The condom is one of the most widely used contraceptive methods. It is the only one capable of protecting us against sexually transmitted diseases, so its use is highly recommended, especially in casual sexual encounters.
Many couples choose this method when preventing unwanted pregnancies, as its effectiveness is between 86 and 98% depending on whether it is used properly. Although no way is 100% effective, the condom is considered one of the safest alternatives; however, handling it appropriately and ensuring that it is in good condition is essential for its correct use.
Due to improper handling, the latex breaks, which puts the couple on alert. Do you know what to do if a condom breaks? At FastlyHealwe explain in detail how to act.
What are the risks we run if the condom breaks?
In the middle of a sexual relationship, one of the most stressful conditions we can face is the breakage of a condom. Still, before becoming alarmed, it is essential to calmly think about the actual or potential risks that we are taking so as not to be senseless. The condom is used to avoid unwanted pregnancies and protect ourselves from STDs; therefore, if it breaks, we run both risks depending on the scenario in which we find ourselves.
It is important to remember that once there is an unprotected fluid exchange, we are exposed to both scenarios. If the condom breaks but the man has not yet ejaculated, we will also be told to precum, which contains a small portion of sperm and infections, if any; therefore, we must also calculate the risks.
- If both or one of the two is promiscuous, there is a risk of contagion of a sexually transmitted disease when the latex breaks. On the other hand, if you are both sure that you do not have any STDs and are monogamous, you can eliminate this risk. It is essential to clarify that the only way to know that we do not have any STDs is to carry out the relevant health tests to rule them out, such as specialized blood tests, tests such as cytology in women, and urological examinations in men, etc.
- If the woman is in her fertile days or very close to ovulation, there could also be a risk of pregnancy. If you are not ovulating or near this date, the breakage is not a real risk.
When the condom breaks, each couple should calmly assess the real risks of the event and act accordingly.
What to do if the condom breaks to prevent pregnancy?
If the woman is in her fertile days or on a date close to them, then it is essential to stop sexual intercourse immediately and resort to an emergency protection method. Wash the vaginal area with soap and water to remove possible semen remains and go to a pharmacy.
The morning-after pill is the method indicated in these cases; it should be ingested as soon as possible, preferably during the first 12 hours after the meeting, to guarantee its maximum effectiveness. This pill has an efficiency of between 75 and 89%; it helps to prevent ovulation so that the oocyte is not fertilized, and it makes the cervical mucus thicker to prevent the passage of sperm if the ovum has already been detached from the ovaries and prevents the implantation of the ovum if it has been fertilized.
Despite this, this pill is not abortifacient, so if the ovum is fixed in the uterus, it will not be able to act, so it is essential to ingest it as soon as possible to run the least risk.
What to do if the condom breaks to avoid an STD?
If it is a casual sex encounter or someone in the relationship is promiscuous, then a broken condom may represent a more severe health problem. The first thing to do is stop sexual intercourse and wash the genital area thoroughly with soap and warm water without too much intensity or care.
Subsequently, they must go to a health care center within a maximum period of 48 hours and explain that they have been exposed to a possibly risky sexual relationship here; the specialist will decide which indicated tests to be performed and the most appropriate treatment. Currently, there is a treatment that people exposed to HIV are subjected to, consisting of administering antiretrovirals for the 72 hours following possible contact with the virus.
Subsequently, the test to detect HIV should be carried out three months after the risk relationship; it is essential to wait this time for a reliable result. The test can be repeated after another three months.
How to keep condoms from breaking
Now that you know what to do if the condom breaks, you must understand why condoms break and how to avoid it.
If you always want to have safe sex, it is essential that:
- Pay attention to the friction generated during sex. Encounters that are too intense or without proper lubrication can cause the sensitive latex to give way eventually. It is also essential that you always use a lubricant if you practice anal sex. Otherwise, the risk of breaking the condom is very high.
- Always check the expiration date of the condom before using it; if it is expired, do not use it because there is a high risk that it will fail.
- Never leave the condom in your purse or exposed to a scorching place, such as the glove compartment of the car. Constant heat can damage latex and make it more brittle and less reliable.
- Always open the condom very carefully and without using your teeth. This is perhaps one of the most common causes of breakage; the rush to complete the act can cause us to use violence to open the package, which can cause the latex to end up being damaged.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to What to do if a condom breaks , we recommend that you enter our Sexuality category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.