Dogmatil is a drug that belongs to the group of antipsychotics or neuroleptics, specifically benzamides, and is administered orally in the form of white capsules containing 50 milligrams of sulpiride, its active ingredient.
This medicine works by blocking dopamine receptors in the brain, since when there is an excess of dopamine, these receptors are overstimulated and this generally translates into a psychotic disorder . At FastlyHealwe explain what dogmatil is for , in which cases it is indicated and in which cases its use is not suitable, so that you have all the information in reference to this medicine.
Table of Contents
Uses of Dogmatil
As we have mentioned previously, dogmatil is an antipsychotic and its use is recommended for the following alterations or pathologies:
- Depressive disorder with psychotic symptoms, it is always used together with antidepressants or when the single treatment with drugs for depression has not been effective.
- Vertigos , only if the usual treatment has not been useful.
- Acute and chronic psychosis, mental illnesses of a certain gravity that are characterized by an alteration in the personality and a disorder in the way of conceiving reality.
Contraindications of Dogmatil
Dogmatil should not be taken lightly and you should always consult your doctor or pharmacist before beginning to ingest it. You should also pay special attention in the following situations, since it is contraindicated and taking it is not recommended at all.
- Heart rhythm disorders, since sulpiride may increase the risk of heart rhythm disturbances.
- When there is a risk of having a stroke.
- In elderly people, since there is an increased risk of sedation, lowering of blood pressure or the appearance of uncontrollable repetitive movements known as dyskinesia.
- In children, due to a lack of research at an earlier age.
- In people who present some alteration in the kidneys, such as renal failure , since sometimes the dose must be readjusted.
- In people with epilepsy, because this group of antipsychotic drugs can promote epileptic seizures and seizures.
- In people taking antiparkinsonian medication.
- If fever of unknown origin and muscle stiffness appear after consumption, as the neuroleptic malignant syndrome could occur, a complication that can be fatal.
- In people with diabetes or at risk of diabetes.
- If there is a risk of thromboembolism or obstruction of a blood vessel by a thrombus.
Dogmatil: drug interactions
Whenever we are going to take any medication, we must ensure that there is no interaction with another medication that we are taking . In the event that there is any possible interaction, this would be less or more effective and may manifest with significant adverse effects. Therefore, before taking dogmatil, make sure that none of the following is on your list of usual drugs:
- Levodopa, a medicine to treat Parkinson’s .
- Quinidine, disopyramide, amiodarone, and sotalol, antiarrhythmic agents whose function is to regulate the rhythm of the heart.
- Cisapride, used in the treatment of gastrointestinal motility disorders.
- Thioridazine, used to alleviate psychiatric illnesses.
- Erythromycin and sparfloxacin, antibiotics to treat certain infections.
- Halofantrine, a medicine to fight malaria parasites.
- Pimozide, haloperidol, medicines to treat psychiatric disorders.
- Bepridil, a medicine used in angina pectoris
- Imipramine antidepressants
- Medicines that cause a decrease in potassium: some diuretics, laxatives, antibiotics and glucocorticoids.
- Medicines that slow the heart rate such as diltiazem and verapamil, clonidine or digitalis.
- Lithium salts, used to treat bipolar disorder and manic depressive disorder.
- Some antacids and ulcer-preventing medications such as sucralfate.
Adverse reactions of dogmatil
Although adverse reactions are not very common when swallowing dogmatil capsules, on rare occasions the following symptoms may appear:
- Hyperprolactinemia, which leads to an increase in the hormone prolactin in the blood and can lead to galactorrhea, with secretion of milk from the nipple when it is not time for breastfeeding.
- Insomnia or drowsiness.
- Parkinsonism with tremor.
- Increased liver enzymes.
- Red skin rashes.
- Chest pain.
- Weight gain.
It is important that treatment with this drug is always carried out under a medical prescription , strictly following the dosage and duration of consumption recommended by the specialist. Also, you should never voluntarily stop treatment, as the symptoms of the disease could reappear.
Dogmatil 50 is good for dizziness
As we have already explained, dogmatil is often used to treat people with depression who have psychotic symptoms or in those cases in which antidepressants no longer have an effect. However, Dogmatil 50 can also be prescribed in cases of vertigo , basically, when the most common treatments are no longer useful.
The administration will always be according to what the doctor who has prescribed it has said, in any case, the duration must always be limited. Similarly, it should not be stopped abruptly. Although there is an injectable version, generally, in cases of vertigo it is administered orally, with a dose that is usually between 3 and 6 capsules daily, that is, between 150 and 300 mg a day.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to What is dogmatil for , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.