Stress is a mechanism of the organism which is activated as a physiological and comes into play hormone cortisol response. In this way, the body can cope with a situation perceived as threatening or emergency.
Stress is the body’s way of reacting to a challenge. It is considered positive in minor episodes since it can help avoid a danger, meet a deadline or overcome a difficulty. At FastlyHealwe, tell you how it occurs, the symptoms, and tips to reduce stress.
Table of Contents
How is stress produced?
In everyday situations without stress, 90% of the energy of the body’s cells is used to carry out its metabolism of repair, renewal, and formation of new tissues. However, when stress occurs, the brain sends a message to the adrenal glands, which are located in the kidneys, to release the hormone cortisol. Cortisol allows the body to release glucose into the blood and thus be able to produce large amounts of energy for the muscles.
Thus, during this episode of stress, all the functions performed by the cells of recovery, renewal, and creation of new tissues are paralyzed to resolve this alarm situation. For this reason, the prolongation of this state for an extended period can lead to health problems.
The risk factors and causes of significant stress are:
- Problems at work.
- Start a new job.
- Family problems.
- Death of a spouse or close family member.
- Money problems.
- Have serious health problems.
Symptoms of stress
Stress can trigger several physical and emotional symptoms. As these are common problems, there is usually no thought to relate them to stress. Regarding the biological indicators, we find:
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Bad memory.
- Frequent aches and pains.
- Lack of energy or concentration.
- Sexual problems
- Stiff neck and tight jaw.
- Upset stomach
- Weight loss or gain.
On the emotional side, the following symptoms that can be caused by stress are included:
- Lack of sense of humor.
- Constant irritability
- Feelings of anger
- Desire to cry.
In this article, you can consult the foods to combat stress.
Tips to reduce stress
Even though there is no definitive treatment or remedy to eradicate the feeling of stress, there are a series of tips that we can take into account to do everything on our site and be able to manage stress:
- Sleep a minimum of 7 to 8 hours. In case of sleep disorders, passionflower or valerian can be a solution to rest well.
- Do intense physical activity. Not only does it decrease the stress hormone cortisol, but our body releases endorphins. Endorphins are chemicals that make us feel good and boost our mood naturally. In this article, we reveal the foods that increase endorphins.
- Practice sport that involves greater body awareness and balance. Activities such as yoga or tai chi are recommended because they generate so-called alpha waves, low-intensity electromagnetic waves that help achieve a state of relaxation.
- Get up early in the morning.
- Customize your workplace. It is essential that you feel comfortable and enables your space to feel comfortable, as close as possible to the feeling of being at home.
- Redistribute, order, and clean the room. Make sure that your room is your sanctuary where you can escape and feel in a comfort zone. Rearranging your layout can help you see things from another perspective and solve problems that concern you with more ease and distance.
- Divide big tasks into small goals. Big goals are achieved step by step, and the sum of small steps will take us to the top. It is good to set goals, but better if they are short and medium-term so that they are more likely to be affordable.
- Find some time to dedicate to leisure. It is good to allow yourself to choose the activity you most want to do to disconnect without feeling guilt for committing yourself to your free time.
- Drink lots of water, juices, and infusions. It is essential to keep our bodies hydrated to face difficult situations.
- Avoid coffee. Although the general trend is to increase coffee consumption in times of stress, they are dehydrating and harmful foods, increasing the chances of anxiety.
- Eat a balanced diet. In times of stress, proteins, vitamin C, zinc, green tea, vitamin A, ginseng, and licorice should be enhanced. This implies including fruits and vegetables in the diet, such as oranges, blueberries, kiwi, broccoli, meat, eggs, and fish.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tips to reduce stress, we recommend that you enter our Wellbeing category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.