Varicocele is an inflammation of the veins found in the scrotum, being common in men between 15 and 25 years old. What happens is that the veins of the spermatic cord swell preventing blood from circulating properly, causing a mass to form in the testicles, usually on the left side, causing a lot of pain. There are many complications that this condition can bring, but at FastlyHealwe clarify if varicocele causes infertility .
Causes of varicocele
This condition is considered multifactorial, that is, it is caused by several agents such as:
- The characteristic vascularization that this area has, and that exerts greater pressure on the left side
- Increased blood flow at puberty.
- It can appear in older men due to a kidney tumor.
- There are also studies that consider that genetics have to do with the appearance of varicocele, therefore if a man in your family has had this disease, it is possible that you may present it.
It should be noted that there are several types of varicocele , and these will depend on how palpable the dilation of the vein is in the testicles. The types of varicocele are as follows:
- Grade 1 : there is a dilation, but it is not palpable, so an echo is necessary to diagnose it.
- Grade 2 : Dilation can be palpated, but only while the patient is making a movement such as coughing or pushing.
- Grade 3 : The varicocele is palpable without exertion, but it is not visible.
- Grade 4 : it is palpable and visible without making any effort.
Does it affect fertility?
Infertility is a complication of varicocele and whatever the degree it presents, there is a risk of infertility, since it affects the quality of the sperm .
Other ways in which varicocele can affect fertility include:
- It affects the number of sperm that are formed and their mobility.
- It can cause injury to the tissue of the testicles, decreasing their size.
- Without proper treatment it can affect sperm formation and testosterone production.
- Varicocele can cause alterations in the genetic load of sperm.
In case of varicocele and infertility , it does not mean that this is the cause, generally there are fertility problems prior to the diagnosis of this condition. In fact, the incidence of varicocele is usually higher in men who already have fertility problems than in the rest. In vitro fertilization or artificial insemination can always be an option in case you want to have children.
Treatment for varicocele
To relieve pain, if it occurs, your urologist may recommend some scrotal support, if it does not disappear or you have other symptoms, it is necessary to study another type of treatment.
Surgery called varicocelectomy is another treatment option, in which an incision will be made below the abdomen to redirect blood flow. On the other hand, there is the embolization of varicocele, where through a catheter the blood flow to the vein that has problems is blocked and it is redirected to the normal ones.
After any of these surgeries it will be necessary to keep cold compresses in this area to eliminate the swelling of the penis . It is also important to carry out a spermiogram before surgery to be able to appreciate if there is any evolution in the quality of the sperm.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Does varicocele cause infertility? , we recommend that you enter our category of Male reproductive system .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.