Guttate psoriasis, also known as psoriasis guttate, is a type of psoriasis that causes reddish or pink spots on the skin of some areas of the body in the form of tears. It is a skin condition that usually manifests more frequently in young people under 30 years of age, although it can also appear in older adults. After the first appearance of the guttate psoriasis outbreak, it usually disappears spontaneously. However, it is also possible to lead to plaque psoriasis or that the explosions reappear over time. To alleviate the symptoms, a specific treatment recommended by a dermatologist is necessary, including the use of some medications or others, depending on the severity of the condition. Read on to learn more about guttate psoriasis: symptoms and treatment.
Causes of guttate psoriasis
Although the exact cause of guttate psoriasis is unknown, specialists have pointed out that it may be due to a response of the immune system to a particular bacterial or viral infection or the weakening of the immune system in the face of stressful situations, or the accumulation of toxic substances in the body. Next, we detail which are the main factors that can favor the development of an outbreak of psoriasis in drops:
- Bacterial infections: In most cases, guttate psoriasis appears after infections caused by strep bacteria, usually in pharyngitis or tonsillitis. In 80% of cases, the outbreak of gout psoriasis manifests itself a few weeks after having suffered the infection.
- Viral infections, such as rubella, roseola, or chickenpox.
- You are taking certain medications.
- Excessive alcohol consumption.
It has also been pointed out that there is a high genetic factor since psoriasis is more frequent in those people who have a family history of this condition. In this case, specialists hold the theory that the cause is an error of the immune system, which would mistake healthy cells for harmful substances or agents.
This condition can be much more severe in those with a weakened immune system, such as patients with HIV / AIDS, autoimmune disorders, or those receiving chemotherapy treatment for cancer.
Guttate psoriasis symptoms
This type of psoriasis usually affects parts of the body, such as the trunk, arms, legs, and scalp, although it can manifest in other areas. Among the most common symptoms of guttate psoriasis are those listed below:
- The appearance of spots on the skin in tiny drops or tears. They are usually red or pink and may be covered in scaly skin.
- Itching or itching in the affected area.
- It was stinging and irritating to the skin.
A gouty psoriasis flare may start on the trunk, legs, or arms and later spread to the face, scalp, or ears.
Guttate psoriasis treatment
The treatment of psoriasis guttata is intended to control the infection, relieve symptoms and prevent other conditions that may develop. In general, cases of gouty psoriasis are usually treated by one of the following methods:
- In the case of an active bacterial infection, the doctor may recommend antibiotic treatment.
- Application of topical medications to the affected area, either in creams, gels, or shampoos. These may contain corticosteroids to reduce inflammation and itching, derivatives of vitamin D, retinoids (derived from vitamin A), coal tar, or salicylic acid.
- In the most severe cases, systemic treatments may be prescribed to suppress the immune system response, including methotrexate and cyclosporine.
- Phototherapy treatments (exposure of the skin to ultraviolet light) can also help improve the condition of skin lesions.
Guttate psoriasis: duration
Outbreaks of gouty psoriasis can disappear spontaneously after a short time, but on other occasions, it requires specific medical treatment.
In some cases, the condition has worsened to plaque-like psoriasis or to the point of becoming a chronic disease. When proper treatment is not received, the patient may experience pain, severe itching, or secondary skin infections.
Tips and natural remedies for psoriasis in drops
In addition to the treatment of psoriasis in drops above, it is also essential that those affected take into account a series of recommendations to keep outbreaks under control and reduce the severity of symptoms when they appear:
- Reduce stress and learn to relax.
- Always keep the skin well hydrated by using emollient creams.
- Take care of your diet, increasing the intake of vegetables, fruits, oily fish, whole grains, and seeds; in a diet for psoriasis, foods rich in antioxidants, omega 3, folic acid, and vitamins A and C. On the contrary, excessive consumption of red meat, whole dairy products, fried or very fatty foods should be avoided, and foods with a lot of sugar, vinegar, spices, and alcohol. Expand this information by consulting the article Diet to combat psoriasis.
There are also some home remedies for guttate psoriasis that can help relieve symptoms and make the skin heal more quickly:
- Warm baths with Epsom salts or oatmeal to reduce inflammation and itching.
- Apply some aloe vera to the affected area.
- Apply a small amount of linseed oil or arnica oil on skin lesions.
- Take infusions such as dandelion, milk thistle, or boldo to eliminate toxins and help the body recover.
- Place marigold poultices on damaged skin to promote regeneration and prevent flaking.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Guttate psoriasis: symptoms and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.