One of the most frequent concerns that most expectant couples go through is a natural miscarriage. This is why, on many occasions, pregnancy can become a stage of stress and constant worry if you do not have the correct information or if you do not make the regular medical visits so that the specialist can guide the future parents and control every step of the pregnancy. Likewise, these consultations will allow the professional to ensure that the baby’s development occurs naturally and without problems.
While it is true that there are possibilities of spontaneous abortion, this is not the case during the nine months of gestation. Suppose you wonder when the risk of abortion decreases in pregnancy. In that case, we invite you to read the following FastlyHealarticle to answer this and other questions that a future mother may have.
Table of Contents
When the highest risk of miscarriage passes
Critical weeks of miscarriage
One of the most relevant data when asking yourself when the risk of abortion decreases in pregnancy is that 80% of cases of miscarriage occur before the 12th week of gestation and, although they do not offer 100% security, Taking some preventive measures into account can significantly help reduce the risk of this unwanted event.
These statistics are because during the first weeks that the woman is with her child within her, the division and implantation of the fertilized ovum take place, and the first vital structures and organs of the expected child are created. During this stage, the embryo is very susceptible, and for this reason, it is the time when there is the most significant risk of a natural abortion.
When the risk of miscarriage decreases
Although the causes of a miscarriage cannot always be determined, it is frequently due to the health of the mother and some characteristics of it. However, it can also be related to the formation of the fetus. That is why most causes can be prevented or controlled, significantly reducing the risk of miscarriage.
On the other hand, as the state of the pregnancy progresses and the first trimester passes, the occurrence of a natural abortion is sporadic, and in these cases, it could be related to solid trauma, the baby having greater weight than the anchorage can support or you have multiple pregnancies. Thus, we can say that once the first trimester has passed, the risk of miscarriage in pregnancy decreases.
Symptoms of abortion
The threat of miscarriage occurs with the appearance of specific symptoms, which are presented with two signs that great attention must be paid:
- The first sign is bleeding during the first 20 weeks of gestation. Although some pregnant women have bleeding and do not miscarry, this symptom can cause the woman to have a natural miscarriage. For this reason, you must consult a specialist, especially if you present this symptom.
- The second sign is abdominal pain and cramps. If you find yourself expecting a child and have abdominal pain or cramps, it may be a miscarriage, even if there is no significant bleeding. Although other causes cause these ailments during pregnancy, it is essential not to take them lightly and go to the specialist to rule out a problem in the development of the fetus. In the following FastlyHealarticle, we will discuss the possible causes of belly pain in pregnancy.
Risk of abortion: what causes it
Unwanted abortion in pregnancy can occur to any woman. However, the risk increases significantly when over 40 years of age because the fetus is more likely to suffer malformations or if the future mother has already gone through episodes of miscarriage.
Other factors can increase the threat of suffering a miscarriage, among them are:
- The polycystic ovaries.
- Alterations or malformations in the uterus.
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
- Bad habits such as smoking, using drugs, or alcohol.
- Exposure to various chemicals.
How to prevent an abortion
While miscarriages cannot be prevented, there are some tips to help you avoid experiencing this unwanted event as much as possible. Among these tips, we find:
- Get prior checks before trying to conceive a child.
- Visit the doctor regularly during pregnancy.
- Make rest and rest, mainly when the doctor indicates it.
- Take care of feeding during the development of the fetus.
- Avoid any drug that the specialist does not authorize to consume.
- Increase folic acid in the diet.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to When the risk of abortion decreases in pregnancy, we recommend that you enter our category of the Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.