It was in 1611, when some monks from the religious community of the Discalced Carmelites discovered the properties of what is now commonly known as Agua del Carmen or Agua de Melisa. It is a formula created from medicinal plants in order to cure all nervous problems.
Among the components of Agua del Carmen are lemon balm and cinnamon which, combined, allow to enhance its effect. It is available in pharmacies and herbalists without the need for a prescription.
Agua del Carmen achieved great popularity after being able to calm upset people after drinking its drops diluted in water. That is why in this FastlyHealarticle we will talk a little more about Agua del Carmen: what it is for, how to drink it and contraindications .
Table of Contents
What is the water of Carmen for?
Agua del Carmen, melissa or melissa water has been known since the seventeenth century, it was created by the Discalced Carmelite monks, they devised this particular formula as an anti- hysterical remedy that allowed to calm the nerves and all the emotional alterations that nervous states imply. Since then it has been used to treat specific conditions such as:
- Nervous attacks or hysteria.
- Character changes.
- Psychic disorders.
- Calm the anguish.
- Calm anxiety.
- Relieve the stress.
- Improves insomnia .
- Relieve gastric discomfort.
- Calms nervous dyspepsia.
- Lack of appetite.
- Tachycardia .
Melissa water, as it is also known, is a herbal-based formula that contains various medicinal plants such as Melissa, which acts directly on the nervous system generating a calming effect, angelica root, cloves and cinnamon, to which it is attributed digestive properties. The formula may change depending on who made it and the laboratory through which it is marketed.
Currently the ideal formula or recipe to prepare Agua del Carmen contains the following components:
- One liter of 80 ° alcohol.
- Half a liter of distilled water.
- 20 tablespoons of lemon balm leaves and flowers or 400 gr.
- A tablespoon of crushed Angelica root.
- 30 gr of the lemon rind.
- 10 g of cinnamon.
- 8 cloves.
All the ingredients are mixed well and placed in a glass bottle, where it is left to marinate for at least three weeks and then filtered and stored in a place away from light and cool.
How to drink Agua del Carmen
This medicine is available over the counter , however, for optimal effects it should be used properly, following all instructions and if in doubt, see a doctor .
Agua del Carmen or Melisa comes in two presentations, one of 40 ml and the other of 100 ml. It should be administered after adding it to an infusion of sugar water or some tea such as chamomile or linden.
It should normally be diluted ½ or 1 teaspoon in water or tea and administered 2 to 4 times a day . In case you have forgotten the regular dose of Agua del Carmen, do not try to double the dose to make up for the one you missed.
Contraindications and adverse effects of Agua del Carmen
The main contraindications to the administration of agua del carmen are:
- It should not be administered to children under 12 years of age .
- It is contraindicated in pregnant women unless the doctor indicates otherwise and at an appropriate dose.
- It should not be administered during the lactation period unless the doctor indicates it.
- Agua del carmen should not be used when there is a history of allergy or hypersensitivity to any component of this product.
- It is contraindicated in patients with conditions in the gastrointestinal tract or gallbladder .
- It is important not to use agua del carmen for more than 7 or 10 days unless the doctor indicates otherwise.
- It is contraindicated to take Melisa water in conjunction with central nervous system depressant medications .
- It should not be used in case of fever of unknown origin .
- It is contraindicated in the presence of liver damage .
- It should not be used in alcoholic people .
- Its use is contraindicated if we are going to drive or operate any type of dangerous machinery .
On the other hand, there may be adverse effects after the administration of agua del carmen. These include:
- Allergic reactions on the skin and mucous membranes after the administration of Melisa water.
- Gastrointestinal disorders in sensitive people, for example, heartburn in people suffering from gastroesophageal reflux .
Agua del Carmen has been used for many years and is available in pharmacies and herbalists, and can be purchased without a prescription. However, it is always recommended to see a doctor first and, if there is any unfavorable reaction, immediately consult a specialist and discontinue use.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Agua del Carmen: what it is for, how to take it and contraindications , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.