Cough is a reflex condition of our body that aims to clear the throat and airways that are obstructed by some element. It can start suddenly and depending on its severity it can last for a short time, usually days or weeks. The cough, under certain circumstances, can become more pronounced, such as when you lie down. This problem is very common in a large number of people, getting you to wake up and prevent you from having adequate rest. The factors that trigger this condition can be many, so it is important to know their reasons, and it is because of this ignorance that in the following FastlyHealarticle we will talk about the most common reasons why when I lie down I cough more .
Why when I lie down I cough more
A person coughs as a reflex to be able to expel, through an air pressure, the phlegm or mucus contained within the respiratory tract and with this improve the passage of air that was obstructed.
It is very common that during the night, when resting, nasal congestion increases due to an accumulation of mucus , which is deposited in the larynx and produces irritation, specifically in the back of the throat, generating coughing. It is likely that at this time, when you cough, you will expel some of the accumulated content in the area.
This condition can appear through a number of conditions that trigger nighttime coughs :
- An example of it can be asthma , which is a pathology that affects the airways, causing a narrowing of them due to inflammation, which does not allow the normal passage of air and therefore, the person coughs more .
- Another possible serious cause of a viral infection , an example of which could be a simple cold or flu, caused by viruses that have penetrated the body. These conditions produce a cough, which increases when you lie down and is due to the same congestion due to the presence of mucus.
- In addition, sinusitis can also cause an increase in coughing when you lie down. This is due to the fact that the paranasal sinuses are inflamed as a result of an infection, which produces an irritation, especially in the throat and that at the moment of wanting to sleep it produces this sensation.
- The lung infection makes you more likely to have cough when you lie, for example, a person with bronchitis or pneumonia . Both conditions produce an obstruction in the air passage, making it difficult to enter or leave it, which is why it promotes an increase in pressure in the area, generating coughing, especially when sleeping.
- People with allergic conditions also exacerbate increased coughing while sleeping. The cough arises as a consequence of the allergic reaction, as our immune system is trying to deal with the foreign agent.
- Certain medications have the side effects of producing a cough at night, especially some drugs to control hypertension generate bronchospasm and produce a cough as a symptom.
- Some environmental factors such as tobacco consumption, produces a cough at night and occurs as a response of our body, in wanting to produce more mucus to counteract the amount of smoke in the body.
Tips to avoid coughing when lying down
After a long day at work or on the streets, probably what you want to do the most is get home to rest. But if once you get to the sofa and lie down, the cough appears and it is very annoying, it is recommended that you take into account the following tips :
- Sleep on your side.
- Gargle with hot water with a hint of lemon or honey.
- Take a shower with a hot bath.
- Keep your room clean, free of dust.
- Hydrate adjuvants.
- Don’t sleep in a very humid room.
- Add more pillows.
- Avoid smoking.
Treatment for cough when sleeping
Many specialists recommend that you take a series of syrups with antiallergic components , for example those that contain codeine or cloperastine, before going to sleep , as it has an effect on nighttime coughs. Other actions that you can carry out are:
- You can wash the irritated area before sleeping with substances based on sea salt or serum , with the intention of improving the flow of mucus that is accumulated in the area.
- In some cases, anti- inflammatory drugs or corticosteroids should be administered , especially in those pathologies that cause swelling of the airways, in this way an adequate passage of the obstructed air will be achieved.
- If the nocturnal cough is a product of medications, you should consult with your treating physician to consider the consumption of that drug and whether it warrants its change or not.
- Similarly, if the cough is accompanied by another symptom such as fever, the option of an infectious process must be ruled out , because if so, other drugs such as antibiotics will be required to control the problem, for this you must attend the doctor .
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why when I lie down I cough more , we recommend that you enter our Ear, Nose and Throat category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.