The applications of medical science today extend to practically every possible branch of health, prevention, and even the development of the physical body. And, just as every medicine has its indications and care in its use, in the same way, it is necessary to know the correct services and modes of application of any synthetic product, regardless of the purpose of its use.
Due to this need, in this FastlyHealarticle, we answer what anabolic steroid injections are for. We will discuss the primary considerations to consider when using this range of products so popular today.
Table of Contents
What are anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids, called by their full name steroidal androgenic anabolics, are compounds derived from the male hormone testosterone. These synthetic steroids were developed and tested in humans for the first time in the 1930s by German scientists, on the one hand as a resource to try to combat hypogonadism, and on the other hand, as a tool to increase strength and aggressiveness in soldiers.
The classification of anabolic steroids are made up of a variety of specific hormones, and their use is prescribed, depending on the purpose, as they have two main effects :
- Anabolic effect: they enhance the growth of bones and various tissues and increase the production of red blood cells.
- Androgenic effect: allow or accelerate the development of virile (male) traits.
Testosterone has a balance between both effects. Nandrolone and its derivatives are used more for anabolic effects, and, to accentuate androgenic effects, dihydrotestosterone (abbreviated DHT) is used.
Anabolic steroids to increase muscle mass
This is the most widespread effect of this series of drugs, not only because of their frequent use but also because of the many controversies that have been generated in recent decades by their administration to athletes, who end up being banned for doping during a competition or penalized years later by showing their use during their sports career. This is because steroidal androgenic anabolics stimulate the muscle and metabolic development of the consumer above the performance of an organism under normal physiological conditions, altering legitimate competitiveness.
Anabolic steroid injections provide the following benefits for athletic performance:
- A relining of muscle fibers naturally breaks physical exercise or high-impact strength.
- They increase the appetite.
- They improve competitive performance when doing any physically and mentally demanding activity.
- In cases of bodybuilding practice, it is a handy and efficient tool, knowing how to administer it.
However, even though all its intentions appear benevolent, it is prohibited in many competitions, and its use should be regulated due to the following factors:
- Not all organisms receive the effect of steroids in the same way.
- Its unsupervised consumption can cause complex adverse effects.
- Many users venture to use non-certified products, ‘megadose,’ and extend injection cycles for too long for these athletic purposes.
Steroidal androgenic anabolic for tissue recovery
But anabolics are not only used at the sports level to improve performance; this product also fulfills many functions in a medical group, mainly to recover muscle and skeletal mass in diseases such as:
- Getting closer to their medical applications, these steroids are a resource to help patients with cancer and HIV / AIDS, often consumed by the effects of these diseases.
- It is applied in cases of post-menopausal osteoporosis and old age. However, it is pertinent to clarify that it does not cure the degenerative factor of the same (generally chronic) that causes the wear of the bones; it only stimulates their formation again.
- They are applied with some frequency in cases of severe burns for the rapid recovery of the dermal tissue.
- Cases of problems in protein metabolism.
- In patients in bed for a long time, to prevent some of their muscles or organs from atrophying.
Remembering the differentiation that we made at the beginning of the article, those steroids that exert a more significant anabolic effect are used for this type of case.
Anabolic steroids to treat late puberty and hypogonadism
Its application by pediatricians to children with growth and sexual development problems is frequent, although, in some of these cases, the professional could also resort to oral administration. It is also prescribed when you want to increase the size of the penis in adults and increase libido in men, although they can reduce the size of the testicles and reduce hairiness and masculine features.
For these cases, those steroids with more significant androgenic effects are used.
Risks of anabolic-androgenic steroid injections
It is currently a product with regulated consumption in some countries, while in others, it is available over the counter. Regardless of how the issue is in your country, it is necessary to know in advance the risks in its use :
- Male infertility: in addition to gonad atrophy in men. Paradoxically, this drug, prescribed for potency and sexual development, carries the risk of causing sterility and damage to the sexual glands and male sexual apparatus. This is because its excessive use makes the body understand that it does not need to produce testosterone, and its original producers and the organs and glands dependent on them are harmed.
- Female infertility: and reduction of female traits in women. For this reason, the interruption of menstrual cycles, removal of the breasts, enlargement of the clitoris, and the appearance of masculine features such as a thick voice, increased hairiness, or alopecia (hair loss) can be removed occur.
- Reduced libido (sexual desire) in women.
- Gynecomastia (breast enlargement) in men.
- It increased aggressive attitudes and irritability.
- Risk of heart, liver, and adrenal deficiencies.
- Incorrect injection applications.
- Use of tainted products or mixed with other components, with or without the user’s knowledge.
- Drug dependence.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to What are anabolic steroid injections for, we recommend that you enter our Medication and medical tests category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.