To know the quality of the sperm, the man must undergo a seminal analysis known as a spermiogram or seminogram . This study is carried out in the same clinic after having been in abstinence for a minimum of 1 day and a maximum of 7 days, and a sample of the ejaculated semen is taken by masturbation.
It is the main test indicated by the specialist to evaluate male fertility, being ideal to help determine problems in the concentration and quality of sex cells. Likewise, it is possible that it is recommended to diagnose other alterations in the urogenital system and when the result determines that there is a low seminal quality, it is normal for the patient to worry if this could harm him if he soon wants to have children. In any case, if you are wondering how to improve sperm quality , we invite you to read the following FastlyHealarticle in which this information is offered and about other related topics.
Table of Contents
Causes of male infertility
When you are looking for pregnancy and you cannot conceive, it is necessary to go to the specialist for the necessary tests to determine if there is an infertility problem, since according to the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Eunice Kennedy Shriver (NICHD)  , between 30 and 40% of cases are due to male infertility.
In addition, the NICHD states that there are numerous causes for which this condition can occur and that they need to be evaluated by a professional. Some of the most common causes of male infertility are:
- Exposure to chemical materials, such as lead, cadmium, mercury, radioactivity, and X-rays.
- Some pathologies such as varicocele , mumps after puberty, prostatitis and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Congenital malformations in the genitourinary system, including undescended testicles, incorrect location of the urethral orifice, absence of the vas deferens, and very pronounced curvature of the penis.
- Suffering from chronic erectile dysfunction .
- Ejaculatory disorders, such as very fast, delayed ejaculation, retrograde or absent ejaculation .
However, many times the inability to conceive is not related to a serious problem such as those mentioned above, but to an alteration in the quality of the sperm by external factors and that can be corrected, therefore, the importance of undergoing a study and follow the doctor’s instructions.
How do I know what the quality of my sperm is?
To measure the quality of sperm, the World Health Organization (WHO)  has established certain parameters and normal values of the same that can be analyzed in a semen sample through a spermiogram. Low-quality sperm are those that do not reach the minimum values of these parameters, the main ones being:
- Volume of ejaculated semen: the approximate value should be 1.5 ml, so if it is below this it is considered hypospermia .
- Number of sperm: the normal value for a milliliter of semen is 15 million sperm, while the number of these in the entire sample must be a minimum of approximately 39 million. A sperm concentration below these amounts is called oligozoospermia.
- Sperm motility: it is the ability of sex cells to move and move, being of good quality if 32% have this ability. A value lower than this is known as asthenozoospermia.
- Vitality: the number of live sperm must be greater than 58% of the sample, otherwise it is necrozoospermia.
- Morphology: if less than 4% of the sperm have a normal shape, it is known as teratozoospermia.
How to improve sperm quality to conceive
It is common for men who want to have children in the future wondering how to improve the quality of their sperm, regardless of whether the specialist has indicated low sperm quality due to the results obtained in the spermiogram. In many cases, it is possible to improve the quality of the sperm without undergoing specific treatments, although it is important to assess that it is not due to a major alteration.
According to the journal Assisted Reproduction ORG  , the main factors that can influence and improve sperm quality considerably are:
Vitamins and foods to improve sperm quality
Change the usual diet including those foods rich in folic acid, zinc, selenium, iodine and vitamins E, A and C, since these nutrients are part of the composition and action of the hormones involved in the production of sperm, in addition to being part of seminal fluids, whose function is to help the sex cells to fertilize the ovum.
These nutrients are found in various fruits and vegetables, virgin olive or wheat germ oil, nuts, and legumes, while zinc is best found in animal-based foods such as fish and shellfish, eggs, and dairy.
Get regular exercise
Exercising regularly encourages increased sperm production. Although it has not been specifically determined, according to a study carried out by students and researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health  , it is considered that constant physical activity stimulates more the secretion of antioxidant enzymes that prevent damage to sperm cells . Also this activity improves the mental and emotional state that can be detrimental to the development of the sexual cells.
Having frequent ejaculations
Although it is not known with certainty why it occurs, a study carried out by the Institut Marquès  , specialized in gynecology, obstetrics and assisted reproduction, found that men who had more ejaculations had better semen quality and that the same it increased in proportion to the number of ejaculations. Whereas there is a greater stimulus in the formation of sex cells and seminal fluid.
Medications to improve sperm
If the doctor considers it necessary, he could indicate a treatment with hormonal medications that help to increase the number of spermatozoa or if this alteration is due to a nutritional deficiency, he may recommend the intake of supplements of vitamins, minerals, polyunsaturated fatty acids, among others. It is important not to self-medicate or abuse these, as it could be harmful to health without proper medical supervision.
Factors that harm sperm quality
Some habits or frequent situations can negatively affect the characteristics of the sperm and even other important parameters in the semen such as pH, which can be reflected in not being able to achieve the pregnancy you are looking for. The quality of the sperm could be altered by the following conditions:
- Wear clothing that is tight in the crotch.
- Sitting for a long time.
- Eating foods rich in bad fats or sugars and highly industrialized products.
- Consuming alcohol constantly and in high amounts mainly affects the number and mobility of sperm.
- Exposing the genital area to high temperatures continuously, so it is not recommended to place the laptop on this area. This heat increases the normal temperature in the scrotum, which is necessary for the production of sperm.
- Suffer from a fever
- Having episodes of stress, anxiety, or nervousness. These states can alter the hormonal system, including the hormones involved in the formation of sperm.
- Consume certain medications, especially antibiotics, drugs for hypertension and anabolic steroids, many times used to increase muscle mass.
- Being obese and leading a sedentary life.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to improve sperm quality , we recommend that you enter our category of Male reproductive system .
- Instituto Nacional de la Salud Infantil y Desarrollo Humano Eunice Kennedy Shriver. Disponible en: https://www1.nichd.nih.gov/espanol/salud/temas/infertility/informacion/Pages/causas-hombres.aspx
- Organización Mundial de la Salud (OMS). Who laboratory manual for the Examination and processing of human semen. Disponible en: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/44261/9789241547789_eng.pdf?sequence=1
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.