At some point in your life, have you or your children presented a cough, be it dry or with phlegm that is difficult to calm down? It is quite exasperating to feel that you cannot rest due to the intense cough that can afflict you at any time of the day or night. Cough represents a response of the body to keep the lungs and airways clean, therefore, it is a physiological defense mechanism against foreign substances or mucus in order to eliminate it and allow the passage of free air.
The onion trick has become the best natural treatment to treat a cough, which has prompted it to be the remedy of choice for this annoying symptom. In this FastlyHealarticle we will clear up all your doubts regarding the onion cough trick: does it work? We explain it to you!
What is a cough and why does it occur?
The Coughing is a physiological defense mechanism for all human beings who keeps clean airways of foreign substances or mucus in order to achieve the step outdoors from the nose to the lungs.
There are 2 different types of cough that can affect both adults and children:
- The dry cough : is an irritant or nonproductive cough, ie no output mucus secreting airway thus provoked, generally this type of cough creates wherein each turn increases vicious circle irritating process pathways respiratory.
- The productive cough : it is a cough that generates mucous discharge accompanied by nasal congestion and shortness of breath.
The cough is dry or with mucus can present you for different causes such as:
- Previous irritation of the respiratory tract flu, catarrh.
- Inflammation of the airways from air conditioning or heating.
- Allergic processes to cigarette smoke, house dust, pollen or any foreign agent.
In the following article you will discover the difference between a dry and a productive cough .
Does onion work for a cough?
If it is interesting for you to know if onion is effective when treating a cough, in fact it is, onion is considered an effective natural remedy to calm an uncomfortable and sometimes painful cough, since it has expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties .
In addition, another of its benefits is that it can be used in both children and adults , being effective in both cases. The best way to use it to be effective is at night , before sleeping, to prevent annoying cough during sleep.
Ideally, cut the onion into 4 pieces and place it in a bowl near the bed, on a table, for example. It is also recommended to keep the room closed so that the steam concentrates much better. In about 20 minutes the cough will have subsided and will allow you to fall into deep sleep.
Natural remedies for onion cough
There are also countless ways to use onion that are also effective in treating annoying cough:
- Chop the onion into pieces and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar and a few drops of water, this reduces the smell a bit and humidifies the room making the aroma flow.
- Another useful remedy is prepared with onion and honey , the onion is peeled and cut into small pieces and placed in an airtight bag, 7 tablespoons of honey are added, this mixture is left to rest for at least 2 hours after this has elapsed. time it is recommended to liquefy and place it in a glass container. For this remedy to be useful, 2 tablespoons should be drunk every 6 hours according to the patient’s response.
- A warm drink of onion with garlic has an expectorant effect that allows to expel phlegm and relieve cough much faster, it is prepared by boiling 2 cups of water once it has boiled it is removed and chopped garlic and onion are added, this is left to rest for at least 20 minutes before straining. For optimal benefits it is recommended to take 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup before going to sleep.
- The onion juice with lemon is also beneficial when treating coughs, the extract of ½ onion and the juice of ½ lemon taken 2 tablespoons every 3 hours will be enough to calm this annoying symptom.
There are many ways in which onion can be used to calm a cough, although it is a natural remedy, it is quite an effective medicine. In the following article you will discover more remedies with onion for coughs . On the other hand, it is important that if the cough does not improve, go to the doctor who will be the one to treat any health condition in a precise and specialized way.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Onion Cough Trick: Does it work? , we recommend that you enter our category of Lung and respiratory tract .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.