Today, many women choose to use contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancies. The IUD is one of them. It is expected that once inserted, different questions arise about its operation, effectiveness, and other questions such as when it is advisable to resume sexual intercourse after its insertion.
That is why knowing more about this contraceptive method will generate greater confidence in its use, in addition to avoiding having an unplanned pregnancy. Keep reading this FastlyHealarticle to answer all your doubts and find the answer to the question: ” after putting the IUD in, when can I have intercourse? “.
How does the IUD work?
The primary function of the IUD is to prevent unwanted pregnancy, which it does by changing the way the sperm moves so that it cannot reach the egg.
There are hormonal and copper IUDs, below, we will briefly explain how both work:
- Hormonal IUD: It is also called progestin because it contains this hormone. This device is made of T-shaped plastic material. The substance in question is responsible for blocking the sperm from reaching the eggs. The durability of this IUD is 3 to 7 years, which will depend on the type of IUD you choose.
- Copper IUD: Like the previous one, this device has a T-shape. It is a plastic tube with a specific shape that remains inside the uterus. This IUD releases small amounts of copper, a material that fulfills the function of killing sperm. Since these are dead, there is no risk of pregnancy. The effectiveness of the copper IUD is 99%; however, it is good to keep in mind that no contraceptive method is 100% effective. Once placed in the uterus, this device has a durability of 10 to 12 years.
When can I have sex after putting in the IUD?
You can resume sexual intercourse depending on the type of device you have placed:
You can have sexual intercourse 24 hours after its placement. However, you must be careful since its operation begins seven days after being placed.
For this reason, you must use a parallel contraceptive method, such as pills, condoms, patches, or the ring, for those first seven days. Thus, you will not run the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.
If you insert this IUD, you can also have intercourse in the next 24 hours after having it inserted. It is important to note that this device starts working immediately after being inserted.
As you can see, each of these devices has its way of acting in addition to its durability, so you must talk to your gynecologist so that they can tell you which one best suits your needs and your body.
Can I get pregnant with the IUD?
This is another frequent question in women who use this device, especially during the first days of having it placed.
The chances of getting pregnant with this device are meager because its primary function is the interruption of fertilization. This is the preliminary phase for a pregnancy to occur. However, it is good to keep in mind that some circumstances can increase the risk of getting pregnant, such as:
- The device has not been correctly placed: When this happens, the IUD may not work correctly, leading to an unwanted pregnancy. In the following article, we will know if the IUD is correctly inserted.
- Expulsion of the IUD: This can occur due to inflammation of the uterus during the first month of its implantation.
You can get pregnant before IUD insertion, which can happen if you have unprotected intercourse days before insertion. The gynecologist, previously, will indicate an ultrasound to evaluate the conditions of the uterine cavity and evaluate if there is the possibility of pregnancy.
Advantages of the IUD
There are many advantages that the IUD has as a contraceptive method, the most notable of which are:
- It is a safe and highly effective method.
- It offers reversible contraception, as fertility is restored once the device is removed.
- It is an excellent option for women who have oral contraceptives contraindicated.
- Women during lactation or immediate postpartum are not at risk when using it.
- It can be used by women who are HIV positive or at risk of contracting the infection. There is the possibility of using it for prolonged periods depending on the material used.
- It is easy to insert and does not require further monitoring, only 3 or 6 weeks after placement.
- While you are using the IUD, you will not need another method of birth control.
- Women’s hormone levels are not affected after insertion.
- IUDs do not interact with any medications you are taking.
- It is an inexpensive contraceptive method.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any kind of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to After I put the IUD in, when can I have sex?, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.