The testosterone is the hormone most important male, because among its highlights functions that is responsible for maintaining sexual desire, is involved in the growth of pubic hair and facial hair, acting on sperm production and is vital to the health of muscles and bones of man. Testosterone deficiency is more common than you think. It is a condition that is not considered a disease and that can be treated effectively to avoid the negative effects that it can bring to the male sex.
In men, sex and testosterone go hand in hand, that is, when testosterone levels are normal, the man can respond sexually in a normal way, however, when there is an alteration in the levels of this hormone it is also altered male sexual function. Low testosterone is treated by an endocrinologist, a doctor responsible for studying hormones in the human body. In this FastlyHealarticle we will explain the causes and symptoms of low testosterone .
Functions of testosterone in the body
Although it is believed that testosterone is an exclusively male hormone, it should be clarified that just as it is produced in the male testicles, it is also produced in the female ovaries , only in very little quantity. For this reason, testosterone is considered a very important male hormone that intervenes in different processes in the body of men. Let’s know the main functions of testosterone in the body :
- It is responsible for the growth of facial, body and pubic hair.
- It influences the formation of body mass and muscles.
- It is involved in the production of sperm.
- It is what makes it possible for a man to maintain an erection.
- It is responsible for male bone strength.
- Regulates the sexual appetite.
Symptoms of low testosterone
Loss of sex drive
It is the first symptom that men who suffer from a testosterone deficiency notice. As this hormone is responsible for male sexual appetite, its low levels in the body can cause a man to see an erection compromised, either because it is impossible for him to have or maintain it. Of course, it is necessary to make it clear that not all men who have problems with erections have a lack of control with testosterone. In addition, there are some home remedies to stimulate sexual desire that can be effective in some cases.
Body hair loss
As testosterone is responsible for stimulating the growth of body and pubic hair, when there is a deficiency of this hormone, men begin to experience loss of body hair, especially the beard. When testosterone levels are very low, even all pubic hair can be lost and alterations in the dermis such as spots or eruptions can appear.
Loss of muscle mass
The muscles of the body can be affected by low testosterone as they lose the muscle mass that surrounds them, which can weaken the muscles and decrease strength. One of the most important reasons to treat low levels of this hormone is to prevent excessive muscle weakness that can wreak havoc on people’s quality of life.
The erectile dysfunction is male inability to maintain an erection prolonged, and one of the reasons why this may happen as it is precisely the low testosterone levels. Fortunately, when the man begins to be treated, he will be able to regain his sexual capacity.
Low testosterone also damages the health of the bones in the body, which is why another common symptom of this condition is muscle aches due to loss of bone density. Fractures and osteoporosis are more common in men with low testosterone. In this article we recommend some natural muscle relaxants that can help relieve pain.
- Enlargement of the mammary glands.
- Reduction of the size of the testicles.
- Weight gain.
- Decrease in sperm production.
Causes of low testosterone
- Hypogonadism It is a condition in which the body does not secrete almost any sex hormones. Usually this occurs due to a genetic disorder, autoimmune disease, surgery, radiation exposure, kidney or liver disease, and infections.
- There is a relationship that associates being overweight with people who have low testosterone.
- Testicular injuries.
- Diseases such as diabetes.
- HIV infection.
- Aging, as testosterone levels tend to decline with age.
Low testosterone treatment
The most common way to treat low testosterone is to dose this hormone to make up for its deficit. The amount of hormone to be supplied and the length of time that the person must remain in treatment will depend on the cause that is causing the low levels of testosterone in men. Testosterone therapy can be carried out as follows:
- Through a gel . A gel containing testosterone is applied to the shoulders, arms, and abdomen to be absorbed through the skin.
- Patch . a testosterone patch is applied daily to the scrotum or other parts of the body.
- Testosterone injections . They are applied every two to three weeks.
Testosterone therapy can present a considerable increase in the levels of this hormone that may suggest some side effects such as an excessive increase in the production of red blood cells, acne, sleep apnea , fluid retention, oily skin, decreased blood pressure. good cholesterol.
Tips to treat low testosterone naturally
- Loses weight . Being overweight is directly related to the decrease in the levels of this hormone. If you are overweight, consider dieting to improve your health and avoid symptoms of low testosterone.
- Fight stress . Many times stress is responsible for all our ills. Among the consequences of stress is the increase in the hormone cortisol, which can negatively interfere with testosterone levels.
- Foods to raise testosterone . Unsaturated fats, such as avocado, salmon, and olive oil, have been proven to; as well as saturated fats, such as meats and dairy; help increase testosterone levels naturally.
- Moderate the consumption of sugar and reduce the intake of alcoholic beverages and tobacco also helps to normalize low levels of testosterone in the body. Sugar increases insulin levels, a hormone that reduces the amount of testosterone in the body, while tobacco and alcohol contaminate the body with toxins that prevent the increase of this hormone.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Low Testosterone: Causes and Symptoms , we recommend that you enter our Endocrine System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.