Have you felt a lump in your throat? Do you think you can’t breathe well? Are you worried about what you think? A common reason for consultation in medical emergencies is that the patient reports that he cannot swallow anything and says that he has a lump in his throat that makes it difficult to breathe. Medically, this is what is called the hysterical globe or pharyngeal globus. It does not imply a physical condition, although it does imply a psychological one. Some people feel that they have a mass or lump in the throat. However, what is true is that there is nothing that obstructs the passage of food or breathing. The pharyngeal Globus is considered a symptom of anxiety. However, to offer you more information, in the following FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about what the hysterical balloon is, and its symptoms are.
What is the hysterical balloon, and what are its causes
The hysterical balloon or balloon in the throat is nothing more than a subjective symptom, a psychological sensation that a person may be able to feel as if it were a lump or mass in the throat region without physical evidence of any of them. Although the cause or mechanism by which this annoying sensation occurs has not been described, it is a manifestation of anxiety.
People often define this as the lump in the throat, as if it had an obstructive process when in reality, there is nothing that hinders the passage of food and breathing.
This manifestation of anxiety is frequent in the population. Almost half have experienced it at some time in their life, and it usually disappears once the cause of the concern decreases or ceases.
The hysterical balloon itself is widely related to emotions such as:
- The anguish.
- The anxiety.
- Suppressed anger.
- The sadness.
- Emotional stress.
Although there is no physiological mechanism that can explain this feeling of a lump in the throat, it is known that it is related to different or abnormal activity of the esophageal muscles, specifically when it is impossible to express feelings or emotions.
In addition to this, the hysterical balloon can be related to an inflammatory process of the throat such as the hypopharynx or the larynx; there are other related disorders such as gastroesophageal reflux or conditions of the motility of the esophagus.
Menopause is also related to the manifestation of globus, it is a rare symptom, but the woman may also experience developing insomnia, headaches, changes in libido, and hot flashes.
A study for the Spanish otorhinolaryngology Acta  investigated the relationship between the hysterical balloon and some psychopathological disorders. Thirty people who presented hysterical balloon symptoms without evidence of any organic alteration to justify the symptoms were studied. Of these participants, six belonged to the male sex and 24 to the female sex, the sex with the highest incidence of presenting hysterical balloons.
Symptoms of the hysterical balloon
Here we explain the main symptoms of the hysterical balloon :
- The most common symptom of the hysterical balloon is the sensation of a foreign body or lump in the throat, believing that you have something stuck in the classic manifestation of this condition. It is often thought that an internal swelling presses the throat as if there were a piece of food that blocks the area. However, there is no difficulty in eating or drinking. Any food can pass without any problem through the throat.
- The hysterical bolus usually appears when there is a moment of a calm product of accumulating all the problems.
- There may be difficulty speaking even though there is no proper obstruction.
- Generally, when the hysterical balloon occurs, there is no pain except in severe cases of anxiety.
Hysterical balloon: diagnosis and treatment
The doctor will indicate a series of tests to differentiate that the presence of this sensation of a lump in the throat is not a physical disorder. In this way, he would be able to make the proper diagnosis and treat the anxiety to improve this condition.
Specifically, there is no treatment for the lump in the throat or hysterical balloon. However, the symptoms will disappear when the emotional disorders affecting the person improve.
Depending on the problem or associated disease, the doctor may indicate treatment with antidepressants, anxiolytics, or sedatives.
How to improve hysterical balloon
It is crucial to channel anxiety to effectively improve the feeling of a lump in the throat or hysterical balloon :
- A hot bath with a few drops of lavender oil has calming effects on the nervous system; it is recommended to take 20 minutes to relax and reduce stress.
- Applying a few drops of lavender to the pillow to help reduce stress and anxiety.
- In the same way, ginger and chamomile tea help reduce feelings of anxiety, fresh ginger root and chamomile, at least three teaspoons of its flowers will be enough to prepare an infusion that improves generalized anxiety disorder. This once helps to reduce the feeling of a lump in the throat.
The hysterical balloon has affected many people at any time in their lives where anguish and emotional stress have prevailed in any situation. Knowing that this condition exists and its symptoms, staying calm allows it to be channeled in an optimal, healthy, and satisfactory way.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to What is the hysterical balloon and what are its symptoms, we recommend that you enter our category of Ear, nose, and throat.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.