Indeed, we have felt a burning in the throat at some point in our lives. It is a common annoyance that occurs for various reasons, ranging from the simplest, such as yelling or inhaling cigarette smoke during a party, to infections or more severe throat problems. In young children, it is prevalent, among other reasons, because they put everything in their mouths.
The burning in the throat is manifested mainly when swallowing, and as it worsens, it can cover the entire mucosa of the oral cavity. Many times it is a benign condition that can be treated at home. When it deteriorates and other symptoms accompany the burning, it is advisable to seek an expert’s opinion. If you want to know more about burning throat: causes and remedies, keep reading the following FastlyHealarticle, and we will explain it to you in-depth.
Burning in the throat: what is it due to?
In medical terms, a sore throat is called odynophagia and describes the pain felt in the throat when swallowing. Usually, this is because the throat is irritated or inflamed. It can be a mild condition, but it can also be so annoying that it hurts to swallow even your saliva and makes it impossible to eat anything.
Sore throat is a widespread condition that also has a seasonal component in some countries due to weather conditions or the presence of pollen and other elements in the air. It is estimated that about 10% of people suffer from a sore throat during a trimester.
The sore throat depending on its severity can include the tongue, the gums, the palate, the floor of the mouth, the inside of the cheeks, and the lips. This discomfort can appear suddenly or increase from mild pain. Also, it can alter the taste in your mouth and turn it metallic.
Burning throat: causes
A burning throat usually appears when it is irritated or inflamed :
- In 80% of cases, this burning is due to acute pharyngitis caused by a viral infection.
- Second, are bacterial infections like strep throat. In children between the ages of 5 and 15, this infection is widespread, causing 37% sore throats.
- Then on the list of common causes of sore throat are trauma and tumors.
Among the causes of sore throat is also:
- Gastroesophageal reflux, gastric acid rises from the stomach into the throat, irritating it and causing pain and even hoarseness.
- Dental conditions such as pericoronitis, stomatitis, and certain third molar surgeries.
- Infection with corynebacterium diphtheria, the germ that causes diphtheria, can also cause a sore throat.
This condition is also associated with other causes such as smoking or inhaling irritating and polluting products, such as smoke and specific chemical agents with strong odors. Some people, such as singers and teachers, among others who make particular use of their vocal cords, can also suffer from a burning throat due to its excessive use. In the above cases, the discomfort may be temporary, or it may develop and allow the installation of a bacterial infection.
Sore throat: remedies
When it is suspected that a sore throat is due to a bacterial infection, it is advisable to see a doctor and treat it immediately, as it is generally very contagious. This sore throat will be associated with other symptoms such as fever and general malaise. Bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics. The treatment must be completed following the doctor’s instructions to prevent bacteria from generating resistance to the antibiotic. In addition, poorly cured pharyngitis can have consequences such as ear infections, rheumatic fever, and even kidney problems.
As we mentioned earlier, sore throat has varied origins. In cases of viral infection, it will be enough to take pain relievers or anti-flu to lessen the symptoms while the condition disappears, which usually takes a few days. And as we also mentioned before, in cases of burning throat due to bacterial infections, it will be necessary to take antibiotics to fight these germs.
But, in general, before any sore throat, some home remedies and recommendations can help with irritation and inflammation. Between these:
- Hydrate yourself: it is essential to keep your throat moist as dryness irritates it. For this reason, it is recommended to drink a lot of fluids and eat things that stimulate salivation, such as candy or citrus fruits. In the case of children, the use of paddles and cold liquids is recommended.
- Gargling – Applying certain natural products can also relieve a sore throat. Thus, gargling water and salt several times a day can clean the area. Salt helps neutralize the acids in the throat and helps improve the irritation of the mucous membranes. Some natural blends like ginger, honey, and lemon are especially beneficial in relieving a sore throat. Singers widely use this concoction. Ginger powder is mixed with love, and lemon juice and warm water are added. It is used to gargle and has bactericidal power.
- Drink juices and infusions: Citrus fruit juices can be included in this category, such as lemon water, which in turn has astringent properties that help reduce inflammation and, due to its acidity, prevents the proliferation of viruses and bacteria.
- Covering your neck and keeping it warm: is another way of caring for the throat widely used by singers and classroom teachers. A simple scarf or scarf will keep your throat warm and help improve symptoms such as burning.
Many home remedies can help relieve a sore throat. However, when the sore throat becomes very severe, and there is no improvement as the days go by, it is time to go to the doctor. Suppose it is also accompanied by a high fever and the appearance of swollen glands. In that case, it is probably, as we said, a bacterial infection that must be treated as soon as possible with antibiotics.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Burning in the throat: causes and remedies, we recommend that you enter our category of Ear, nose, and throat.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.