Genital candidiasis is a common disease. Although it is said that it is more frequent in women than in men, something that is true, the reality is that the latter also suffer from it. This is something that happens especially among those men who are not circumcised.
This disease is caused by a fungus that lives naturally in the body, specifically in moist areas like the skin, mouth, or genitals. In most cases, it does not cause problems, and it should be noted that many men have it and are asymptomatic.
The human body has to present certain conditions for the disease to start and the symptoms of candidiasis to surface. In this FastlyHealarticle, you will learn what male genital candidiasis is: symptoms and treatment.
What is a male genital yeast infection?
It is an infection by a fungus called Candida albicans that affects the genitals; in men, specifically the head of the penis (the glans) and the foreskin.
This alteration in the penis is known as balanitis, and it consists of inflammation of the foreskin and glans. In addition to this area, lesions can also be found in the mouth, throat, nails, skin, and scalp.
Male genital candidiasis: causes
The following causes are a trigger the appearance of male genital candidiasis :
- Men who are not circumcised.
- Long-term antibiotic intake can imbalance the vaginal flora or the male genital area.
- Consumption of medications such as corticosteroids or antidepressants.
- Presence of diabetes.
- Alteration of the immune system due to diseases such as HIV or lupus.
- I was having sex with previously infected people without any protection.
- Chemotherapy application.
- Eating habits marked by high consumption of carbohydrates, sweets, and beer (by yeast) these foods create a conducive environment for the development of fungal microorganisms.
- Environmental factors such as humidity or heat play an essential role in producing this disease.
- In cases where proper hygiene measures are not kept.
Symptoms of genital yeast infection in men
The symptoms of male genital candidiasis are related to the infection of the penis; among them are:
- Moist skin at the level of the penis.
- Bright-looking white areas around the penis.
- Redness of the skin
- Irritation and itching around the head of the penis.
- The increased volume under the foreskin.
- Possible pain when urinating or during sexual intercourse.
- Presence of discharge similar to semen.
In cases where symptoms worsen, emotional disturbances may occur, such as:
- Loss of self-esteem.
- Humor changes.
- Relationship problems.
Genital candidiasis in men: treatment
Once the symptoms are known, you should see a doctor. He will be in charge of making the diagnosis through a medical history, questioning, and knowledge of personal history. These elements will give the guideline for diagnosing and treating the disease.
It is important to note that there is a cure for genital candidiasis. It is carried out in men from home using local antifungals such as Fluconazole, which must be applied daily for 7 to 10 days, always with a prescription.
When the desired effect is not achieved with this application, we will proceed to the use of antifungals for oral use for approximately 14 days.
It is also essential to maintain proper hygienic measures to avoid reinfection, especially in dry genital areas.
The prognosis of this disease is excellent, as long as a local or systemic treatment is applied according to the symptoms that the patient presents and the necessary measures are taken to avoid reinfection.
Natural remedies for male genital yeast infection
A group of foods acts specifically as natural, anti-inflammatory, and antipruritic antibiotics that effectively contribute to the treatment of candidiasis. Among them are:
- Garlic: it is a natural antibiotic widely used in candidiasis. It should be consumed with meals or ingested daily in the morning.
- Probiotics: yogurt is one of these natural foods used effectively in curing yeast infections. It is recommended to eat it without sugar on an empty stomach or apply it to the injured genital area.
- Apple cider vinegar: the benefits obtained with the application of this product are noticeable. In a container with warm water, place a cup of vinegar and let it rest for half an hour. With this, it is possible to balance the PH of the genital area and create an inhospitable environment for the fungus.
- Chamomile tea: due to its anti-inflammatory effect, it can be consumed or applied directly to the affected area two or three times during the day.
In cases where this alteration occurs, prevention plays an essential role in controlling the disease from a doctor’s hand; the appropriate treatment will be obtained concerning the symptoms that the patient presents. Do not hesitate to go to your trusted doctor, as in this way, you will receive better results during the treatment application.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Male Genital Candidiasis: Symptoms and Treatment, we recommend that you enter our Male Reproductive System category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.