Buscopan is an antispasmodic drug belonging to the group of so-called semisynthetic alkaloids of belladonna, quaternary ammonium compounds. Its active principle is hyoscine N-butylbromide, which is indicated to treat abdominal spasms and relieve the discomfort and pain that these originate.
For this reason, Buscopan is effective in curbing intestinal pain , since it acts on the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal, biliary and genitourinary tracts. In that sense, this drug is not an analgesic that masks pain, but works by working directly on the cause of that pain. In this FastlyHealarticle we explain what Buscopan is for and what its side effects are .
Table of Contents
What is Buscopan used for?
This drug is usually given by mouth in pill form. Being effective in calming muscle spasms and relieving pain in the digestive tract, bile ducts and uric ducts, as well as the genital tract, it is often prescribed for the following problems:
- Pains in the digestive system caused by the consumption of certain irritating foods, such as alcohol, caffeine or highly acidic fruits, among others.
- Menstruation-related aches and pains.
- Intestinal pain and nerves in the stomach caused by anxiety and excess stress.
- Discomfort caused by disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and other functional gastrointestinal disorders. Also as an adjunct in the treatment of peptic ulcers.
Contraindications of Buscopan
Despite being an over-the-counter drug, Buscopan should always be prescribed by a doctor and the dose should also be indicated by him, since self-medication can be dangerous. Here are some precautions to take into account:
- With regard to pregnancy, it has not been shown that Buscopan is harmful to the fetus. However, as a precaution, it is recommended not to prescribe it to pregnant women if it is not completely necessary.
- As for breastfeeding, it has been determined that this drug can inhibit the secretion of breast milk. Therefore, it is not recommended to be administered to women who are breastfeeding.
- Sucrose is in the composition of Buscopan, so it is contraindicated in people who suffer from malabsorption or intolerance to certain sugars , such as glucose, galactose or fructose.
- It is also not recommended in patients with narrow-angle glaucoma, intestinal or urinary obstructions, tachycardias, kidney and liver dysfunctions, megacolon, or myasthenia gravis.
Possible side effects of Buscopan
The adverse effects of Buscopan described do not always occur in all cases, however it is important to take them into account when starting treatment with this drug. The most common are:
- Immune system disorders: skin reactions such as itching, rashes and redness of the skin, hypersensitivity, allergic reactions with shortness of breath and anaphylactic shock.
- Cardiac disorders: tachycardia.
- Gastrointestinal disorders: dry mouth.
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders: impaired secretion of sweat (dyshidrosis).
- Renal and urinary disorders: difficulties urinating or urinary retention.
In general, allergic reactions to Buscopan are rare, but you should go to the emergency room if you experience itching, hives, nausea and vomiting, or difficulty breathing after taking the medicine.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Buscopan: what it is for and side effects , we recommend that you enter our Medication and medical tests category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.