The intrauterine device or IUD is one of the most popular contraceptive methods, having good effectiveness, a duration that can vary between 5 and 10 years, and the ability to keep us protected against unwanted pregnancies without the need to take a pill daily, and without its effectiveness being affected by specific medical treatments or stomach upset. But like any other method, it is critical to evaluate if this is the right solution for you. That is why at FastlyHealwe explains the effectiveness, advantages, and disadvantages of the IUD.
What is the effectiveness of the IUD?
The intrauterine device or IUD has an effectiveness of between 98 and 99%. Therefore, when using it, getting pregnant because it has moved is pretty low.
In the case of contraceptive pills, another popularly used method, as long as they are appropriately ingested and following the instructions on the leaflet in which, it is advisable to reinforce this method when we take any antibiotic treatment, we have severe diarrhea, or we forget a tablet, the same They are 99% effective, so the IUD is exceptionally well-positioned next to this option and without the risks involved in taking medications or stomach problems for its effectiveness.
Cases in which you should not use the IUD
As with many contraceptive methods, there are some cases in which the IUD is not recommended. This method is contraindicated if:
- You have a pelvic inflammatory disease.
- You have cancer of the uterus or cervical cancer.
- You have very bleeding fibroids.
- You have recently had a pelvic infection.
- You have a sexually transmitted disease.
- You have manifested vaginal bleeding, and you do not know the cause.
- You think you might be pregnant.
- In the case of copper devices, women with a sensitivity or allergy to this material will not be able to use it.
Advantages of the IUD
The advantages of the IUD as a contraceptive method are:
- After its placement, the intrauterine device will protect you against pregnancy for a period that can range from 5 years to 10 years without the need to remove the IUD at any time. When you want to get pregnant, you have to go to your gynecologist to remove it, and you can conceive without problems.
- It is easy to implant and removes.
- It can be used during lactation when implanted four weeks after delivery. It can also be inserted after an abortion.
- It is an inexpensive method of contraception due to its long duration.
- Being a hormonal method that works directly in the uterus, the intake of antibiotics or gastric problems will not affect its effect.
Disadvantages of the IUD
In addition to being contraindicated for certain women, the IUD has certain disadvantages that it is crucial to consider before choosing this method:
- To be implanted and extracted, you must visit your gynecologist.
- Gynecological checkups should be done once a year to ensure the IUD is properly inserted.
- Most IUDs produce periods with heavy bleeding and an increased propensity for menstrual pain and cramps.
- It can cause blood loss during menstrual periods, especially during the first few weeks of use.
- Like any other hormonal contraceptive method, the IUD will not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases, for which the use of a condom is essential.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to IUD: effectiveness, advantages, and disadvantages, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.