A nose problem can be very annoying. This area of the body is not given much importance, except when it bothers: if it is covered, if there are secretions, if it hurts …, that is when you understand the importance of its proper functioning on a day-to-day basis.
There can be many different causes that generate pain inside the nose, some straightforward and others very complicated. The truth is that all reasons can have their solution. That as long as the right thing is done. Do you want to know what is causing your nose pain inside, how to relieve it, and what home remedies you can use? So, pay attention to this FastlyHealarticle, where you will find all the information you need.
Causes of inside nose pain
There are several reasons why the nose can hurt inside. Among them are:
In the case of a sinus infection, pain in the nose can appear, and, depending on the affected sinus, the head, face, and even teeth can also hurt. In addition, there is yellow or greenish mucus, a stuffy nose, loss of the sense of smell, and coughing, among others.
Pimple on the nose
A small pimple may be about to come out on the nose. Sometimes, that inflammation starts inwards without showing anything from the outside. The pain is well localized to a point in the nose, usually near the nostrils. The following article explains how to remove pimples on the nose.
If you have had or are suffering from a cold, mucus and cleaning your nose so much can cause your nose to become irritated and then infected. In this case, you may feel significant pain inside the nose, which worsens when touched. You may notice that crusts from inside and that when you remove them, they have a yellowish material stuck that may even have a bad smell.
Maxillary odontogenic cyst
It is a small benign tumor from a dental structure that is in contact with the maxillary sinus. It can hurt when it becomes infected or grows into the surroundings. Its growth is usually prolonged and does not cause significant problems.
Rhinosinusal pressure trauma
If the pain occurred during a poorly pressurized flight or deep-sea immersion (scuba), the nasal pain might be caused by poor pressure compensation. This can happen in people who have frequent problems like colds or bad breath. In addition to the acute pain in the nose and the nearby areas (cheekbone, head), minor abundant nasal bleeding usually appears. It is sporadic, but it can happen.
Foreign body in the nose
Sometimes, in children, pain can appear inside the nose because an object has been placed inside it that should not be there (it is common to find peanuts, small toys, pearls, among others).
It is scarce, but one of the first symptoms of a nasal tumor may be a pain. Usually, only one side of the nose feels stuffy, and there may be bleeding, weight loss, and headaches.
How to relieve a sore nose on the inside
As seen in the previous section, the causes of pain inside the nose can be many and wildly different, so the treatments to relieve it are also different. In general, it will help you improve:
- Consult your family doctor: you must go to the consultation of a professional there. They will ask you questions to determine how the problem started when you feel more discomfort if the pain is accompanied by other symptoms (bleeding, loss of smell, headache, stuffy nose). They will then review you and may order some tests or refer you to the ENT specialist if necessary.
- Do not try to put anything in the nose: if you are in pain and you try to put swabs or some other element in the nose, you can cause damage.
- Pain relievers: your doctor may prescribe pain relievers/anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen (paracetamol), diclofenac. This medication can have side effects and cannot be taken indiscriminately, but it can be a temporary relief.
- If it is rhinosinusitis, your doctor may order nasal washes with physiological solution, spray with anti-inflammatory medication, and even antibiotics.
- Do not touch your nose, only clean it externally if it is vestibulitis. Go to a health center, where they may indicate an ointment with antibiotics for mucous membranes (which is usually different from the one used externally on the skin).
- In case of a pimple on the nose, you should wait a couple of days until it appears; probably, at that time, it will stop hurting. You can help by applying warm compresses to the area. Try not to press or touch the room not to get infected.
- Another dangerous situation is the presence of a foreign body in the nose; this must be taken out of it urgently since it can be aspirated and pass into the lungs, which can be very serious. The extraction of the foreign body should be carried out, if possible, by a professional since the nose is a delicate structure.
- In the rest of the cases: cysts, pressure injuries, or tumors, it is essential that you be evaluated by an ENT specialist since, depending on the subject, one treatment or another will be necessary.
Home remedies to relieve a sore nose from the inside
To relieve a sore nose inside, you can resort to the following measures and home remedies:
- Keep your nose clean: you can clean your nose using the physiological solution, saltwater, or seawater. It is very effective in almost any process inside the nose since keeping it free of mucus can help prevent infections. If air is blowing, healing is more likely to be faster. In the following article, you can see How to do a nasal wash.
- Improve your diet: Any diseases that cause pain inside the nose can improve if you eat healthier. Increase the consumption of raw fruits and vegetables, legumes, seeds, and nuts. Leave out toxic foods, such as dairy, refined flour, sugar, meat, and processed foods.
- Drink water: leave out cola and sugary drinks.
- Stop Smoking – Cigarettes are a terrible pollutant. The nose and the rest of the body will improve significantly if you stop this terrible habit. At first, more mucus may appear. It is because your body tries to clean all the toxins you put in.
- If you suffer from rhinosinusitis, you can breathe in the vapor of infusions with eucalyptus. It is anti-inflammatory and favors the elimination of mucus.
- Drinking eucalyptus infusions is also beneficial. The entire airway is decongested with this herb. Place 15 grams of leaves in 1 liter of boiled water and let it rest. You can drink 3 or 4 cups a day.
- Ginger tea can be a great ally. Reducing inflammation can improve your disease. Boil a couple of slices in water for 10 minutes and then let it sit for another 10 minutes. You can drink up to 3 cups a day.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Inside Nose Pain: Causes and How to Relieve It, we recommend that you enter our Ear, Nose, and Throat category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.