must be sure that she wants permanent sterility. In young women, it is not recommended mainly due to:
- Most likely change of partner, with new wishes to have children.
- More a possibility of method failure. It is more frequent that pregnancy can occur in them because the fallopian tube can again allow the passage of an egg.
- If pregnancy occurs, there is a greater risk that it is ectopic, that is, that the implantation is outside the uterus.
On the other hand, it does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Only the use of a condom does.
Do you get fat after a tubal ligation?
A latent fear in some women is the possibility of gaining weight if they have a tubal ligation. Let’s see if this is true or not.
Many scientific studies have studied the effects of tubal ligation on the female body, and it has been found that, in addition to sterilization, it can influence :
- Menstrual changes
- Less risk of ovarian cancer.
- Worsening of hot flashes in menopause.
- Increase in cholesterol and triglycerides in menopause.
- Possible alterations in the function of the ovary.
This last point, in particular, could have to do with weight gain in women who have undergone a tubal ligation since the ovary with its production of sex hormones is critical in managing a woman’s metabolism. But this is very controversial because the studies have different results. Some affirm that the ovary continues to function normally, while others confirm that there are changes in the hormones that it produces. Some claim that weight gain in women who underwent ligation, and other studies deny it.
Few and quite old studies confirm weight gain in women after a tubal ligation. Still, current studies demonstrate that the ovary works differently, but they do not indicate that it is related to obesity.
On the other hand, the studies that say that tubal ligation does not generate weight gain in women somewhat relate this to the woman’s lifestyle: those who smoke, do not perform physical exercise, and eat a diet that does not stay healthy are those that would gain weight, regardless of whether or not this type of sterilization is performed.
Therefore, with current evidence, it is unknown whether or not you can gain weight after a tubal ligation.
However, if it is known, and there are many scientific studies on the matter, that there are two main factors that cause obesity:
- Do not perform physical exercise.
- Large intake of unhealthy foods.
So if you are considering tubal ligation as an option to avoid unwanted pregnancies permanently, the most important thing is that you lead a healthy lifestyle :
- Drink water: leave drinks with sugar or sweeteners, alcohol, black tea, coffee. Choose fruit juices and, above all, water. Take it away from meals to hydrate appropriately.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables: they are the ones that will provide you with the vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy. Legumes, nuts, olive oil, and seeds are essential foods.
- Stop food toxins: dairy and flour are significant causes of inflammation and health problems. Meats, vegetable oils, and processed foods are harmful, especially when eaten daily.
- Get moving: if you want your body to stay in balance, you must do some exercise daily. At least 30 minutes of walking, dancing, swimming, or whatever makes you feel good is essential to losing weight.
- Get enough sleep: 8 hours of sleep are needed for the body to function appropriately. Less amount makes it work inefficiently.
Precautions before a tubal ligation
Do you want to know if tubal ligation is suitable for you? So, pay attention to the following recommendations:
- Tubal ligation is indicated in women who no longer want more children. Therefore, it is not recommended in young women, who are more likely to change partners.
- You may have more operative risks if you have had previous abdominal surgeries or suffer from diabetes or obesity.
- The procedure can fail, given the possibility of pregnancy, and although it is unlikely, young women are more prone—another point against using this method.
- Tubal ligation does not prevent sexually transmitted infections (such as AIDS or syphilis). Therefore you should continue to use a condom if you have different sexual partners. If you have a new partner, it is advisable to perform tests that rule out these diseases before you stop using a condom.
- You can perform this procedure during childbirth or cesarean section. Talk about it with your gynecology and obstetrics specialist.
- Pregnancy must be ruled out to perform the procedure.
- Surgery can reverse the tubal ligation effect, that is, to look for pregnancy again, but they are not usually effective, or they are in a small number of patients.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Does tubal ligation, make you fat? We recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.