There is a lot of talk about different types of toxic relationships, whether with a partner, friends, or at work. This is a concept that, in recent years, has been gaining popularity, and it is good that it has come to light. However, it is also worth remembering that there are also children whose attitude is toxic, and many parents seem not to realize – or want to realize – it.
This is a tricky subject, and it should be detailed that children or young people have rebellious attitudes is expected. Their desire to explore the world and limits falls within their nature, but certain behaviors should not be tolerated and that you must know.
That is why in the following FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about the characteristics of toxic children and the solutions and ways to deal with this problem.
parents live under
We speak of toxic children when children’s attitude causes problems in the relationship with their parents when their actions damage that relationship. These children have tyrannical and authoritarian attitudes. Despite their young age, they become the leaders of the house, with demanding demands that parents are unable to cut.
Their attitudes can become violent, physically and psychologically, with very aggressive insults and responses. With broken objects, screams, bangs, and closed doors, life at home becomes hostile.
Parents live subject to the will of their children. They have lost any authority because the effect of fear has made its mark on them. Although it may seem complicated, some parents are afraid of their children, especially in adolescence when some verbal violence occurs.
Sometimes children exploit and attack you physically or verbally. Sometimes they are pleasant in public and only attack you in private. They want to control you.
Toxic daughter: self-centered behavior
Toxic children are self-centered people who overthink themselves and too little of other family members as if they have lost the ability to empathize. They do not listen because they only give weight to their point of view and their needs. When they want something, they want it now, without providing any value to the work effort that parents have to do to get the whole family forward.
To their most extreme degree, Toxic children become tyrants who impose their authority in the home. Toxic or tyrant children reject the rules both at home and at school because they want to do what they wish to at all times.
More characteristics of toxic children
Toxic children have a common denominator, and their behavior is very similar in all cases. In addition to what has already been discussed above, unhealthy children are:
- Authoritarian and despotic: they believe that their relatives or people who take care of them are their “butlers,” “cooks,” “cleaners,” and so on. Cut this servility relationship ASAP.
- Pastors don’t care about anything other than their friends, game consoles, or vices. Cut off access to it, either through money or a ban on doing so.
- Aggressive and irascible: in some cases, toxic children feel intensely and extensively attacked in their freedoms, becoming violent. In these cases, you must ask the authorities for help.
How to deal with a toxic child
These are some tips that we can give you to try to solve the situation with your child. Remember that a toxic child can be challenging to manage, and the sooner you take measures, the better for you and him:
- Some parents negotiate with their children as if they were friends when in reality, the father and son relationship could never repeat the friendship scheme in which two people relate as equals. In a parent-child relationship, there is a hierarchy of authority.
- Listening to the first signs of disobedience is essential to act on time and not think that the problem will solve itself.
- The most effective thing is to consult the case with a pedagogue who can give the parents guidelines on the specific way to act.
- Parents and grandparents must act as a team and support each other to be strong in decision-making and compliance with the rules.
- When dealing with a group of difficult teens, focus on the leader or person influencing your child. Another management technique is to separate the physically toxic boys or girls, change schools, classes, or anything else that separates the toxic relationship between your son and his reference.
- Allow them to help solve the problem. Many toxic children behave as they do because they do not believe adults listen. Phrases like “I’m here to listen if you want to talk, okay?” can be the gateway to learning about your child’s real concerns. Put yourself at their disposal to understand that you will be present there whenever they need it.
- Going to a psychologist can be a perfect way to find the origin of problems and solve them correctly.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Characteristics of toxic children – how to fix it, we recommend that you enter our category of Emotional balance.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.